Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Bear Pit > PT/ H2H

Old 03-25-2010, 22:30   #16
Calvengeance
Asset

Seems like a killer marathon.

Last edited by Calvengeance; 06-07-2011 at 14:36.
Calvengeance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 12:25   #17
ShamrockSix
Asset

Mountain Man Memorial March

Congrats on the completion. For those of you on the East Coast, there is a similar event called the Mountain Man Memorial March. It is held in Gatlinburg, Tennessee and based on Bataan - basically the same rules, distance, categories, etcetera. Mountain Man is held in honor of a Benning classmate of mine who was killed in Iraq in 2007 while serving with the 25th ID. He was a UT grad, so the UT Army ROTC sponsors this march.

Maybe not as brutal, climate and terrain-wise, as Bataan, but a good hike nonetheless.

www.mountainmanmemorialmarch.com

http://visitsouth.com/articles/artic...gatlinburg-tn/
ShamrockSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 14:48   #18
HMass18Z
Quiet Professional

Congrats to all that have attended and completed the Bataan Memorial Death March in beautiful White Sands, NM.

I completed it with a team of guys from my small group back in '04 when I was attending Charm School at Ft Bliss. My son also completed the march two or three times with his ROTC buddies. So, we can both share the stories about the Sand Pit around mile 19 or so ..... BUT as all can attest, the highlight of the march is meeting the survivors, the true American Heroes. Meeting and talking to those guys is an honor.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:44   #19
BML104
Asset

Foot wear suggestion.

I'm planning on participating in the "half" distance (Knees are shot.) in 2012. Any suggestions on a specific make/model of boot for a wide (EEE) foot?

TIA

Ben
BML104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 22:41   #20
Sulfek
Asset

First Hand Account

First hand account from a survivor of this nightmare, my grandfather SFC Clarence G. Zealor.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan0002.jpg (117.7 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg scan0003.jpg (108.9 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg scan0004.jpg (117.3 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg scan0005.jpg (109.3 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg scan0006.jpg (112.1 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg scan0007.jpg (81.0 KB, 32 views)
Sulfek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 22:45   #21
Sulfek
Asset

The last pages and a picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan0008.jpg (58.7 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg scan0001.jpg (49.4 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg 104964b.jpg (25.3 KB, 52 views)
Old 01-13-2013, 20:39   #22
mark46th
Quiet Professional

A friend of my mother's was a Death March Survivor. Although approached many times for his experience by researchers, historians and authors, he would never discuss it...
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 21:48   #23
Sulfek
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark46th View Post
A friend of my mother's was a Death March Survivor. Although approached many times for his experience by researchers, historians and authors, he would never discuss it...
My Grandfather ended up dying after his release once he returned to the states, I believe from the treatment received in the camps. I never met him and my mom said he never spoke of it either, she found the journal in some of his things after the funeral. I wish I could have the chance to sit and talk with him about this if he was alive and also willing to share.
Old 01-13-2013, 22:51   #24
mark46th
Quiet Professional

The average U.S. soldier was in no way prepared for the brutality the Japanese inflicted on prisoners. It was so horrifying, the survivor's guilt for those who made it through the war in captivity was practically unbearable.
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 18:26   #25
Gypsy
Area Commander

It was an honor to read your grandfather's account, Sulfek. Thank you for posting it.
Old 01-14-2013, 20:47   #26
PRB
Quiet Professional

Congrats on an excellent physical challenge...but dammit, I hate celebrating one of our biggest defeats and surrender of arms with an event.
There are numerous 'unsurrendered Americans' that worked organizing the Guerrilla effort. Now that would be worth celebrating...not a damned surrender trek.
PRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 21:07   #27
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRB View Post
...celebrating...
I disagree. It's not a 'celebration' - it's a 'memorial' event similar to Memorial Day or Pearl Harbor Day or the 9-11 rememberances.

Never forget...and drive on.

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:05   #28
PRB
Quiet Professional

Ok, I hate memorializing our biggest defeat and surrender of arms...when many 'unsurrenderd' individuals took to the hills and organized Guerrila forces...let's memorialize that with a march.
PRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:31   #29
MR2
Quiet Professional

I do believe that those who were on Corrigador were pretty much trapped, ordered to surrender, and had nowhere to go.

Regardless, Bataan is the reason for the old saying "A thousand days in evasion beats just one day on your knees".

It's Never Crowded Along the Extra Mile - Wayne Dyer

WOKE = Willfully Overlooking Known Evil
MR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 15:24   #30
Stargazer
Guerrilla

Sulfek, thank you for sharing your grandfather's journal.

After reading about the Bataan March, my view of General MacArthur was forever changed.
"Sometimes the things that may or may not be true are the things a man needs to believe in the most. That people are basically good; that honor, courage, and virtue mean everything; that power and money, money and power mean nothing; that good always triumphs over evil; and I want you to remember this, that love... true love never dies. Doesn't matter if it's true or not.. a man should believe in those things, because those are the things worth believing in."~ Hub

Last edited by Stargazer; 01-17-2013 at 15:33.
Stargazer is offline   Reply With Quote