Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Bear Pit > PT/ H2H

Old 07-07-2004, 12:21   #31
larfive
Auxiliary

Great way to maintain ones endurance and strength

NDD,
Roger. I am doing exercises with body weight alone. I used to be your typical muscle bound ripped from hell type of guy living in the gym and taking supplements to keep my size and wanna be good looks.

That all came to a screamig halt on the day I went to RIP and I didnt have the endurance to keep up on daily events. If it didnt involved running or any aerobic exercise I was fine. But once we ran it was a very painful effort to keep up.

After a serious wake up call by the evil christian himself Jeff Struecker, I decided that ENDURANCE is the only way to be the best in this line of work.

Here is a sample of my daily workout:

Mon-Fri Rope climb, 5mile swim 30miles a week
Tue-Thur 20-35mile bike ride, 500 Pushups,200 Abs, 50pull-ups
Wed and Fri 5(xcountry) and 8(road) mile road march
Mon,Wed,Fri M3,W5,F7 mile runs
Sat rest
Sun Very light work outs

Keep in mind it took some time to come to this level. Little baby steps is what Ive learned to get to where I am now. Im now 165, 10% body fat, and I have strength AND ENDURANCE. I feel a hell of alot better than I did at 180 muscle bound.

My strength comes from climbing the rope with a 18pound weight belt(pre-scuba sadistic training...thank you V Allen)
and concentrated pull-ups nice and slow. Pushups are done with perfect form for time not repettion. Someone once asked me how many pushups and situps can I do in 2min, my answer was I never knew because I always did them for time.

Running trails also has its advantages with BDUs. You are carrying about 8-10lbs in addition to your own body weight which makes you work that much harder. Ive seen the difference when I run chicken road, or plank in just my black nylons. Hauling ass because Im so use to running in BDUs.

Overall, since I have given up the gym I have found exercising with my body weight alone has increased my strength, endurance, and most importanly my overall health.
LarV
Old 07-07-2004, 14:57   #32
Razor
Quiet Professional

LarV, do you run in your boots, or in running shoes?
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 06:33   #33
larfive
Auxiliary

Roger

Razor,
I do both. For my short distance runs I will do them in modified jungle boots. I dont recommend running long distances in boots because of the way the feet is positioned in the boot. When going cross country in boots the terrain is ever changing leaving your feet to only be in one position the entire time. This will result in injury. That is why when I run in boots its at a slow pace8-9min mile and short.

What I would recommend if you want to run in boots stay on the sand it possible like "Pineland" and if you could get some Rockies 911 those are what I have and they work great. I have all the advantages of both worlds boots and tennis shoes, and lest likely of an injury to my ankles knees, and lower back. If you want to wear boots go for the jungles with ripple soles. Just realized that your a BTDT, you already know more about the boot than I do, hell come to think of it, you have more time in boots, than I have in service

Just Kidding Razor, but you do know more about the boots than I do.

LarV
Old 07-08-2004, 09:52   #34
Razor
Quiet Professional

Don't count on it; you'd be surprised at how much I still have to learn about a whole list of things.

I was asking about the running in boots thing because I see lots of older guys at the VA hospital with pretty severe knee and back problems, which the docs attribute to lots of running in boots with no real insole. Sounds like you have a thought-out system in place already.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 20:52   #35
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

This was a damn good thread huh? I'm thinking about getting me some of dem kettle bells made locally. Shipping would make buying them in the US cost prohibitive.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 22:09   #36
mffjm8509
Quiet Professional

Kettle Balls

Let us know how much they end up running you if you do have them made.

Youre right, the shipping alone will bankrupt you.

I've done several of the exercises using dumbells, but its not quite the same thing.

mp

MDP

"May God be with you and may the devil be crushed underfoot as you march for peace on the skulls of our enemies, for goodwill, security and a quality of life that comes only with democracy, " - Ted Nugent
mffjm8509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 22:38   #37
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Website

More workouts
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 09-27-2004, 10:47   #38
vampire03
Asset

www.workingclassfitness.com

This site has some pretty interesting workouts using B.W. and sandbags.
vampire03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 23:15   #39
TRUST
Asset

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by NousDefionsDoc
This was a damn good thread huh?
This has been an excellent thread! I have Peterson's book on order. THANKS to all who contributed.

TRUST
TRUST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 19:05   #40
JaY
Asset

After reading this thread I also bought Peterson's book. I'm impressed with it, a very good book overall and the exercises are challenging, it definitely helped spice up my boring pt routine.
JaY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 11:37   #41
LEStudent
Asset

Furey's approach looks interesting; it definitely seems like something I'd like to try. I'm the typical big guy; lots of power, not a lot of endurance. Have any of you tried Furey's weight loss program? If so, did it work as quickly and as well as he claims?
LEStudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 00:07   #42
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

I've been doing Peterson's warm up, Furey's squats, PUs and bridging, Petersons abs and Pavels chins and dips. Sounds like a lot, but its really not. I do them in sets and am building both reps and sets slowly (hey! I'm old). Doing them like circuit training (except for the warm up). Takes about 45 minutes without any running/rucking. Didn't have to buy any equipment. I use the swing set in the playground for the chins. I'll say this already, since I started the bridging, my back feels a lot better.

I've been reading Naked Warrior again - I was wrong about it. Those pistols will kick your ass. I'm doing them on a box until I can do them right, but damn!

I'm dying to try those kettlebells. And I want the ab thing from Pavel as well. I tried to do a Janda situp - hard, very hard. Even without any weight.

These guys really seem to be on the right track to me.

I also saw this that looked interesting:

Combat Yoga

I don't know about you guys, but if I had it all to do over again, I would work a lot more on flexibility.

LEStudent - if you think you've got a lot of power, try Naked Warrior and let us know how it goes. LOL Even with a bad back, I can bench 215 for reps - but those one armed PUs are a bear.

I haven't tried Furey's weight loss, but you do enough of any of these guy's stuff and watch your intake a little, I think you'll lose just fine.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 11-01-2004, 22:46   #43
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Found another one.

http://www.warriorforce.com/warriorfitness.html
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 11-02-2004, 18:30   #44
stanley_white
Auxiliary

Quote:
Originally Posted by NousDefionsDoc
I've been reading Naked Warrior again - I was wrong about it. Those pistols will kick your ass. I'm doing them on a box until I can do them right, but damn!

I'm dying to try those kettlebells. And I want the ab thing from Pavel as well. I tried to do a Janda situp - hard, very hard. Even without any weight.
I have a copy of "The Naked Warrior" and a Kettlebell with the DVD and book. I REALLY enjoy the Kettlebell. I was turned on to it by a friend of mine in the Secret Service and he wasn't lying about the quality and intensity of the workout you get.

My weekly workouts consist of a combination of push-ups / pull-ups / dips / Kettlebells for my upper body. This system of fitness has been working quite well for me.
Old 11-02-2004, 20:17   #45
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

For AD, I think the KBs would be a great thing for deployments. I used to get sick of lugging Big Heads weights and benches and all that shit around. Not sick enough not to do it, but it was a pain. The KBs look perfect for these situations.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?