-- Family Coat-of-Arms Maxim

"Mārohirohi! Kia Kaha!"
"Be strong! Drive-on!"
-- Māori saying
Scimitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 18:40   #17
kachingchingpow
Guerrilla

ITBS sux. At one time running was something that I truely enjoyed. One of those sports that kinda found me, I didn't find it. I get plenty of cardio in other ways now, but I do miss running for miles on end.

I blame it on sitting at a friggin desk all day. There's a very specific stretch that helps, but it never has made much of a difference for me.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:37   #18
grumpz
SF Candidate

You should always do a nice warm up before you go running. If you don't your chance of injury increases greatly.

You should always stretch before and after as well. Always. You should even stretch everyday if you have the time. Back in high school I had a running coach who was 42 years old, but could still jump 26 feet. That is good enough for the olympic team. He said the reason he could jump so far at his age is because he had stretched everyday since he was 19.

Usually when you run long distances, run heel to toe. Running on the balls of your feet puts more pressure on your knees and is harder on them. Usually you should only run on the balls of your feet when you are sprinting. Unless your running a marathon, run heel to toe.

You should always run on the softest surfaces possible. This can help lessen the impact to your knees and will prevent injuries and wear and tear to your joints and ligaments.

If you get tendonitis, take flax seed oil. That helped me clear up the tendonitis quickly when I got it. For joints and ligaments, take glucosamine chondroitin. That helps repair them and make them strong.

I have had several top running coaches and have ran at TOSH. So I'm not just talking out of my ass

Last edited by grumpz; 01-02-2008 at 11:59.
grumpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 11:42   #19
grumpz
SF Candidate

double post, apologies
grumpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 11:44   #20
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpz View Post
you should always do a nice warm up before you go running. if you dont your chance if injury increases greatly.

you should always stretch before and after as well. always. you should even stretch everyday if you have the time. back in high school i had a running coach who was 42 years old, but could still jump 26 feet. that is good enough for the olympic team. he said the reason he could jump so far still is because he has stretched everyday since he was 19.

usually when you run long distances, run heel to toe. running on the balls of your feet puts more pressure on your knees and is harder on them. usually you should only run on the balls of your feet when you are sprinting. unless your running a marathon, run heel to toe.

of course run on softer surfaces as well. that can help lessen the impact and will prevent injuries and wear and tear to your joints and ligaments.

if you get tendonitis, take flax seed oil. that helped me clear up the tendonitis quickly when i got it. for joints and ligaments, take glucosamine chondroitin. that helps repair them and make them strong.

i have had several top running coaches and have ran at TOSH. so im not talking out of my ass
Shift key broken, or just don't care?

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 16:44   #21
Mr. Wizard
Asset

POSE Method running is all the rage in the CrossFit community for distance running. There is numerous articles on the internet for reference.

http://www.sportsinjurybulletin.com/...technique.html

I have been practicing this method and it is incredibly hard to maintain the correct form when you are so used to heel-toe strike method. I have found that it is incredibly useful for maintaining a specific pace for longer distances though and has helped incredibly on my posture in general.

If you really want to learn more about it I would recommend just checking out www.CrossFit.com and lurk around on the forums. The monthly newsletters have an incredible amount of information in them as well, CF has completely changed my outlook and overall level of fitness.
Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud, and the rifle is the queen of personal weapons. The possession of a good rifle, as well as the skill to use it well, truly makes a man the monarch of all he surveys. - Jeff Cooper

R.I.P. - Moises A. Langhorst, 2nd Battalion, 4th Marines, 1st Marine Division
Mr. Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 20:54   #22
hoot72
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard View Post
POSE Method running is all the rage in the CrossFit community for distance running. There is numerous articles on the internet for reference.

http://www.sportsinjurybulletin.com/...technique.html

I have been practicing this method and it is incredibly hard to maintain the correct form when you are so used to heel-toe strike method. I have found that it is incredibly useful for maintaining a specific pace for longer distances though and has helped incredibly on my posture in general.

If you really want to learn more about it I would recommend just checking out www.CrossFit.com and lurk around on the forums. The monthly newsletters have an incredible amount of information in them as well, CF has completely changed my outlook and overall level of fitness.

