Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > National Guard SF Groups > 19th Group

Old 10-28-2008, 04:23   #1
Ak68w
Asset

Volunteering to deploy w/ NG SF units???

Hi gents,
Quick question the search function didn't quite answer for me: I switched to the National Guard from the Reserves a few months back and am very interested in volunteering to deploy with one of the NG SF units. I know and fully understand that I wouldn't be kicking in doors, but I read in a recent article in GX Magazine that 19th and 20th SFG's have normal, standard-issue 68W medics assigned to them, not just the crazy 18D medics on steroids.
My section Sergeant (himself a prior AF PJ) advised me to go to the NGB website, but for the life of me, I can't find anything that would help me get on board with the NG SF guys (though I am pretty technologically retarded). Any advise from any QPs or anyone at all with any experience in this?
If it means anything, I'm Air Assault qualified, going to BAC within the next few months, graduated AIT in the top of my class, and can score 300+ on the APFT with a hangover and a sprained knee. If any more info is needed, feel free to PM me and I will answer any questions to the best of my knowledge.
Many thanks in advance. Any advise, positive or negative, is greatly appreciated.
It's simply being too lazy to give a damn what the weaker side of you thinks!" - A Drill Sergeant of mine.
Ak68w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 04:48   #2
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
1st: I would suggest you drop the:

Quote:
the crazy 18D medics on steroids.
Statements like that will not make friends in this crowd..

2nd: I suggest you contact the 19th POC,, let the search function be your friend.. Try "A Co. 1/19th SFG(A)"

3rd: Good luck,, but I think you have one foot out of your lane and are about to crash..

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 06:24   #3
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

AK:

You will not find any info on GKO about NGSF units deploying or any shortage lists they may have. As JJ stated, your best bet is to call Group HQ to find out who is in the shoot next then call them.

Honestly, you would be better off finding a NG Infantry BN who is deploying to A-stan and strap hanging with them. I know a couple 68W's who have worked with NGSF this way but have never heard of them taking them into country.

Best of luck.

Crip

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 12:51   #4
Oldschool45B
Auxiliary

While I am not in the 19th right now, I have very deep family ties to them. If you want to go, you need to go directly to Grp HQ TODAY and see if you can get in contact with the right people. You can reach the GRP thru the proper ch. Use the military channels to do so, the GRP has a POC.

Second, as stated the "crazy 18D medics on steroids" may be very true. I know an 18D that cut a little Afgani girls little finger off to re-locate it to where her thumb used to be to give her an opposable digit. By the end of the depoyment she had nearly full use of it. For a guy who teaches high school science full time, that is some crazy and amazing stuff. But you are a complete unknown to them. In short you have not earned the position to refer to them that way. So IF you get the honor to go down range with them, having been the new guy myself, I HIGHLY recommend that you go in with an immense amount of humility and dont making comments like that. Even in jest as a back handed compliment.

But do call the GRP, they are busy in many areas.
Old 10-28-2008, 16:04   #5
TOMAHAWK9521
Quiet Professional

As a TM SGT in B/5/19 I can tell you that the only medics on a NG ODA in 5/19 are 18D's with all the current qualifications. As for 68W's, if we have any assigned, they would be found in the BSC. When deployed, I have never heard of any medic MOS other than 18D on any of 19SFGA's ODAs. The other medics were with the B-Team back on one of the bases in theater. It is possible that the West Virginia boys and the "Utah Chapter" do things differently, but I doubt it. Of course, a 68W could get more action than desired while on convoy duty going out to resupply one of the out-lying ODAs.

If you want to get on a guard SF team going to war, the first thing you must do, for any SF assignment, is pass the Q. Just being a PT stud doesn't qualify you for SF, be it AD or NG. The next thing you must do, if you pass the course and get assigned to a team, is keep your mouth closed and learn all you can before you decide to opine to the rest of the team. The last thing you must do is pray that foolish statements like "18D's on steroids" and other rash comments become lost amidst your more (hopefully) positive accomplishments.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:47   #6
Ak68w
Asset

Wow; many thanks to all of you for your quick and highly informative replies!
I'll give them a call sometime this week!

