Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Bear Pit > PT/ H2H

Old 11-30-2004, 08:45   #46
sandytroop
Quiet Professional

Intelli - bells?

I got a set of Power Blocks and they are great tools. very compact, lots of weight, and not that much more than k-bells. I also just started doing the work outs on www.crossfit.com and what a band of mutants those people are. It amazes me how smoked out you can get just pushing your body weight around!
Old 11-30-2004, 14:28   #47
jatx
Area Commander

Kettlestack

Kettlestacks are adjustable Kettlebells that use normal 5-10 lbs. plates. I've been using these for about a month, and some of you might like them. Especially if you are space constrained, don't have the ability to transport multiple sets with you, or if you're training with buddies that prefer different weights. I purchased them so that I wouldn't need to buy new sets as I get stronger.

Here's the link: http://www.kettlestack.com/level.itml/icOid/4
"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave whither Thou goest." - Ecclesiastes 9:10

"If simple folk are free from care and fear, simple they will be, and we must be secret to keep them so." - JRRT
jatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 14:43   #48
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatx
Kettlestacks are adjustable Kettlebells that use normal 5-10 lbs. plates. I've been using these for about a month, and some of you might like them. Especially if you are space constrained, don't have the ability to transport multiple sets with you, or if you're training with buddies that prefer different weights. I purchased them so that I wouldn't need to buy new sets as I get stronger.

Here's the link: http://www.kettlestack.com/level.itml/icOid/4
Looks like da bomb!

See NDD, I told you some of these guys had potential.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 21:19   #49
cmedwin
Asset

kettlestack price change

fyi,
$65 & up (depending on the options).
Thanks,
Clay
cmedwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 16:04   #50
ghostinashell
Auxiliary

I've been using combat conditioning for a couple of months and I feel much stronger then I was with weight training. It is a pretty incredible program of body weight cals. I recently started using a couple of products from a company called lifeline, one is called power pushup 2 and the other is called the chest expander. Basically they are rubber tubing with handles but they offer a good deal of resistance and I can feel my stabilizer muscles, especially my shoulders, becoming stronger after only using them for a couple of weeks. they have been a good addition to the body weight exercises.
As war becomes dishonored and its nobility called into question those honorable men who recognize the sanctity of blood will become excluded from the dance, which is the warrior's right, and thereby will the dance become a false dance and the dancers false dancers.
- Cormac McCarthy
ghostinashell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 07:52   #51
REMFlt
Auxiliary

here's a review of the kettlestacks from some knowledgeable people http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do...itan?id=472066 (I apologize for the long html)
another viable option that is cheaper than kettlebells are the loadable ones made by detroit barbell. I can't vouch for these because I haven't used them. Also an interesting site for fitness is www.milfitmag.com, its run by nathanael morrison, and a few other people involved in military and LE training.

Cast or Tab
REMFlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 07:55   #52
booker
Guerrilla

If you don't want to dish out the cash for a kettlebell, maybe take a look at this, it is a homemade version http://milfit.com/homemadekb.htm

You can get most of the materials at the local hardware shop.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:48   #53
jatx
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by booker
If you don't want to dish out the cash for a kettlebell, maybe take a look at this, it is a homemade version http://milfit.com/homemadekb.htm

You can get most of the materials at the local hardware shop.
The correct link is:

http://milfit.com/homemadekb.html
"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave whither Thou goest." - Ecclesiastes 9:10

"If simple folk are free from care and fear, simple they will be, and we must be secret to keep them so." - JRRT
jatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 10:27   #54
Wannakuba
Asset

Combat Conditioning

I've been using this for many months now. I use the "Royal Court" as a great warm-up with some side-straddle-hops before doing push-ups, sit-ups, etc., etc. I've especially noticed the increased strength in carrying my ruck from doing the back-bridges.
Wannakuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 10:47   #55
Charlie765
Quiet Professional

I have Furey's book and most of Pavel's, and have learned a lot from all.

"Combat Conditioning" is a lot like SCUBA Team PT was when I was on a team, with some wrestling conditioning drills thrown in. It's basically high-rep calisthenics designed for endurance. The bridging exercises have been especially helpful for my back and neck pain. Just be careful when you first start doing them. Some believe them to be potentially harmful, but I haven't had any problems.

Pavel's "Naked Warrior" has an entirely different focus. It's primarily about building strength with bodyweight exercises and focuses exclusively on two; one arm pushups and one leg squats. Most of us have done one arm pushups at some point but have you ever tried it with one arm and one leg? It's interesting, so say the least. There's a strong balance component involved. I haven't managed one yet, but I'm working on it.

I have Pavel's "Power to the People" which is about pure strength building using two exercises; the deadlift and the side press. The principles and techniques taught can be used for any lifts but these are the one's the author likes for this routine.

I also have his "Russian Kettlebell Challenge" which is about strength and endurance using kettlebells. Can't speak to the effectiveness of K-bells since I've never even touched one, but the exercises work just as good with dumbbells. I've made a lot of progress with some of the exercises in this book.

I haven't seen it but I've heard very good reviews on a book put out by Ross Enaimit. He's a boxing coach. You can get more info from www.rossboxing.com.
Charlie765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 21:43   #56
krader
Asset

Ross Enamait

For what little my opinion is worth, I bought Ross's Ultimate Training for the Ultimate Warrior book a few months back and have loved it. It contains a ton of different workout ideas with a bunch of very intense sample workouts. This guy knows how to bring suffering to those who take it on. This book is his sandbag lifting book, but also has alot of bodyweight PT, sledgehammer swinging and sled dragging work just to make life interesting. He is a boxing coach so there are some workouts that have that flavor, but I think his workouts would be good no matter what your goal. He also has running advice and running workouts in his book. Overall after having Pavel's PTP and Kettlebell book, having read the naked warrior, and owning Furey's book, I would say this book makes all the others obsolete. Lifting a sandbag is tough work, and they are cheap to make which is nice. The other book I hear great things about is Underground Guide to Warrior Fitness, all bodyweight PT in this one from what I hear, but I have never heard a negative word spoken about it. Here are some links for you all.

Sandbag Construction
http://www.warriorforce.com/sandbagconstructionkit.pdf

workout footage
http://www.warriorforce.com/rossboxingvideoclip.wmv
http://www.warriorforce.com/workcapacity101.wmv

krader
krader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 21:54   #57
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

I made a sandbag out of an old duffle bag and some smaller bags inside. I've started using it a little. and I like it. That Ross guy has some good workouts on his site and it's mostly free.

BTW, your opinion is worth as much as anybody elses on here as long as you aren't talking out your ass.

Thanks for the links.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 22:37   #58
skipjack
Auxiliary

This is a great thread! I'm going to have to check out some of these books and websites over the next couple of days. But, I have to agree with sandytroop, Crossfit is awesome. I started doing it last week at Rainier CrossFit, up here outside Ft. Lewis, and I already feel like I'm making improvements. It's great!

-skipjack
skipjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 21:14   #59
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

http://www.crossfit.com/cf-video/onearmpull.mpg
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 21:40   #60
Tubbs
Guerrilla

I have been doing Furey's Combat conditioning for about four months now. When I read this post about a month ago I went out and bought Peterson's book "Pushing yourself to power". I feel that it is better than Furey's book, but if you use Petersons book, along with Furey's Royal Court and his Combat Abs book you will get an incredible workout. I have managed to recover from a serious back injury by doing these exercises.