This sounds interesting. I think its worth giving it a go in comparison though I wonder how easy or difficult it is really to change one's mindset at my age to a new system of running.....
hoot72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 00:13   #23
Ryval
Asset

I really appriciate everyone's info here. I'm currantly coming off of a 9 month battle with runner's knee, in both knees so this was very interesting to read and, I might add, right on track with what my pediatrist has told me to do.

Just to add a little, there are exercises to strengthen the knees. For instance, ballancing on an inflatable disk (don't know how else to describe it) one leg at a time, for about 20 to 30 secs a leg. Slow, one legged hip sled (light weight) focusing on you knee NOT going side to side. Taking a resistance band, putting it around your ankles and doing slow, deliberate side steps. Those are some of the exercises that have helped.

Also, stretching your kneecaps helps too. Pushing them up, down, left and right. Each direction for a 20ish sec count. It feels kinda weird (to me at least) but you get used to it.

Take it for what it's worth. Thanks for the great thread.

"The will to win compares nothing with the will to prepare to win."
Ryval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 01:21   #24
sleepyhead4
Quiet Professional

what about midfoot running method?

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpz View Post
You should always do a nice warm up before you go running. If you don't your chance of injury increases greatly.

You should always stretch before and after as well. Always. You should even stretch everyday if you have the time. Back in high school I had a running coach who was 42 years old, but could still jump 26 feet. That is good enough for the olympic team. He said the reason he could jump so far at his age is because he had stretched everyday since he was 19.

Usually when you run long distances, run heel to toe. Running on the balls of your feet puts more pressure on your knees and is harder on them. Usually you should only run on the balls of your feet when you are sprinting. Unless your running a marathon, run heel to toe.

You should always run on the softest surfaces possible. This can help lessen the impact to your knees and will prevent injuries and wear and tear to your joints and ligaments.

If you get tendonitis, take flax seed oil. That helped me clear up the tendonitis quickly when I got it. For joints and ligaments, take glucosamine chondroitin. That helps repair them and make them strong.

I have had several top running coaches and have ran at TOSH. So I'm not just talking out of my ass
Recent research and experiences of athletes show that heel to toe running method is not only inefficient but bad on the knees. Also, running on your toes is difficult and can tire your calves out before the other muscles in your legs. Even POSE method isn't the end-all-be-all method. With that said, mid-foot running method seems to be the lesser of two evils. Which ever method you choose, proper fitness (overall body fitness) will help prevent most injuries. (I know, kind of an obvious statement).

"Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun" Bruce Campbell a.k.a Ash
sleepyhead4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 15:31   #25
sofmed
Guerrilla

Running Long Time

Hi, Gents.

This is a great thread. Thought I'd add my 2 cent's worth here.

I've been running for nearly 27 years now. Have performed on Jr. Triath's and Marathons, as well as numerous 10K's, etc. My average run during a typical week is between 4 and 7 miles at a 7:30 to 7:00 pace once I've moved beyond the initial "warmup" mile to mile & 1/2.

All that being said, I've also undergone 2 arthroscopic reconstructive hip surgeries, so when it comes to rehab-ing and pushing to get back into running shape I have some experience on my side. Try not being allowed to run for nearly two years (cumulative)! It sucks.

And if you want a good laugh, ask Surgicalcric about my running. See what he says about trying to keep up with my long-legged self.

I've been running heel/toe long distance for so long, and I've tried the other methods and they just didn't take. I can say that I've had a minor change in my footfall/breathing pattern from one breath in every three strides/one breath out the next three strides, to one breath every two strides, etc, but that was after the surgeries. And the longer I run, the faster I get, as well as my stride growing longer. That's where SC's problem comes in...short, little legs. LOL

Proper fit of running shoe and the proper running shoe, period, are key to the longevity of running, espcially long distance. Athelete's Foot in Fayetteville ran a program for our 18x's that gave them a bigger discount and a full foot eval on the computer via the step pad method. Solved a lot of guys' problems just getting them into the proper shoe. Kept them from inundating me at sick call with foot, knee, back and ITBS issues.

I do appreciate all of the information shared here. I guess everyone has their trends that they keep to, as I have mine, and being an 'old dog' it is difficult to 'learn new tricks' to some degree. I look forward to more shared intel on the running game. Hope some of this is helpful. Thanks.

Mick

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

Last edited by sofmed; 02-06-2008 at 15:35.
sofmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 18:49   #26
hunteran
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyhead4 View Post
Recent research and experiences of athletes show that heel to toe running method is not only inefficient but bad on the knees. Also, running on your toes is difficult and can tire your calves out before the other muscles in your legs. Even POSE method isn't the end-all-be-all method. With that said, mid-foot running method seems to be the lesser of two evils. Which ever method you choose, proper fitness (overall body fitness) will help prevent most injuries. (I know, kind of an obvious statement).
Midfoot/forefoot is the way to go. After a couple of months of intense running you should sorta find your perfect "groove". Out of all the people on my cross country team, the only guy who goes heel-to-toe is a freshman, everyone else is a mid-fore-foot striker.
hunteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 19:49   #27
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofmed View Post
And if you want a good laugh, ask Surgicalcric about my running. See what he says about trying to keep up with my long-legged self...

...That's where SC's problem comes in...short, little legs...
Short yes, little hardly...

I am not the one here who looks like they are riding a chicken when they are wearing shorts.

Besides, running breeds cowardice.

Crip

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 21:47   #28
sofmed
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surgicalcric View Post
Short yes, little hardly...

I am not the one here who looks like they are riding a chicken when they are wearing shorts.

Besides, running breeds cowardice.

Crip
Can I help it that an ectomorphic metabolism keeps me thin, and running miles upon miles just for the sheer fun of it?

Love ya, Brother. And I'm running TO the battle, not from it. By the time you get there we'll have a difac, PX and massage parlor set up and open for business.

Stay well!

See you when you're back.

Mick

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton
sofmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 21:52   #29
Marvin Blank
Quiet Professional

Ohhh!!! Ohhh!!! I know, I know!!!

Training for a marathon, but doing it full bore right after two months of Surgery and Leave (and because you were lazy, no running)!!! 25 miles a week, with old shoes, because you didn't want to spend the money QUITE yet to get new ones!!! Getting a weird pain in your leg, and ignoring it, because you are a hard (dumb) ass!!!!! Finding out the Myrtle Beach marathon is a week away, and even though you have the leg pain and have only trained for a month and a half (and never runone before), deciding to run it!!! Running through the pain because "PUSSIES QUIT!!!" Finding out a week later you have a grade two stress fracture and have to spend a month in purgatory as a broke dick, waiting a class instead of going to Sage next Sunday!!!! Going two and a half years with two sick call visits (Poison Ivy in the field), and NOW, at the END, hurting yourself because you are a cocky barrel chested freedom fighter wannabe.
......Or at least, I would ASSUME that's a running no-no....not that I know, or anything (Hand slapping forehead)
"If any pale student glued to his desk here seek an apology for a way of life whose natural fruit is that pallid and emasculate scholarship, of which New England has had too many examples, it will be far better that this sketch had not been written. For the student there is, in its season, no better place than the saddle, and no better companion than the rifle or the oar." - Francis Parkman
Marvin Blank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 15:08   #30
stuW
Auxiliary

ITBS

Does anyone have a suggestion for good resources for ITBS?

I have read everything I can find online about it and am not really satisfied.

I am somewhat bow-legged, and I have rehabilitated the knee. It feels good now - 9 months later - and I don't get pain when I run, squat, etc. I do crossfit and have not had pain, though I do still get a small click/pop if I put my hand and apply some pressure on the IT-band concurrent with bending the knee about 25 degrees - no pain, but I don't get the click on the other leg. The click has reduced since strengthening and reduction in pain.

I roll the band, stretch the band, and have previously ice-cupped the knee when it was painful. I'm getting ready to begin running seriously on it (more than a mile per day) and I want to make sure I'm covering all my bases. I'm about to go out and buy a new running shoe. Any suggestions for me and other unfortunate sufferers of ITBS?

Thanks,

Stuart

"You can’t learn to swim by exercising on the beach."
Ronald Cohen
stuW is offline   Reply With Quote