Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Bear Pit > PT/ H2H

Old 08-21-2010, 19:45   #1
Aleucard
Asset

How useful would you say wearable weights/weighted clothing is for training?

Alright, here's what I'm wanting to do. First, get a few pairs of ankle/arm weights, and wear them any time I go out. When I get to where I don't notice them anymore, I add another set. Keep going until I run out of room or I get past the safety threshold (not sure, but my half-ass guess would be around 60 pounds per leg and maybe 30 per arm?). How would you guys (especially the QPs here) rate this as a sort of "passive" endurance/strength training regimen? I think this would help immensely with preparing for rucking (someone at later versions of this could carry one of those like it's a pillow), as well as for any time you might get caught off guard (since you're accustomed to being at least a few dozen pounds heavier, you can move a lot faster than normal, and for longer). Sorry if this was touched on previously, but I haven't been able to find anything about this sort of thing. Also, if you DO think this is a good idea, can you direct me to anything you would recommend for this? Something designed to be easily wearable for extended periods would help a lot.
Aleucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 19:48   #2
Eagle5US
Quiet Professional

If you want to "improve immensely on your rucking", then get a ruck, put weight in it, and walk. Next time, walk faster, or farther, or both, or add more weight, or some combination of the three. If you do not have an IBA, then there are weighted vests for purchase that can simulate that additional layer of weighted clothing.

Honestly, the only way to get better at doing a certain thing, is to do that thing.

Eagle

Ain't no one getting out of this world alive. All you can do is try to have some choice in the way you go. Prepare yourself (and your affairs), and when your number is up, die on your feet fighting rather than on your knees. And make the SOBs pay dearly."
The Reaper-3 Sep 04
Eagle5US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 20:00   #3
Aleucard
Asset

I was asking about how effective you think it would be doing this just walking around town doing shit. Any time I need to get out of the house, these things go on. I don't want to find out that this is a bad idea to try first hand. That would remove the benefit I'm trying to get in the first place (more physically fit, both for strength and endurance). I used rucking as an example of things this would help me to do; I'm not wanting to do this solely for that. It HELPS, I'm sure, but still. Thanks for the quick reply, though. Didn't really think there were that many dudes still conscious this time of night. ^_^;;
Old 08-21-2010, 20:44   #4
boots1933
Asset

or you could put in the work instead of looking for something "passive".

~ND

Last edited by boots1933; 08-21-2010 at 20:44. Reason: spelling error
boots1933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 21:00   #5
Aleucard
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by boots1933 View Post
or you could put in the work instead of looking for something "passive".

~ND
Alright, first, don't be an ass. Second, this was going to be in conjunction with actual training. I'm not stupid enough to think that this is all I'll need. Unless if you're commenting specifically on the use of this sort of training for someone wanting to be effective, then don't make smartass remarks like this and take up post slots. Thank you.
Old 08-21-2010, 21:13   #6
Eagle5US
Quiet Professional

Thumbs down

There was nothing asinine about his post. It is indeed factual. Perhaps instead of copping an attitude and flexing your "Internet muscle" between your brain and your digits, you could be clear in your post to begin with instead of expecting everyone else to know what you mean despite what you type.
Otherwise, maintain proper courtesy. You, like the poster you chided, are a guest here.

Eagle

Ain't no one getting out of this world alive. All you can do is try to have some choice in the way you go. Prepare yourself (and your affairs), and when your number is up, die on your feet fighting rather than on your knees. And make the SOBs pay dearly."
The Reaper-3 Sep 04
Eagle5US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 21:21   #7
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

In addition to my Brother's post, there are several threads here where weighted vest training is discussed; read them. In the future you would do well to use the search button before starting threads...

Crip

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 21:35   #8
blue02hd
Quiet Professional

Also consider, the conditioning that your feet will need. ( This is covered on many previous posts). Rucking not only conditions your body to the weight/ load and adjusted center of gravity, but it also works your feet, ankles, and boots. Showing up to selection without breaking your feet is a sure way to "passively" fail at that event. As mentioned in this thread before, the best way to prepare for rucking, is to ruck. There are no shortcuts, and it is pretty much black and white.

Lastly, thicken your skin as well. If a single comment here on a thread is enough to draw a sharp tongued comment from you I doubt you will have the ability to build, maintain, and increase rapport with people who honestly do not like you. Overtly aggressive attitudes are more likely suited for a Ranger BN. Attitude will also be assessed , so start practicing now.

GL, and I hope this helps.

Verified Tax Payer and Future Sex Symbol

Last edited by blue02hd; 08-21-2010 at 21:41.
blue02hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 21:42   #9
Foot Drill
Asset

Passive?

x

Last edited by Foot Drill; 01-28-2011 at 11:36.
Foot Drill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 21:52   #10
Aleucard
Asset

I found his post condescending in that it assumed that I thought that this was all I'd need, which seems like a fairly large leap of faith to me. I tend to get on the defensive when someone seems like they're talking down to me needlessly, which he looked like he was doing. Sorry if it made me look immature.

I don't like trying to look like an internet tough guy any more than you do. I talk online as if I'm talking to the person face to face; anything I'd say online, I'd say in the same conditions in the real world. I also don't like making an ass out of myself in someone else's space, despite how hard it is for me to catch most of it myself before I do it. I'll try to curtail that.

