Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Bear Pit > PT/ H2H

Old 12-06-2010, 02:22   #1
Suivez Moi
Asset

Location: Stationed at Schofield Barracks. Currently deployed to Iraq.
Rucking on a treadmill while deployed

I am currently in Iraq on a small FOB. I have been trying to find a battle buddy to ruck with me with no luck. Is ruck marching on a treadmill a good idea or is there a reason I should not do it?

I searched the forum and did not come up with any results.
Suivez Moi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 02:38   #2
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suivez Moi View Post
I am currently in Iraq on a small FOB. I have been trying to find a battle buddy to ruck with me with no luck. Is ruck marching on a treadmill a good idea or is there a reason I should not do it?

I searched the forum and did not come up with any results.
Do you ascertain a difference between rucking in sand (or on a road) and rucking on a treadmill that would cause physical damage?

Personally, I don't; if I were in your position, I'd ruck on a treadmill or up and down stairs or even "in place" if I had to do it to stay in condition in the event I needed to be in good enough shape to save my ass.

However, I'm not a Medic-there may indeed be a caveat of which I'm unaware.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:30   #3
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

Quote:
...Is ruck marching on a treadmill a good idea or is there a reason I should not do it?
Drive on but understand that rucking on a treadmill is very different from rucking on the road or over rough terrain, just like running. While it is better than nothing I wouldn't show up to Camp McKall expecting to enjoy SFAS too much.

HTH,

Crip

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 06:33   #4
Fatum Me Ducat
Quiet Professional

Not a medic, dr, etc...
You'll be fine unless you fall down (seen it happen... funny stuff). The only thing you really have to worry about is the normal wear and tear your body takes from rucking as in any other environment. The treadmill will take the worst of it. Most PFC's don't allow you to wear boots on the treadmill with rucksacks because it tears up the equipment quicker.
"People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People's heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true."
Fatum Me Ducat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 09:36   #5
Suivez Moi
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatum Me Ducat View Post
Not a medic, dr, etc...
You'll be fine unless you fall down (seen it happen... funny stuff). The only thing you really have to worry about is the normal wear and tear your body takes from rucking as in any other environment. The treadmill will take the worst of it. Most PFC's don't allow you to wear boots on the treadmill with rucksacks because it tears up the equipment quicker.

I didn't think of the gym not allowing it. That is definitely something to consider.

Surgicalcric: I understand and I wish there was a better way of doing it. I have been bugging everyone in my platoon since we got here to go run and ruck with me.

We don't have any stairs here on the FOB. Everything is one story.

Thank you for the responses.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:47   #6
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Quote:
I have been bugging everyone in my platoon since we got here to go run and ruck with me.
Just outta curiosity, Bro-how does the rest of your platoon stay in shape?
Old 12-06-2010, 10:06   #7
Pete
Quiet Professional

Small FOB

Small is relative.

Even something with a walkable interior of a 100 meters per side gives you a 1/4 mile +/- track - and at least the view changes.

People might look at you funny but on a small FOB the word should get around pretty quick you're going out for SFAS.

If Plan A, the tread mill, falls through you can revert to Plan B walking the inside perimeter.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 14:49   #8
Suivez Moi
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
Just outta curiosity, Bro-how does the rest of your platoon stay in shape?
Most of them are either out of shape or all they do is lift weights. Some of them run on the treadmill but most of them don't. We spend a lot of time out on missions and most of them just sit around when we come back if there is nothing else to do.

I am the lowest ranking person in the platoon but I have been giving everyone crap about being out of shape. Two guys have started coming with me to the gym and my section sgt goes pretty often now. None of them want to ruck with me or run outside though.
Old 12-06-2010, 14:59   #9
Suivez Moi
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Small is relative.

Even something with a walkable interior of a 100 meters per side gives you a 1/4 mile +/- track - and at least the view changes.

People might look at you funny but on a small FOB the word should get around pretty quick you're going out for SFAS.

If Plan A, the tread mill, falls through you can revert to Plan B walking the inside perimeter.
Small is relative is very true. I could just walk around the LSA that I live in. It would be a good workout since it is all deep gravel.

There are a lot of people that are going to SFAS so it is not a big deal. I have never seen anyone ruck marching though. Most of them are waiting until it gets close to the time we re-deploy. Doesn't make any sense to me.
Old 12-06-2010, 15:42   #10
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Small is relative is very true. I could just walk around the LSA that I live in. It would be a good workout since it is all deep gravel.

There are a lot of people that are going to SFAS so it is not a big deal. I have never seen anyone ruck marching though. Most of them are waiting until it gets close to the time we re-deploy. Doesn't make any sense to me.
Trust me, the gravel is something you should get used to walking and running on.

Be careful with your ankles, though.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 17:53   #11
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Most of them are either out of shape...
Round is a shape...

Crip

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 18:31   #12
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Quote:
Most of them are either out of shape or all they do is lift weights. Some of them run on the treadmill but most of them don't. We spend a lot of time out on missions and most of them just sit around when we come back if there is nothing else to do.

I am the lowest ranking person in the platoon but I have been giving everyone crap about being out of shape. Two guys have started coming with me to the gym and my section sgt goes pretty often now. None of them want to ruck with me or run outside though.
That's a good start...
Old 12-06-2010, 19:33   #13
wet dog

SM -

Quote:
None of them want to ruck with me or run outside though.
Don't sweat the small stuff, running and rucking, is well, kind of a individual task anyway. Put on the weight, try to stay injury free, do what your Plt Sgt, and Plt Ldr. say, stay safe, thanks for putting on the uniform and serving this great country.

Trust me, you will not always be the lowest ranking person.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:03   #14
Suivez Moi
Asset

Roger.

Thank you for the replies. You guys are a huge motivation to me.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:43   #15
Ronin3790
FTFSI

If I may make a suggestion, you may also try squats in differing variations. You could also combine that with rucking on the treadmill or around your small FOB. Also, as an added measure, you should fatigue the muscles involved in rucking from toe to head. An example would be something like this:

All exercise are performed w/80lb ruck and to failure(not being able to correctly perform the exercise any longer)

toe raises (heels planted on the ground and raise toes) can use a resistance band
calf raises (heels hanging off step/stool and dropping below the top level)
stiff legged deadlifts(use ruck or barbell w/weights for resistance)
upright rows
400 meter speed ruck(walking as fast you possibly can without running)

2 minute rest

toe raises
calf raises(from the ground)
good mornings
shoulder shrugs(use ruck or barbell w/weights for resistance)
400 meter speed ruck

This goes on for two more sets with differing exercises but finally ends with an 800m speed ruck. So far I have only measured the results on a three mile ruck course but in a matter of a month performing this twice a week i went from 44 minute three miler to a 42 minute three miler.....any opinions? Critique from those who have been there would be greatly appreciated to inform me as to rather or not my "outside the box" thinking is effective or way out in the hinterlands.

upright rows
Ronin3790 is offline   Reply With Quote