Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > National Guard SF Groups > 19th Group

Old 02-28-2010, 06:42   #1
AustinT
Asset

Looking to go NG W/O prior military service and having SF as an eventual goal

Hello gentlemen I've been on these forums for a little while now and have a few questions that I haven't been able to find the answer to.
My first question is how likely is it for a civilian to be selected with the 19th SF group out of Los Alamitos if he passes the try outs? I understand that civilians with exceptional skills from the civilian sector are welcome to try but I can't figure out what would qualify as an exceptional skill.
My second question is in regards to the 250th MI battalion which has a unit close to where I live and I would consider trying to get onto if I was initially unqualified for the 19th SF group due to having no military background. The unit out of long beach is considered a "tactical exploitation-interrogation" unit. Without violating security protocols would anybody be able to shed some light on what that means?
As for my last question, would having worked in a section of the MI community with the NG make one a valuable asset for the 19th SF group? If not, what would you recommend for a civilian to start with in the NG until he became qualified (E3-E4 if I'm not mistaken)?
Thanks for any info anyone might have,
AustinT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 07:20   #2
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
My first question is how likely is it for a civilian to be selected with the 19th SF group out of Los Alamitos if he passes the try outs? I understand that civilians with exceptional skills from the civilian sector are welcome to try but I can't figure out what would qualify as an exceptional skill.
If you would have read the sticky titled 19th Group POC and locations under the 19th Group forum you would have found the following:

A/5/19th SFG (A) Los Alamitos, Southern Ca, 562-795-2361/2363

POC means Point(s) Of Contact - since your question concerns the Los Alamitos unit, I suggest you call them and arrange some time to discuss your questions with them directly.

However - YMMV - and so it goes...

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 12:29   #3
AustinT
Asset

Yes sir I understand that, I did give them a couple calls but was unable to reach anybody and got forwarded to their answering machine. I'll try them again today, however I made this post in hopes that someone from that group might be on this forum and may be able to provide some information in the meantime. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-28-2010, 12:46   #4
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
I did give them a couple calls but was unable to reach anybody and got forwarded to their answering machine.
Patience.

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 12:50   #5
AustinT
Asset

hahahaha 10-4 Sir.
Old 02-28-2010, 17:05   #6
jatx
Area Commander

MI is located at the Battalion and Group level in SF. Call Birmingham or Draper and talk to a recruiter at Group level, or do the same for whichever of the six BN's is closest to you. There are a lot of opportunities out there. Make a positive impression by researching the various intel MOS's and asking intelligent questions.
"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave whither Thou goest." - Ecclesiastes 9:10

"If simple folk are free from care and fear, simple they will be, and we must be secret to keep them so." - JRRT
jatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 23:33   #7
18C4V
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinT View Post
Yes sir I understand that, I did give them a couple calls but was unable to reach anybody and got forwarded to their answering machine. I'll try them again today, however I made this post in hopes that someone from that group might be on this forum and may be able to provide some information in the meantime. Thanks in advance.
Send me a PM with a good email address and I'll make sure that The NCOIC of the training det gets back to you.
18C4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 05:35   #8
AustinT
Asset

JATX: Thank you for you advice Sir, I've been doing a bit of research on some of the different MOS's that are available in the service in general. 35m Seems to be something which interests me in particular. I'm found out that I have a NG MI unit close to where I live and when I finish my segment at work I'm going to give them a call and see if I can get some more perspective on it and the other MI MOS's.

18C4V: PM has been sent Sir, thank you for your help in the matter.

Austin
Old 08-17-2010, 09:53   #9
Texas18D
Quiet Professional

REP 63 Program

You should look into the Rep 63 program. If you're goal is SF, why use the prior service route. Rep 63 has a very high attrition rate...This means that you are accepting 11B as an MOS, attending ABN school, then going to Ft Bragg to pass a multiphase training pipeline. The benefit to this is that you will enter each phase of training immediately after completing the last phase. The downside is the Rep 63's don't get a break from training and you will have a decrease chance of passing. Mostly the young men who enter the Rep 63 program and subsequently washout lack the maturity to be Special Forces. If you are mature, fit, and suitable then your endeavor will bear fruit.
Texas18D is offline   Reply With Quote