Rucking wasn't the major consideration when I thought of this; it was mainly for strength and endurance training. Being used to a comparatively large amount of added weight will help, but I know that the difference between this and actual rucking is huge. Thanks for pointing out the feet problem, too. You know any way to improve the durability of my feet from stuff like blisters? I imagine (and know to a limited degree from some personal events) that a long day of walking/jogging is going to make the dogs howl hard, so I want to do everything possible to minimize that.

Thanks for the comments, especially at this time of night.

EDIT: Yeah, I am expecting that getting anywhere near that's going to take more than a bit. I got some close-fitting ankle weights that won't draw much attention, and I might be able to think of something for the arms (or just switch out for a weighted vest), but I'm still expecting that I might draw some unwanted attention by the time I top out. Also, I was thinking more on comparing the initial weight of the rucksack to what I wear normally; that's still 60+ pounds of dead weight directly on my back, so a long hike is still probably going to be Hell. Weighted clothing is (I hope) going to make it suck less, however.

I'm thinking of this as a passive approach so far as something I can do when I'm not doing actual training. I'm not going to be able to hit the gym or do crunches for an hour on a guaranteed schedule under normal circumstances. What I like about passive training is that this can be done all day, every day, under any circumstances. It's probably not going to get as much or as fast results as the main training is, but this will be a very effective supplement for it. I'm just wondering how effective you guys think it would be as that, and more specifically, if it would be worth the effort.

Last edited by Aleucard; 08-21-2010 at 22:01. Reason: Reply to the above post
Old 08-21-2010, 22:08   #11
Foot Drill
Asset

x

Last edited by Foot Drill; 01-28-2011 at 11:36.
Foot Drill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 22:15   #12
ZonieDiver
Quiet Professional

You'll probably hear this from a moderator shortly, but here goes anyway. Feet have been covered at this site ad infinitum. So has conditioning, exercise systems, rucking, et al.

If you had searched these forums, you would surely have found this information. This is an SF site. SF soldiers, and those who wish to suuceed in their aspiration to become such, are 'self-starters'! Search for 'feet' - and while you are at it, add 'Message to Garcia' to that search.

Read more, post less is the mantra here.
Old 08-21-2010, 22:16   #13
Aleucard
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot Drill View Post
Amigo, use the search button. There is a ton of info on that topic. You're going to test the patience of the QP's by asking a basic question like that. Buy the book, GET SELECTED, then MAYBE start asking questions.
.... Sorry. I tend to ask random related questions that I think up while I'm making posts. I generally do searches for this sort of thing after the post is made, but if it gets on people's nerves enough, then from now on I'll do searches on these sorts of questions before I slip them in the middle of my posts. This is another of those things I tend to not catch myself doing until someone points it out. Sorry.
Old 08-21-2010, 22:20   #14
Kyobanim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleucard View Post
.... Sorry. I tend to ask random related questions that I think up while I'm making posts. I generally do searches for this sort of thing after the post is made, but if it gets on people's nerves enough, then from now on I'll do searches on these sorts of questions before I slip them in the middle of my posts. This is another of those things I tend to not catch myself doing until someone points it out. Sorry.
Search first, ask questions later. Do not post a question without doing an extensive search. The questions have been asked and answered already.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

"Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing."
Optimus Prime
Kyobanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 22:23   #15
wet dog

I don't even have to read the other posts to answer this one.

Forget everything you know, (take all your knowledge, place it in a bowl, and throw it over your shoulder), 500,000 years of human development have made us what we are today.

You want to get strong?

Run every day, 5-7 miles. On days you lift weights, run 2-3 miles, swim 1000M twice a week. Eat well, high in protieins, moderate carbs, low fat. Go to bed by 9pm, get up by 5am. Start rucking with 45lbs., before water, three days a week. Carry some 1/4 inch angle iron or I-beam #5, (that means 5 lbs. per ft.).

Advise you talk with others regarding supplements. As for me, I lifting raw iron, eating farm fresh eggs, I have red meat 3 days a week, fish, bird, elk and deer, the other days, (I'm trying to empty the deep freezer before Nov.). I spend my days fixing fence, braking a young mare, re-roofing the barn, teaching my 9 yr old how to Oxcy-cut (acetylene), and pillaging the garden with (1) pairing knife and a salt shaker.

I'm 46 years old, and if asked, I could max the APFT at the 17-21 age group, I'd even be given additional points for extra push-ups and sit-ups. My run is slower, it's no longer under 13 minutes, but closer to 15:00 for two miles, but under a ruck sack, I'd smoke your legs off.

I've been SF since I could crawl, it only took a SGM some twenty years later to say, "Welcome to the regiment".

Wet Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleucard View Post
Alright, here's what I'm wanting to do. First, get a few pairs of ankle/arm weights, and wear them any time I go out. When I get to where I don't notice them anymore, I add another set. Keep going until I run out of room or I get past the safety threshold (not sure, but my half-ass guess would be around 60 pounds per leg and maybe 30 per arm?). How would you guys (especially the QPs here) rate this as a sort of "passive" endurance/strength training regimen? I think this would help immensely with preparing for rucking (someone at later versions of this could carry one of those like it's a pillow), as well as for any time you might get caught off guard (since you're accustomed to being at least a few dozen pounds heavier, you can move a lot faster than normal, and for longer). Sorry if this was touched on previously, but I haven't been able to find anything about this sort of thing. Also, if you DO think this is a good idea, can you direct me to anything you would recommend for this? Something designed to be easily wearable for extended periods would help a lot.

Last edited by wet dog; 08-24-2010 at 01:16.