Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Bear Pit > PT/ H2H

Old 01-20-2005, 02:24   #31
Smokin Joe
Area Commander

I'm FREE! or better yet the "Allegation of excessive use of force is Unfounded".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goggles Pizano
Roger that Joe. Same goes up here as well. Are you teaching the Monandock(sp) force continuum? Also are you guys studying the effects (or lack of) of certain strikes against EDP's or suspects on both adrenal/chemically assisted highs? I'm just curious if the training is evolving.

Goggles,

I'm not familiar with the Monandock force continuum (hmm my google skills are weak tonight as well).

Unforutantly my department does not have the ability or resources to do studies. However, I have been hearing alot lately form bigger agencies such as Phoenix P.D. and Maricopa County S.O. refering to and acknowledging the fact that baton and other strikes are completely ineffective on EDP or chemically stimulated people.

The only evolving training we have been doing lately is the implamentation of the Taser(s). Most agencies are becoming Taser dependent however we are working hard to make sure that our people are properly deploying the taser as well as working through the Taser when it fails. We strongly emphasize and train to speed reload Tasers under stress as well as holstering it and transitioning.
"This is the law: The purpose of fighting is to win. There is no possible victory in defense. The sword is more important than the shield and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." - John Steinbeck, "The Law"
Smokin Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 03:37   #32
scoot
SF Candidate

I about got tased the other day. It's kind of a long story, but the officers were very kind and eventually released me and the other perp. First time in handcuffs. Didn't like it and hopefully will never be again. Biggest reason not to fight now: Cops with Tasers! Just thinking about how close I was gives me the willies.
scoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 09:08   #33
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoot
I about got tased the other day. It's kind of a long story, but the officers were very kind and eventually released me and the other perp. First time in handcuffs. Didn't like it and hopefully will never be again. Biggest reason not to fight now: Cops with Tasers! Just thinking about how close I was gives me the willies.
I am surprised that you are that afraid of being Tased. In the old days, you would have been Maced, sapped, slapjacked, beat down with a night stick or a flashlight, or all of the above. Most of those would have required a trip to the hospital, and charges filed against you to protect the officer.

I recently saw several women at a LE trade show volunteering to get zapped with a Taser and most of them didn't even scream. They just collapsed, and were back up and in control of themselves within seconds.

Easiest way to avoid Tasing, if you are that worried, is to comply with the officer's instructions, whether you agree with them or not. I don't see too many people getting lit up who are cooperating and compliant.

Good luck!

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 10:15   #34
Guy
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper
Easiest way to avoid Tasing, if you are that worried, is to comply with the officer's instructions, whether you agree with them or not. I don't see too many people getting lit up who are cooperating and compliant.

Good luck!

TR
Evidently he has never seen that Chris Rock video, some think it was a joke...I think it rings true.

-DE OPPRESSO LIBER-
Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 21:51   #35
stanley_white
Auxiliary

I know one department where Taser is 2d on their force continum to Officer Presence.

"Get on the ground!"

"No!"

Zap!

Old 02-05-2005, 22:56   #36
L51
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley_white
I know one department where Taser is 2d on their force continum to Officer Presence.

"Get on the ground!"

"No!"

Zap!

What state is it in? In many ways, that may be practical way of doing things. I can only speak for CA law, but if the officer has a valid detention, the suspect is bound by law to obey the officer. Once the people in that area understand that they HAVE to obey the officers commands, things go alot smoother. In my department, I have seen officers NOT go hands on or act when they should. They give a command and when the suspect doesn't comply, they ask again, and again until either the suspect finally complies or another officer jumps in and takes control of the situation. The problem lies in that while the suspect is not complying, he (or she) has the time to stand there and think about whether they are going to comply or not and if not, to plan their moves, leaving the officer at risk.

My department no longer has a use of force continuum. We have a policy that explains our Control Devices (baton, OC, etc) but our Use of Force policy basically follows section 835 of the Penal Code and states that an officer "may use reasonable force to affect an arrest, to prevent escape or to overcome resistance. However, the key to any use of force, civilian or LE, is ARTICULATION. No matter the level of force used, you BETTER be able to explain why you use the force you did.

I'll write more later.
L51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 08:00   #37
stanley_white
Auxiliary

Quote:
Originally Posted by L51
What state is it in?
Ohio.
Old 09-16-2006, 23:10   #38
frostfire
Area Commander

correct SOPs?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsPoWGF4qus

RIP officers

are they following the correct SOP here (Puerto Rico)? Would it be too late if the use of force continuum is completely followed in concealed weapon scenario?

They could have frisk the other person too, but what if he was assumed to be a bystander?

Case of flight and not flight, SA and OODA loop failure, initial denial reaction, and/or tunnel vision?
frostfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 00:27   #39
Smokin Joe
Area Commander

The cover officer F**ked up and forgot what a cover officer is supposed to do!
"This is the law: The purpose of fighting is to win. There is no possible victory in defense. The sword is more important than the shield and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." - John Steinbeck, "The Law"
Smokin Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 00:34   #40
kgoerz
Quiet Professional

Force

Remember every Bullet has a Lawyer/Lawsuit attached to it (not my quote). Dead men don't testify. What states don’t have the flight law anymore? For instance my wife two years ago and I in another situation shot at people on our land. Could have shot them dead but had the sense to put them on the ground first. Didn’t want to lose everything in a law suit. Laugh now until it's you in that situation. long story, they were ridding ATV'S all over our land and ruining our horse breeding. Police wouldn’t do anything so some of them got injured running into wire at face level on our land. Anyway. 250lb dude charged my wife over our farm fence and she put a round past his head purposely, she was arrested and initially charged for discharging a firearm at a person. They said she could have run into the house instead of shooting. Lead him into where our kids are right. Anyway all charges were dropped but the first 48 hours the cops made her out to be a murderer. "Your going to jail lady" "you can’t shoot a gun at people" "Say good bye to your kids", "you’re going to jail". It was shameful behavior by the Sheriffs. Not beating on LEO’S. But be careful because that thug will show up in a suit a tie in court if he lives. Just my 02 from Hoke County N.C.