Now, as best as I understand it, my chain of command has to sign off on it, right (assuming that I get the green light from the SF unit)? Can they refuse to sign off and kill it right then and there, or are they basically signing off that they know I'm leaving? Reason I ask is the whole AK NG just restructured itself, and I'm one of only three combat medics assigned to my new Cav Scout unit (HHT, 1-297th CAV). They might be reluctant to let me go.

As for the comment---my appologies, I meant it as a compliment. No offense or jest meant whatsoever. I have only the highest admiration and respect for the 18D's. They're the men we 68Ws reference when we talk about the kind of medics we want to be for our guys.
It's simply being too lazy to give a damn what the weaker side of you thinks!" - A Drill Sergeant of mine.
Ak68w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 09:36   #7
koz
Quiet Professional

I wouldn't believe everything you read in magazines - GX. There might be a non-18D type attached to HSC or BSC but there are all sorts of clerks, supply, intel, etc... types that are in HSC/BSC. Granted it's part of SF and they're a good asset (most of the time) but it's far from a team. If SF was allowing non-18 series on teams, then why not have a 11B, 31C, etc on a team?

I wouldn't tout Air Assault, as you'll probably see lots of eye-rolls , if not a few laughs. There are guys who were honor grad of AIT, Ranger school, and can ace a PT test that didn't make it through Selection or the Q-course. SFAS/SFQC last far longer than a 2mi run.

Confidence is a good thing, cockiness isn't. There's a fine line between the two.

Good luck with your request.
koz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 20:35   #8
Swank
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by koz View Post
I wouldn't believe everything you read in magazines - GX. There might be a non-18D type attached to HSC or BSC but there are all sorts of clerks, supply, intel, etc... types that are in HSC/BSC. Granted it's part of SF and they're a good asset (most of the time) but it's far from a team. If SF was allowing non-18 series on teams, then why not have a 11B, 31C, etc on a team?

I wouldn't tout Air Assault, as you'll probably see lots of eye-rolls , if not a few laughs. There are guys who were honor grad of AIT, Ranger school, and can ace a PT test that didn't make it through Selection or the Q-course. SFAS/SFQC last far longer than a 2mi...
LOL! I read that article and flinched when I read the "Air Assault" quote. Having been misquoted by friendly PAO before, I wondered if this was inserted by a well meaning writer.

As for 68W's, I'm one of those "crazy 18D's on steroids" and in A/1/19. There are zero non-crazy leg medics here. No need for 'em. You'd have to try the support company in Utah. Even there, I don't know. Vet techs and preventive med, yes.
Swank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 22:19   #9
Guy
Quiet Professional

Lightbulb Civil Affairs...

Stay safe.

-DE OPPRESSO LIBER-
Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 16:15   #10
D9 (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Or, if you want an "SF" experience.....

You could skip the deployment, drop a selection packet, and see if you're the man they're looking for. You're not going to get an "SF" experience from a med shed at the FOB, or wherever else they'd put a 68W.

Good luck.
Old 11-12-2008, 22:40   #11
Oldschool45B
Auxiliary

IIRC, there is another option if you want to get a bit closer to the edge and get a deployment with SOCCOM under your belt before trying selection. Go to the 197th STC in the UTANG. They are the only unit in the Guard, or in SF support for that matter that will have the Tier 2 medical capability and have all of their medics SOCM qualified. That in itself will be a real test of what kind of soldier and person you are. Most people fail out of that course alone. But the 197th are augementees for ARSOF and may end up down range at the firebase to aid the 18D's. They may also end up on SFLE Teams. When we deployed we had a Major, CW4 (both 18 series), a Ranger who was a medic and another Ranger who worked all of Herrat. That may be another option if they still have them, and you make the cut. The BRG CDR thinks that is where most of our SOCM medics will end up, or being the bitch at a firebase for the Delta's.