Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Bear Pit > PT/ H2H

Old 03-17-2012, 13:02   #91
Kyobanim

Quote:
After all these years I still believe one should be strong in the basic kicks,punches,blocks,locks and throws.No flashy stuff like jump kicks,kata,aikido throws(seagal).
If you think katas are flashy stuff then you need to study harder. Katas are basic training for all levels. They are supposed to integrate everything you have learned to that point and teach you balance, breathing, etc. Anotherwords, the basics.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

"Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing."
Optimus Prime
Kyobanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 13:09   #92
grigori
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyobanim View Post
If you think katas are flashy stuff then you need to study harder. Katas are basic training for all levels. They are supposed to integrate everything you have learned to that point and teach you balance, breathing, etc. Anotherwords, the basics.
I respect your philosophy towards Kata's Sir,maybe someday I will appreciate them too.There was a time when I'd think it is good to be strong in jump kicks and all cause they look good it was a after getting my teeth knocked trying to use it in sparring that I realized the roundhouse kicks and other simple to use moves are best.Hopefully like that someday I hope I understand the importance Kata has.

Thank You.
grigori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 13:12   #93
Wiseman
Guerrilla Chief

When you say jump kicks are flashy.. do you mean like jumping back kick because I used that many times successfully in competition. Like all techniques, they have their place and need to be used at the right time.
Wiseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 13:15   #94
grigori
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiseman View Post
When you say jump kicks are flashy.. do you mean like jumping back kick because I used that many times successfully in competition. Like all techniques, they have their place and need to be used at the right time.
No I meant the jumping side kick,360 degree kick,kicks mainly used in demo's -all those jumping kicks which the movies made so famous.

I do agree that some jumping kicks like the one's you mentioned are good and have their correct time and place of application.
Old 03-17-2012, 13:16   #95
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Quote:
He may be talking about The Flying Wolverine Kata. It takes 40 years to master, though...
Old 03-17-2012, 13:40   #96
grigori
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
He may be talking about The Flying Wolverine Kata. It takes 40 years to master, though...
But then it wouldn't be a Kata sir as it involves flying and that would make it Chinese.More than 40 years of Chinese Martial Arts cinema makes all other martial arts styles question themselves "Damn!!Can we ever fly like that??"
Old 03-17-2012, 14:02   #97
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by grigori View Post
But then it wouldn't be a Kata sir as it involves flying and that would make it Chinese.More than 40 years of Chinese Martial Arts cinema makes all other martial arts styles question themselves "Damn!!Can we ever fly like that??"
No, the Chinese form is a bit more involved, and is called "Drunken, Flying Wolverine".
Old 03-17-2012, 14:48   #98
ZonieDiver
Quiet Professional

Quote:
No, the Chinese form is a bit more involved, and is called "Drunken, Flying Wolverine".
And you must master that before you can even have a hope of mastering the "Spetnaz Shovel Kata"!
Old 03-17-2012, 18:23   #99
Sarski

Quote:
Agreed, sir. If one is still on kata or one/ two/ three or four step sparring after 3-4 months, then one should train harder or move on to the next martial art...and the next and so on.
Old 03-17-2012, 19:31   #100
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarski View Post
Agreed, sir. If one is still on kata or one/ two/ three or four step sparring after 3-4 months, then one should train harder or move on to the next martial art...and the next and so on.
Rex Kwon Do has a good six week program for only 300 bucks.
Old 03-17-2012, 21:16   #101
olhamada
Guerrilla

"There are few problems on earth that cannot be solved by a swift roundhouse kick to the face. In fact there are none." - Chuck Norris
"And dying in your beds many years from now, would you be willing to trade all the days from this day to that for one chance, just one chance to come back here and tell our enemies that they may take our lives, but they'll never take our freedom?"- Braveheart

de Oppresso Liber
olhamada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 00:01   #102
Sarski

Quote:
Rex Kwon Do has a good six week program for only 300 bucks.
$300? That is a bargain. I took the online accelerated 4 week black belt sifu masters course for $625, but it included suplemental DVD learning course of material not covered in the intro course, oh and free sparring pads, complete with chest protector...the same kind they use in the olympics! Oh, and I also recieved for $500 more a one on one lesson with the Grand Master, but I have to fly to Hong Kong to redeem it.

Last edited by Sarski; 03-18-2012 at 00:03.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:55   #103
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarski View Post
$300? That is a bargain. I took the online accelerated 4 week black belt sifu masters course for $625, but it included suplemental DVD learning course of material not covered in the intro course, oh and free sparring pads, complete with chest protector...the same kind they use in the olympics! Oh, and I also recieved for $500 more a one on one lesson with the Grand Master, but I have to fly to Hong Kong to redeem it.
Post pics of the pebble...
Old 03-18-2012, 08:13   #104
Sarski

Quote:
Post pics of the pebble...
The pebbles...that is part of the online instructors course. That is $1000. I havn't done that one yet. I'm still working on walking across the rice paper leaving no trace.
Old 03-18-2012, 08:29   #105
Sohei
Area Commander

I can sell you reinforced rice paper...that way you will be guaranteed to pass. ;
Sohei is offline   Reply With Quote