Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Bear Pit > PT/ H2H

Old 01-15-2010, 07:22   #16
Boomer-61
Auxiliary

Why something new and different?

You could make the argument of why do something new and different at all. It is rare that I see something truly new. I was reading one of Pavels books on stretching a while back and noted that much of what was written in it I had read in a book called Stretching Scientifically 18 years ago. I don't think there is one perfect fitness training system. I think some are more dangereous than others or one may be more market driven than another but what makes a system yeild good results is: compliance, progressions, specificity. Any system has a design in mind and a purpose for that design. What is the goal of that system? Is the system designed for increasing strength, mass, coordination, endurance or a little bit of all the above? Careful consideration needs to be given to your goals and the purpose of that system. The progressions have to be realistic. Most systems move too fast in one way or another which does not allow the body time to adapt to the increasing work loads. Time under load in whatever form needs to be carfully and incrementally increased to avoid injury. Once you've decided on a system and understand the goals and progressions of that system, stay within its disign. Sneaking extra sets or overlapping systems with the mind set of "more is better" is not always true. Sometimes more rest is better.
So why look for something new and different? Because we get tired of the same old thing. Sand bags look like they could be fun, they break the confines of the weight room, weight machines and specific movements. I think they were intended to be used for combative arts training because they don't react in a specific or predictable way each time like a barbell or machine does. They mimic the unpredictablity of an opponent. If you have a good fitness/strength base before you take one on I think you're no more likely to get hurt using one than you are while using a barbell. If you are foolish, you can get hurt doing most anything.
Boomer-61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 14:26   #17
the squid
BANNED USER

Sarn't,

Sandbag getsups are a killer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbW3G1x0Gxw

Sandbag clean and squats:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56ISWsrMNEk

Sandbag Half moons:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oK9jX...eature=related

A few that looked interesting to me.
the squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 00:32   #18
Ryanr
Auxiliary

Lacking a sand bag (but wanting to try the lunges and get ups and such), I've taken to using a small child. My son thinks it's hilarious, and the workout is good. :P

Last edited by Ryanr; 01-28-2010 at 00:47.
Ryanr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 14:08   #19
zpo
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanr View Post
Lacking a sand bag (but wanting to try the lunges and get ups and such), I've taken to using a small child. My son thinks it's hilarious, and the workout is good. :P

That should be filmed. But don't, someone will throw a fit.
zpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 19:26   #20
Blitzzz (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Boomer-61 "You could make the argument of why do something new and different at all. It is rare that I see something truly new."
That's because none of this is new. Sandbag swinging is nothing more than the Roman Gladiators did. It's all old with "new" names. Blitz is the only truly New system out there. I stand to be corrected by anyone out there that thinks there is another out there. I know, there is not.
Blitzzz

To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.
Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by Blitzzz (RIP); 01-31-2010 at 19:29.
Blitzzz (RIP) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 20:21   #21
testedone
Auxiliary

Sandbag training would be new to me, but I would call it a work detail

(picture below is from November 1990 making sand bags in Bahrain before the kickoff)

On the subject of new, I see at the gym (Civilian Health club) so many "new" methods that it makes me laugh...people are paying trainers to tell them how to do Iron Mike's, 8 count body builders..etc..etc...

Most of the things out there are considered new ideas but have been around for years they just call it something else... I think I am in the wrong line of work...I could ,make so much money it seems on "smoking" people in the civilian world...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sand bag training.jpg (45.1 KB, 201 views)
testedone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 01:08   #22
Fonzy
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by testedone View Post
I think I am in the wrong line of work...I could ,make so much money it seems on "smoking" people in the civilian world...
http://www.sealteampt.com/

This one is out here in Richmond, Va. They're ALL over the place!
Fonzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 07:29   #23
steel_eel
Auxiliary

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimCalhoun View Post
Here is his sandbag video
http://mtnathlete.com/subpage_detail...189&page_ID=25

I word of caution on the wood pellet filling. I bought some last year and move them around from the bag to a pack, to a bucket, etc. They dry out and get dusty. We have had furnace issues due to dust and I suspect it is related to these pellets.

Another idea is little rocks. Sand can be a real mess inside of a basement.
I am using rubber mulch. It's not dense like sand is, and it won't dry out.

My two pennies. Back to lurking.
steel_eel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 13:15   #24
Boomer-61
Auxiliary

New?

Blitzzz,
How long have you been promoting the Blitzzz method?
Boomer-61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 14:38   #25
Blitzzz (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Ref: New?

I constantly search for anything Really new. You can look up "German Volume Training" or UHR. these talk a game but I can guarantee they can't deliver what Blitz Does. If you find something really new please let me know , and tell why it is new, and not just a revamp.

Additional note: there is a person on this site that is pushing a military press at 105# x 97 reps/min that = 10,185# /min. No other system provides this quantity of unrested work.

To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.
Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by Blitzzz (RIP); 05-07-2010 at 14:45. Reason: added facts
Old 05-07-2010, 17:27   #26
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzzz View Post
...Additional note: there is a person on this site that is pushing a military press at 105# x 97 reps/min that = 10,185# /min. No other system provides this quantity of unrested work.
I see you dogging a disproportionate amount of the stuff people post in here as not being "new." Just because "it" isn't new doesn't mean it is bad or wrong and that your "new" system is right Blitzzz.

A couple questions for you, is the guy you mention above pushing free weight (dumbbell/barbell) or weight attached to a device that limits the range of motion thus stabilizing the weight, like a nautilus or cable machine? If he isn't using free weight for the numbers above has he done so? If he hasn't what do you believe would be the difference? I would be interested in hearing the variation between controlled lifts (machine) versus non-controlled (free.) I know they are going to be very different based on my own experience (squat vs leg press, seated overhead press (machine) vs push-press; bench-press vs chest press)

Having said all that I can see how your program may benefit those with injuries who cannot use free weights but that's about where it ends.

