Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Bear Pit > PT/ H2H

Old 02-25-2009, 11:13   #76
Eagle5US
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom1984 View Post
I hold Black belts in what my instructor called Ninjutsu (don't really know if he was telling the truth or not)
Ummmm...probably not a real good indication of your training, or teacher, if you can't trust what your "instructor" gave you a ranking in.

I'm just sayin...

Eagle

Ain't no one getting out of this world alive. All you can do is try to have some choice in the way you go. Prepare yourself (and your affairs), and when your number is up, die on your feet fighting rather than on your knees. And make the SOBs pay dearly."
The Reaper-3 Sep 04
Eagle5US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 08:01   #77
Blitzzz (RIP)
Quiet Professional

...with the new Army...

Curious to see if with the new "unlimited recruiting" will there now be "Bitch slapping", "Hair pulling" and "Face scratching" included in Military H2H.

To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.
Thomas Jefferson
Blitzzz (RIP) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 05:12   #78
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadsword2004 View Post
So I wasn't sure if it warranted starting a new thread or not, but I was wondering, is there such a thing as actual "knife fighting?" Like as in two guys, each armed with a knife and nothing else, go at it and battle each other?

http://www.nononsenseselfdefense.com/knifelies.html
Going back in time to the use of sharp rocks. Probably as many "systems" exist as do sharp rocks.

IMO, you should just learn where to cut and cut first.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:37   #79
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
So I wasn't sure if it warranted starting a new thread or not, but I was wondering, is there such a thing as actual "knife fighting?" Like as in two guys, each armed with a knife and nothing else, go at it and battle each other?
Not if there is a loaded gun around.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 10:05   #80
ZonieDiver
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
Not if there is a loaded gun around.

TR
Or a baseball bat or big f#%king stick!

At Camp Mackall, our instructor ("Hand-to-Hand" Martin) used to insist that God invented sticks and rocks for just that purpose - to avoid "hand-to-hand" combat!

My step-father, who didn't teach me much - save for some pool, golf, and what beers NOT to drink - did tell me that "a knife is just something someone will take away from you and hurt you with." (Of course, he was in the Navy, so...)
Old 02-06-2011, 10:10   #81
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonieDiver View Post
Or a baseball bat or big f#%king stick!

At Camp Mackall, our instructor ("Hand-to-Hand" Martin) used to insist that God invented sticks and rocks for just that purpose - to avoid "hand-to-hand" combat!

My step-father, who didn't teach me much - save for some pool, golf, and what beers NOT to drink - did tell me that "a knife is just something someone will take away from you and hurt you with."
Especially in Apache Territory. And underwater.
Old 02-06-2011, 15:13   #82
Leozinho
Quiet Professional

Quote:

Edit: Here is an interesting article I found, seems such systems do exist, but they are very dangerous: http://www.nononsenseselfdefense.com/knifelies.html
Filipino Martial Arts do a lot of blade on blade training. You can search youtube for Pekiti, Sayoc, Atienza Kali, Dog Brothers for a look at guys going knife on knife. (Oh wait, I didn't see your edit. FWIW, these are the guys that the article you linked to argues against.)

Point taken about having a loaded gun. I carry, and I used to figure, as I think most do, that I'd be fine against an unarmed person. However, Southnarc and his crew have shown that just having a weapon isn't enough. In his force-on-force drills (called 'evos'), the bad guys take the gun away frequently.

Watch what happens 3 seconds into this video. http://www.vimeo.com/1072283

Last edited by Leozinho; 02-06-2011 at 15:17.
Leozinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 16:24   #83
sentra
Asset

Would one have the chance to test and be ranked(level 1-4) in "Army Combatives" before getting out of 11b AIT? I have been heavily involved in studying, teaching, and competing in martial arts for over 16 years. I currently help train up-and-coming MMA wanna-be UFC guys who are about 18-25. I can not wait for the H2H parts of basic and AIT and the opportunity to become certified in army combatives and maybe even compete in some army tournaments. I'll be 27 by time I'm out of OSUT and it's fun teaching the "young" guys a thing or two.
sentra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 07:52   #84
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentra View Post
Would one have the chance to test and be ranked(level 1-4) in "Army Combatives" before getting out of 11b AIT? I have been heavily involved in studying, teaching, and competing in martial arts for over 16 years. I currently help train up-and-coming MMA wanna-be UFC guys who are about 18-25. I can not wait for the H2H parts of basic and AIT and the opportunity to become certified in army combatives and maybe even compete in some army tournaments. I'll be 27 by time I'm out of OSUT and it's fun teaching the "young" guys a thing or two.
Might be "fun" learning a thing or two, as well.
Old 03-17-2012, 12:20   #85
grigori
Guerrilla

Started learning Kyokushin Karate when I was 12 just earned my Shodan(1st dan Black) in December under the IKO1 system.

I know a former QP from the 10th group through a forum who is now running his own school,very nice guy.
grigori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 12:23   #86
grigori
Guerrilla

Started learning Kyokushin Karate when I was 12 t earned my Shodan(1st dan Black) in December under the IKO1 system.

I know a former QP from the 10th group through a forum who is now running his own school,very nice guy.

After all these years I still believe one should be strong in the basic kicks,punches,blocks,locks and throws.No flashy stuff like jump kicks,kata,aikido throws(seagal).
Old 03-17-2012, 12:38   #87
olhamada
Guerrilla

Growing up, I was always the youngest kid in my peer group - usually 2 years younger - and thus usually the smallest - until I caught up in college. I was in at least a fight a week from 2nd grade till 8th, when I started taking martial arts. Spent a lot of time in the Principal's office but usually wasn't the one getting the licks.

I'm not sure what happened, maybe it was the way I carried myself or the look in my eyes that changed, but I haven't been in a fight since.

1st dan Black - Tae Kwon Do (Ku Ki Kwan), and Browns in Judo and Hapkido.
"And dying in your beds many years from now, would you be willing to trade all the days from this day to that for one chance, just one chance to come back here and tell our enemies that they may take our lives, but they'll never take our freedom?"- Braveheart

de Oppresso Liber
olhamada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 12:40   #88
grigori
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by olhamada View Post
Growing up, I was always the youngest kid in my peer group - usually 2 years younger - and thus usually the smallest - until I caught up in college. I was in at least a fight a week from 2nd grade till 8th, when I started taking martial arts. Spent a lot of time in the Principal's office but usually wasn't the one getting the licks.

I'm not sure what happened, maybe it was the way I carried myself or the look in my eyes that changed, but I haven't been in a fight since.

1st dan Black - Tae Kwon Do (Ku Ki Kwan), and Browns in Judo and Hapkido.
Did you go to South Korea for the test?
Old 03-17-2012, 12:45   #89
olhamada
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by grigori View Post
Did you go to South Korea for the test?
No, I was living in NY at the time and tested there. My sensei was S Korean and had been a Silver medalist in Judo in the Olympics - at least that's what he told us. Neat guy. But could really kick your ass if he got irritated.
"And dying in your beds many years from now, would you be willing to trade all the days from this day to that for one chance, just one chance to come back here and tell our enemies that they may take our lives, but they'll never take our freedom?"- Braveheart

de Oppresso Liber
olhamada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 12:47   #90
grigori
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by olhamada View Post
No, I was living in NY at the time and tested there. My sensei was S Korean and had been a Silver medalist in Judo in the Olympics - at least that's what he told us. Neat guy. But could really kick your ass if he got irritated.
That is very nice,the US I must say has some of the best teachers in possibly all the martial arts styles.