Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Bear Pit > PT/ H2H

Old 04-16-2010, 09:01   #16
ZonieDiver
Quiet Professional

Back "in the day," the only supplements we even thought of taking were salt tablets. We took two, and then "drove on"!
Old 04-21-2010, 13:18   #17
CaseyJones
Asset

well I decided now isn't the best time to take the prohormone stack .. it already puts too much of a strain on the body as it is, then add sitting in the turret for 10hrs in 100 degree weather or climbing some ridiculous mountain? It would probably end disasterously for me. Thanks to everyone for their input, it's greatly appreciated
CaseyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 12:08   #18
500 Proof
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surgicalcric View Post
Well said Sir.

CJ:

You need to drop all those test enhancing supplements. Condition/train your mind and body. Working out is for guys whose lives revolve around looks; training is for guys whose lives depend on their fitness level.

You need to be strong, tough, and have good overall endurance/work capacity. We dont care how big you are or what you curl.

Google: Bodybuilding-The Worst Thing That Ever Happened To Athletes -Nathan Cragg
It was a good article, but unless I'm mistaken, it's criticism of 'training to failure' would also apply to many SF physical conditioning methods?

In the past, I have wondered if training to failure conditions your neurology and nervous system to reach failure more quickly.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by 500 Proof; 10-17-2010 at 12:23.
500 Proof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 12:42   #19
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500 Proof View Post
It was a good article, but unless I'm mistaken, it's criticism of 'training to failure' would also apply to many SF physical conditioning methods?

In the past, I have wondered if training to failure conditions your neurology and nervous system to reach failure more quickly.

Any thoughts?
You are mistaken...

What the author is referring to is training a specific lift to failure, ie: preacher curls, close grip bench, tricep extensions, etc. Different training goals, different methods more often than not.

Failure training for us is as much about training the mind as it is the body...

Crip

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 15:25   #20
500 Proof
Asset

Quote:
You are mistaken...

What the author is referring to is training a specific lift to failure, ie: preacher curls, close grip bench, tricep extensions, etc. Different training goals, different methods more often than not.

Failure training for us is as much about training the mind as it is the body...

Crip
I don't think I'm mistaken. Training a specific muscle group to failure, whether it be a small group or a large one, causes sarcoplasmic muscle growth, which the author of the article pointed out, is not something ideal for an athlete.

The author also pointed out that training these muscle groups to failure might result in programming the nervous system to failure. It seems that his theory was relavent to more than just isolated exercises, and that it would hold true to the entire nervous system, whether you're targeting small individual muscle groups or or not.

I'll agree that doing repetitions to failure is an excellent way to 'train the mind', but it might not be the best method for maximizing athletic potential.
Old 10-17-2010, 15:36   #21
500 Proof
Asset

Another interesting subject is the difference between short high intensity exercises and long drawn out endurance training.

Never been a fan of jogging for hours, definitely prefer sprinting. Ever noticed that olympic sprinters seem to be more healthy than marathon runners?
Old 10-17-2010, 18:04   #22
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

Quote:
...The author also pointed out that training these muscle groups to failure might result in programming the nervous system to failure...
You really are missing his point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Author of article
...Knowing now how big a role the nervous system plays in strength, what do you suppose will happen if you always train to failure?
Always is the key work in what Nathan was trying to get across. What he is referring to throughout the article, with respect to failure, is muscle memory and how building this memory over time may cause the muscle to fail at a given level of performance. The easy answer is to keep the training varied enough so your muscles do not become accustomed to stopping at a certain point or being pushed to that point on a routine basis, ie: every 6 weeks, every 12 weeks, etc...

As for the bodybuilding aspects, since that is the topic of the article, there are two different methods of working to failure noted by the author in the article (though there are others): through high reps with low weight or moderate reps with heavy weight.

Bodybuilders use each of these differently. High weight and moderate reps, often lifting til they cant perform another rep (to failure) without assistance, to hypertrophy the muscle and induce growth. And low weight, yet high enough to keep the primary/secondary muscles engaged, with higher reps to make the muscle more defined. Both techniques are used at differing times within their workout schedule to meet their goals.

For most of us in SF/SOF, training to failure doesn't involve the hypertrophy of a muscle or muscle group, as noted in the article, but simply not being able to take another step, lift the sandbag over our head again, sit-up with a our ruck in our lap, etc... And we don't ALWAYS train to failure or train on a routine that always brings us to that point. It is sometimes the outcome, but rarely the destination.

As for running/runners, just like tactical athletes vs bodybuilders they each train with their respective goals in mind. Different strokes for different folks is the appropriate phrase I believe.

Dont confuse looking more muscular as with the sprinter with being in better condition...

Crip

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc

Last edited by Surgicalcric; 10-18-2010 at 05:55.
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 13:57   #23
500 Proof
Asset

Quote:
Always is the key work in what Nathan was trying to get across. What he is referring to throughout the article, with respect to failure, is muscle memory and how building this memory over time may cause the muscle to fail at a given level of performance.
Making it your primary routine is what he seems to be criticizing.

Quote:
As for running/runners, just like tactical athletes vs bodybuilders they each train with their respective goals in mind. Different strokes for different folks is the appropriate phrase I believe.

Dont confuse looking more muscular as with the sprinter with being in better condition...

Crip
Endurance athletes are subject to much higher levels of cortisol and other stress hormones throughout their exercises, which can remain elevated for hours afterward, even days.

The immune system is compromised and the body's general health declines until an adequate period of rest gives it time to recover.

High stress for extended lengths of time is unhealthy.
Old 10-21-2010, 14:59   #24
ZonieDiver
Quiet Professional

Quote:
High stress for extended lengths of time is unhealthy.
So are bullets... but SF troops deal with them regularly!
Old 10-21-2010, 15:08   #25
500 Proof
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonieDiver View Post
So are bullets... but SF troops deal with them regularly!
I addressed his statement that marathon/endurance athletes were just as healthy as sprinters.
Old 10-21-2010, 17:10   #26
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
I addressed his statement that marathon/endurance athletes were just as healthy as sprinters.
Proof:

You are coming across as having a bit of an attitude.

Most of the QPs you are dealing with here are twice your age and are senior SF NCOs/Officers. When I was your age, I was in awe of these people. They are top 1% guys, and are heros. One thing you should quickly deduce from them is that whatever technique they used worked, as they are still here to talk about it. That is practical application versus theoretical, proven on a two-way range.

This is their site, not yours. If that many people are pissing you off, stop posting here.

There will be no further warnings. Enjoy your visit.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 21:10   #27
GratefulCitizen
Area Commander

There is a theme in this and other threads about the intesity/volume of training and whether or not such training is beneficial.
It's not politically correct to say this, but not all people are endowed with equal levels of natural athleticism or health.

People who are naturally more athletic and/or healthy can withstand more severe training regimens than those who are less athletic and/or healthy.
It doesn't necessarily follow that just because someone survived a particular regimen that it was a good one for them or anyone else.

That being said, some severe training regimens may demonstrate whether or not a given individual possesses the natural aptitude for certain professions.

Not everyone gets to be an astronaut.
"Whoever watches the wind will not plant; whoever looks at the clouds will not reap." -Ecclesiastes 11:4 (NIV)
GratefulCitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 06:46   #28
Richard
Quiet Professional

The Joe Alderman* Rule:

We aren't going to the gym in shorts and sneakers to do team PT - we do it year round, outside, in any kind of weather and in the clothing and equipment we're going to be fighting in. It's been my experience that our country doesn't expect us to fight any wars in any gyms.

And so it goes...

Richard's $.02

*Joe - RIP - was one of the finest examples of an SF soldier I ever knew.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B521970.jpg (48.3 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg Joe67.jpg (65.1 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg JASongBe.jpg (78.2 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg B52Recon1970.jpg (65.8 KB, 77 views)
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote