Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Bear Pit > PT/ H2H

Old 06-18-2004, 16:50   #16
BMT (RIP)
Quiet Professional

PT - Bodyweight Only Training

I have read all the replys and I am totally smoked!!!

BMT
Jr. FOG
Old 06-18-2004, 16:52   #17
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by The Reaper
A very heavy one.

TR
Roger that. I prefer the World Book Encyclopedia or Ambush Master's Big Book of Warning Shots to the Temple Volumes 1-5.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 03:32   #18
Solid
Guerrilla Chief

Classic.

But seriously...
Solid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 07:10   #19
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Never had a book, other than the AR.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 06-19-2004, 12:43   #20
hoepoe
Guerrilla

Good day Gents

Tarining with only bodyweight, i'm all for it, fittest i've ever been.

I've read conflicting reports about Matt Fureys book. (Never read the book)

Have a great weekend,and for those of you that fit the category, happy fathers day.

Hoepoe
hoepoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 16:27   #21
mffjm8509
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by Solid

What's the best book for Calesthenics in your opinion, NDD?

Have a good evening,

Solid
I've only got Fureys book right now........according to NDD Pavels is more of the same.

I'd just pick one and stick with it, like anything else, a book cant get you in shape, or motivate you to get outside and train......thats on you.

For the longest time when we didnt have a place to lift weights, we did 10 sets of 25 pushups, 10x25 situps, and 10x 5-10 pull ups.....and that did the trick in a fix.

mp

MDP

"May God be with you and may the devil be crushed underfoot as you march for peace on the skulls of our enemies, for goodwill, security and a quality of life that comes only with democracy, " - Ted Nugent
mffjm8509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 18:03   #22
Solid
Guerrilla Chief

For some reason I was never into weight training with the exception of the ones that fit in the back of the ruck. I'm reaching the point now where to exhaust my muscles normal press-ups and sit-ups are running at very high reps, so I was looking for new non-weight training which could give me some new moves to work with.

And then Bam! NDD started this thread.

Luck.

Solid

(obligatory: )
Solid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 19:54   #23
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Quote:
I've read conflicting reports about Matt Fureys book. (Never read the book)
Its not at all a bad book. Peterson just has better pictures is all. Very important for the 18Bs on the Team.

Of the three, I like Pavel the least.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 07-03-2004, 17:21   #24
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

None of them really advocate running - although Furey says to run 100 meter sprints up hills and walk back down. And Peterson recommends walks at speed. Any opinions?
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 07-03-2004, 23:39   #25
hoepoe
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally posted by NousDefionsDoc
None of them really advocate running - although Furey says to run 100 meter sprints up hills and walk back down. And Peterson recommends walks at speed. Any opinions?
Good morning, Happy 4th of July!

I am a firm believer that the condition of ones health/fitness internally far outweighs the external appearence
Run, always run, or another form of CV is more important, health and fitness wise than the muscle/strength building.

Running will slow down and limit the building of muscle mass but is an inseparable part of fitness training.

Remember, the heart is probably the single most important muscle we have (ok, second in importance lol)

Training with calesthetics/own weight etc. has limitations anyway so huge Lee Haney type physiques you're not going to get anyway, in other words, the benefits of runing far outweigh the disadvantages.

Personally, i used to love endurance runs, slow and long, alternating days with shorter and faster, always preceeding a calesthetics type workout. The calesthetics workout is also good for fitness, i superset everything, resting after superset only, ie:
1 set Pushups/1 set pullups,1 minute rest etc.

I am not in any way qualified in fitness relates fields, just been training a few years.

Hoepoe
Old 07-04-2004, 00:09   #26
Brother Rat
Auxiliary

Here are a few articles that I've found helpful:

http://www.dragondoor.com/cgi-bin/ar...topic=Workouts

Happy 4th, all.
Brother Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 08:24   #27
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Yeah, that's a good site BR.

Hoe, they do CV in the form of Hindu squats - high volume. Beat your boots with a rowing movement added in.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 07-04-2004, 09:01   #28
hoepoe
Guerrilla

Thanks for claifying NDD, still ain't running though. Guess i'm "old fashioned"

Hoepoe
Old 07-04-2004, 09:07   #29
mffjm8509
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by NousDefionsDoc
This doesnt seem like a good workout on paper but once you try it you'll be a beliver.

We use a variation of this developed by the a steeplechase coach at the USOTC here in colorado springs. Extend the distance to 200 meters and do a minimum of 8 sprints totalling a mile. We do a couple of warmup jogs up the hill first to get loose, then do our 8 sprints. The pace is about 70% of what you would normally "sprint" and what the coach told me was to run at a pace that is quick, but if someone behind you reached out to grab you, you could stll accellerate away from them.

Finish this up with some cals out of the Furey book.

mp

MDP

"May God be with you and may the devil be crushed underfoot as you march for peace on the skulls of our enemies, for goodwill, security and a quality of life that comes only with democracy, " - Ted Nugent
mffjm8509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 09:11   #30
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by hoepoe
Thanks for claifying NDD, still ain't running though. Guess i'm "old fashioned"

Hoepoe
LOL - wait 'till you're just "old".
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?