Personally I don't buy the whole idea of the Blitzzz being the all, end all of strength programs and as such you should give the attacks on other methods of training a rest. However if the Blitzzz is the the all end all, why isn't it being utilized by strength coaches nation wide? Why aren't world class strength athletes doing Blitzzz instead of sweating under the relatively uncontrolled ranges of motion provided by barbell training? Have you marketed it yet? If not I would say that if it is as good as you claim you have missed a great opportunity to get the word out about the Holy Grail of workouts, not to mention the money you could be making...

So, let us know when a Blitzzz-er takes the gold in the Olympics, Pan-Am games, or wins the Worlds Strongest Man, or some renowned strength coaches start implementing your program as a replacement for the tried and true and I will give give it another look. Until then I will stick to the barbell and bumper plates, kettlebell/dumbbell, sandbags and pull-up bar.

After all, my team mates wont have cables supporting their weight from moving fore and aft or side to side when I am picking them up off the battlefield...

Crip

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc

Last edited by Surgicalcric; 05-07-2010 at 17:53.
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 18:02   #27
Blitzzz (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Well..There's a lot of room for study

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surgicalcric View Post
Just because "it" isn't new doesn't mean it is bad or wrong and that your "new system" is right Blitzzz.

A couple questions for you, is the guy you mention above pushing free weight (dumbbell/barbell) or weight attached to a device that limits the range of motion thus stabilizing the weight, like a nautilus or cable machine? If he isn't using free weight for the numbers above has he done so? If he hasn't what do you believe would be the difference? I would be interested in hearing the variation between controlled lifts (machine) versus non-controlled (free.) I know they are going to be very different based on my own experience (squat vs leg press, seated overhead press (machine) vs push-press; bench-press vs chest press) I can fine out what he's using. It does work with free weights. I don't think it's the end all but I do know there is no other system that delivers even close. I check all the time.

Having said all that I can see how your program may benefit those with injuries who cannot use free weights but that's about where it ends.It hardly ends with rehab.

Personally I don't buy the whole idea of the Blitzzz being the all, end all of strength programs. If it is, why isn't it being utilized by strength coaches nation wide? Why aren't world class strength athletes doing Blitzzz instead of sweating under the relatively uncontrolled ranges of motion provided by barbell training? I guess I've not really been seen by any of them. They much like you have a very difficult time really trying to understand the systems outcomes.
Fortunately It is being picked up by a local university for better documentation.

Let us know when a Blitzzz-er takes the gold in the Olymics, Pan-Am games, or wins the Worlds Strongest Man, or a renowned strength coach starts implementing your program and I will give give it another look. Until then I will stick to the tried and true barbell, kettlebell/dumbbell, and sandbags. After all, my team mates wont have cables supporting their weight from moving fore and aft when I am picking them up off the battlefield...As to this, How many P90Xers have either. I did get to train a x pitcher for the Atlanta Braves who ruined his shoulder and came to me for Blitzing inorder to go to try outs again after 13 years of not pitching. He ended up being 2mph slower than they were looking for,( I'm not a pitching coach) but he was able to pitch over 300 balls without fatigue or pain. His brother who was a pro pitcher also instructed him on a different style of pitching and I suspect that difference may have caused him not to make it, because his timed balls were much better than when he changed styles. Who knew?
I really am not into arguing the Blitz with those who can not honestly place a disclaimer on it. Not having tried it and experienced it.

I respect your input here and believe it benefits the troops, but you're only able to speculate on it's true value.
Crip
Respectively Dave

Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by Blitzzz (RIP); 05-07-2010 at 18:05.
Old 05-07-2010, 18:25   #28
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzzz View Post
...I respect your input here and believe it benefits the troops, but you're only able to speculate on it's true value...

Respectively Dave
I am generally not one to just jump on anything "new" especially when it comes to my workouts that I will be honest about.

That said it may help if you quantify some of the things you say. Those of us who have been lifting for a while (more than 5 years continuously) know how much our lifts vary based on whether it is true weight (free) or whose stability is controlled -relatively- by a set of cables and/or rods/bushings. I and many like me here and elsewhere dont care that a guy can lift 105 X times in a minute; I want to know what his max lift is with free weight.

You want to win us over, have some of the guys who are your prime students measure their strength with a barbell (deadlift, bench press, front/back squat, squat clean, etc) for 1 or 3 RM? Or do 80 lb sandbag get ups for 10 minutes (a great test of core muscle strength...) Again, quantify it for us...

Crip

ETA: Great work on the pitcher BTW. Rehabilitating shoulder injuries is tough, I know. As I said earlier, I have no doubt as to the validity of your program for rehab of injuries or for a program for those seeking generalized fitness, but I just dont believe it to be relevant for battlefield fitness/strength.

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc

Last edited by Surgicalcric; 05-07-2010 at 18:29.
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 20:24   #29
Blitzzz (RIP)
Quiet Professional

I have a question.

"Those of us who have been lifting for a while (more than 5 years continuously) know how much our lifts vary based on whether it is true weight (free) or whose stability is controlled -relatively- by a set of cables and/or rods/bushings. "

Interesting, How much have you gained in 5 years of lifting from the start until now?

Thomas Jefferson
Old 05-07-2010, 21:01   #30
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

This thread is about sandbags, not lifting free weights. There are other threads for that.

steel eel,
Where are you getting your rubber mulch?

Me and The Kid are using playground sand in a Rogue Fitness bag. It's great.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote