Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Bear Pit > PT/ H2H

Old 04-05-2008, 01:04   #1
Blakeslee
Asset

Bataan Memorial Death March

I just recently participated in the Bataan Memorial Death March (for the second time). For those who might not know what it is, it's a 26.2 mile ruck march, held at White Sands Missile Range, that honors those who were part of the original Bataan March during WWII. The terrain varied between pavement and loose sand.

Anyhow, I placed this thread in the PT forum to share my experience, lessons learned, and my training plan - also open to any additional advice for the future.

I completed the first 12 miles at 2.5 hours. I got pretty excited and became over confident. That pace quickly slowed down when the next 7-8 miles were at a steady incline. To make matters worse, I failed to stop in a timely manner to tend to my feet. Don't get me wrong, I stopped 3 times along the way to take a short rest, change my socks and dress my hot spots. I just should have stopped around mile 18 to have the medics (stationed along the course), who were better qualified, to dress my feet.

At mile 20, it felt like something stabbed my toe. When I went to pull off the mole skin, the skin came off with it. I did my best to patch things up and finally made it to the last medical station at mile 22. I was there for an hour and a half. They were training the younger medics and each situation was a teaching case. I didn't fuss about losing the time simply because time was only a personal goal and I just wanted to finish the final 4 miles; which I did, but it was the most painful 4 miles of rucking I've ever endured.

I trained consistently for 4 months. I started slow and steady with the mileage and pace. I rucked 3 times a week up to 8-12 miles each time. I never went over 12 miles and I never went over the 35lbs required. With the water and additional socks and shirts, the total weight was at 45lbs. My average training days looked like this:

Mon: 6 mile ruck - weight training - 15 min cardio splits (run/stairs/swim)
Tues: weight training - long run
Wed: 8 mile ruck - swim
Thurs: REST
Fri: 10 - 12 mile ruck only
Sat: weight train only
Sun: REST

Some of the weeks I took 2 days to recover from the longer rucks. I maintained a 15 min/mile pace and I never ran with my ruck on during the training.

Lessons learned: no matter how prepared my body and mind were for this event, my feet (toe) caused me to come in slow. The first time I did this event, I completed it in 6 hours 48 minutes. Last Sunday, minus the time lost at the medic station, I added an hour to my first time. Granted, at 26.2 miles, the time isn't as important as finishing the race while doing your best not to hurt yourself. It only took me 3 days to recover, but to know that a simple toe can cause me to become not as effective as I able to be.

Anyhow, thanks for your time and allowing me to share my experience. Should I be fortunate enough to attend SFAS down the road, I'll train as efficiently and as smart as I can with regards to both PT and rucking.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blakeslee_bataan08.jpg (25.3 KB, 446 views)

Last edited by Blakeslee; 04-05-2008 at 01:10.
Blakeslee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 07:51   #2
rudelsg2
Quiet Professional

Congratulations on completing the course. I was on point 5 (mile 11) as a course safety. I saw some really bad techniques of foot care out there. Everything from cotton socks, 100 mph tape for pre-treating hot spots, popping blisters before the hump was even half way finished and marchers wearing worn out JUMP BOOTS on the course.

It really made you humble (and your heart swell with pride) to see the Wounded Warriors out there pushing themselves. I would point them out to the young health military males who wanted to quit the course when the only thing they were suffering from was small heart syndrome.

It is amazing how many fat, out of shape people think they can just show up, knock out a 26 miler in the desert and not have it hurt the body.

Last edited by rudelsg2; 04-05-2008 at 08:04.
rudelsg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 10:23   #3
Blakeslee
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudelsg2 View Post
Congratulations on completing the course. I was on point 5 (mile 11) as a course safety. I saw some really bad techniques of foot care out there. Everything from cotton socks, 100 mph tape for pre-treating hot spots, popping blisters before the hump was even half way finished and marchers wearing worn out JUMP BOOTS on the course.

It really made you humble (and your heart swell with pride) to see the Wounded Warriors out there pushing themselves. I would point them out to the young health military males who wanted to quit the course when the only thing they were suffering from was small heart syndrome.

It is amazing how many fat, out of shape people think they can just show up, knock out a 26 miler in the desert and not have it hurt the body.
Thank you.

I'll be honest, I did wear my jump boots. It's what I trained in and what felt most comfortable on my feet. Lessoned learned and I won't make that mistake again. Thankfully, my feet didn't suffer as much as they could have.

When I was at the medic station, I saw this wounded warrior come in about 45 minutes into my stay. He sat down on a cot and asked to have the blisters on his foot treated quickly - so he could finish. He smiled, got treated and took off. You can't buy that level of inspiration...truly an honor to march along side the wounded warriors.

Old 04-05-2008, 11:10   #4
JMI
BANNED USER

Amazing accomplishment, Blakeslee! I am humbled.
JMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 11:54   #5
jbour13
Area Commander

Good job and good to hear the Wounded Warriors carrying on.

I wish to someday participate, we will see how well the deployments let some of us try it out.

"Let the blood of the infantry flow through your veins,or the blood of the infantry will be on your hands."
- GEN John A. Wickham, Jr. speaking on the responsibilities of MI soldiers.
jbour13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 12:40   #6
jsragman
Asset

Blakeslee,

How'd you feel about that Sand Pit around Mile 19? They weren't joking around with that thing.

I was out there with my ROTC team and it was quite a change of scenery from the flat & cold that is Illinois in the winter. And I definitely second the lessons learned on taking care of your feet.

-Derek
jsragman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 13:55   #7
FXCOfire
Asset

thanks for the training plan. It will be in my training plan file.
I participated last year and was disappointed to not make it this year. An experience in so many ways... The sand pit was tough but just the thought of what the Bataan vets endured or seeing the Wounded Warriors was a reminder that somone has had it tougher. The motivation it provides over the year for PT is hard to describe.

Next year I hope to be back.
FXCOfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 16:23   #8
Gypsy
Area Commander

Congrats to you, Blakeslee...and to all who participated.

Never Forget.
Old 04-05-2008, 16:24   #9
Blakeslee
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsragman View Post
Blakeslee,

How'd you feel about that Sand Pit around Mile 19? They weren't joking around with that thing.

I was out there with my ROTC team and it was quite a change of scenery from the flat & cold that is Illinois in the winter. And I definitely second the lessons learned on taking care of your feet.

-Derek
Derek,

That sand pit is where everyone starts to get "bitchy." You know, where you start to get mad. I would here people saying, "this is bulls**t!"

When I got there, I tried to run on the far edges as much as I could and for the most part, I found myself saying, "just one foot in front of the next, don't quit."

Old 05-20-2008, 13:50   #10
TOMAHAWK9521
Quiet Professional

Good job, Blakeslee.

My father has asked if I am ever going to do that event seeing as how his father was one of the survivors from the fall of Bataan. Granted, my grandfather lucked out (if you can call it that) and was jammed into one of the last vehicles before the Japanese began the remaining POWs on their horrific ordeal.

My problem is that 21+ years of jumping and doing road marches throughout my career in the RGR/SF thing has jacked my knees. Right now I'm not sure I could do that event even if I wanted to. Still, I probably should take a shot at it for the family someday.
Old 05-20-2008, 15:32   #11
AngryPistols
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudelsg2 View Post
...It is amazing how many fat, out of shape people think they can just show up, knock out a 26 miler in the desert and not have it hurt the body.
Ahem, finisher #662 here.

Call me old school, but, the funniest thing I saw was the Air Force 'couple' holding hands, in uniform, for just about the entire march. We were in front of them just about the entire way.

I'll prolly do it again next year, hopefully with a better time.

Angry
AngryPistols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 15:58   #12
Red Flag 1
Area Commander

Congats to Blakslee , Angry and all who marched.

When I was @ Vandenberg, I had a patient who survived the march. He was put on a Jap transport that was sunk by one of our subs. He was rescued, put on another Jap transport that was also sunk. Picked up by US warship. Crewed on that destroyer until the wars' end. Quite a guy, and quite a story.

RF 1
Red Flag 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 21:31   #13
cbo1187
Asset

Your story sounds pretty familiar, Blakeslee. I was on a team with jsragman, and I think our feet experienced the same waves of pain as yours. Great job on that time, though, you really smoked the course.

Your time was much faster than we completed it, and in our AAR, we identified our lack of cardiovascular training as a weak point in our PT plan. We were definitely not ready for the difference in elevation and the crazy inclines...or the sand pit. I was hating life during that little stretch. That sand was intense...felt like I was walking but not going anywhere. I'll be back out there next year with a new crew, so we're going to have to re-tool our training plan a bit. Still a great experience though.

As far as the wounded warriors go, seeing them on the trail was one of the most inspirational things I've witnessed. My hat's off to all that competed. I couldn't help but feel like an ant in their presence at the finish line.
"In the practical art of war, the best thing of all is to take the enemy's country whole and intact; to shatter and destroy it is not a good idea. So, too, it is better to recapture an army than to destroy it."

-Sun Tzu, The Art of War
cbo1187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 21:50   #14
Blakeslee
Asset

Thanks man!

If I'm not in Ranger school or preparing to go...I'll see you there next year.

I'll run a lot more during my training and won't care about "a" time. I'm just going to do it to honor those soldiers and use the event as an excuse to insanely train.
Old 02-07-2010, 23:21   #15
Machete
Asset

Wow. It's nice to find out about an event like this. My late great-grandmother was from Bataan, and I believe she took part in the original Death March during the occupation.

Lots of respect to everyone who participated.
Machete is offline   Reply With Quote