Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Bear Pit > PT/ H2H

Old 08-30-2004, 10:18   #1
Kyobanim

Does your self defense work?

Per NDD's orders . . .

How do you know your self defense will work?

I had the opportunity to use the self defense I teach last year. I stopped in at the local Winn Dixie to pick up a few things my wife called about. It was after class so I had my dobok on with 'The Belt'. I had just left the store with my bag in one hand and my keys in the other. A guy was approaching me and started making the appropriate karate movie sounds and hand motions. I just smiled and nodded my head like I usually do. As he walked past he grabbed my left wrist. Without thinking I dropped the bag and keys I was carrying and grabbed his hand with my free hand. Using a wrist joint lock I took the guy down probably using a little more force than I should have. I actually held my temper as I didn't kick him, picked up my stuff and left.

I train 4 to 5 times a week for at least 2 hours. How often do you train at whatever you do? Are you confident it works? Why?

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

"Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing."
Optimus Prime
Kyobanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 10:24   #2
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Didn't hurt a bit did it?

I've been doing something different lately. As a cool down from PT, I've been doing some combatives combinations at Tai Chi speed. Chin jabs, axe hands - that kind of thing. I tried to teach myself Tai Chi from a video tape, but I kept hurting my neck from looking over my should at the screen.

I also hit the bag a couple of times a week. I plan on ordering some rubber AF fighters so I can start working on that (the real deal is much too sharp to learn on).
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 10:59   #3
Jack Moroney (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Well after reading all the various posts on this net I have taken a new tact. I simply stand my ground and hand them a calling card with AL 's address on one side and RL's address on the other.

Jack Moroney
Old 08-30-2004, 11:01   #4
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Quote:
Originally posted by Jack Moroney
Well after reading all the various posts on this net I have taken a new tact. I simply stand my ground and hand them a calling card with AL 's address on one side and RL's address on the other.

Jack Moroney
LOL
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 11:22   #5
ccrn
Guerrilla

Re: Does your self defense work?

Quote:
Originally posted by Kyobanim

By doing what you did and actualy using it.

Most schools dont hit which is why a lot of guys take some type of "martial art" for a few years then get their noses bloodied by some punk.

Ive seen a few styles and trained a bit myself. I have come to the conclusion it almost doesnt matter what "style" you take as long as you hit and get hit.

Using it in the street is a dangerous proposition however.

What I look for in a school is if they actualy spar and hit. Competition in the ring helps too and by that I dont mean point systems.

Lethality aside, Ive noticed that true hitting styles like boxing, kick boxing, and grappling like brazilian jujitsu or sambo dominate UFC.

You did say self defense, not martial art-

ccrn
ccrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 12:15   #6
Jack Moroney (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Re: Does your self defense work?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kyobanim
[B]Per NDD's orders . . .

QUOTE]

To get a little more serious here, I never know what will or will not work and I never plan ahead of time as to what I am going to do as most of what I have ever done ,with the exception of wrestling and of course those times in hockey when payback was in order, has mainly been in a reactive vice a proactive scenario. I am not into styles, types, or an art of anytype that you folks are. I just take whatever is presented and deal with it as best I can.

Jack Moroney
Old 08-30-2004, 12:18   #7
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Quote:
I just take whatever is presented and deal with it as best I can.
Bruce Lee in one sentence. Well said Sir.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 08-30-2004, 13:28   #8
QRQ 30
Quiet Professional

I'm 64 1/2 years old, don't start shit, don't take shit and still have all of my parts. I guess it works.

Pain and suffering are inevitable,
misery is optional.

http://tadahling.com/memoriesofaspecialforcessoldier/
QRQ 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 13:33   #9
CPTAUSRET
Gun Pilot

Quote:
Originally posted by QRQ 30
I'm 64 1/2 years old, don't start shit, don't take shit and still have all of my parts. I guess it works.

You just made my day, you are older than me!

Thanks, I needed that.

Terry
Old 08-30-2004, 22:19   #10
MAB32

Like James Caan said in a movie to a young punk who got into his face:

"The only thing you can assume about an old guy like me is that I am a survivor!"

By the way, anybody else here like Kelly McCann's stuff while we are on the subject?
Old 08-30-2004, 22:25   #11
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by MAB32
By the way, anybody else here like Kelly McCann's stuff while we are on the subject?
Ooh, Ooh! That's me!
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 08-30-2004, 22:39   #12
MAB32

NDD,

I purchased his "Combatives" tapes almost 2-years ago. I have yet to find anything better. Have you?
Old 08-30-2004, 22:45   #13
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

He's got a bunch out over on Paladin. That's all I know that's out. He's been busy since 9/11. The shooting tapes are good as well, he's as good as anybody I know with a Glock (I haven't seen Guy shoot).

I have originals of the first shooting tapes (before they went public and were edited).

I used to train with him 3-4 times a year for 10-14 days at a time.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 08-30-2004, 22:48   #14
MAB32

NDD:

Those shooting tapes wouldn't be the four volume set he had out 3-4 years ago? Didn't one tape in the series deal with fighting with folders or something to that fact?
Old 08-30-2004, 22:53   #15
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

3 tapes, all guns. The knives etc were in the works. he gave me these his own bad self.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?