Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Bear Pit > PT/ H2H

Old 05-16-2006, 14:22   #31
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Econ
Doc:

Never implied they shouldn't do PT. Only said that how the Army focuses them is mostly wrong.

It takes resources. The resources are time and equipment to become something that a Chain of Command has envisioned. It can be done given a clear vision of an end-state in terms of overall physical fitness.

I work with Stryker Brigades. 'Unconventional', Conventional Units. They have a serious PT program but it isn't always done smartly. Time is wasted smoking guys on exercises that have absolutely no meaning in terms of their doctrine or combat orientation.

I believe in developing a soldier physically to execute his mission. Some need more cardio training and some need more anerobic strength training. Stryker soldiers need to be more of the 'Worlds Strongest Man' than 'Jim Fixx', but they can't totally deny either. The Stryker can carry them to and from a contact and yes, 99 percent of the Strykers do survive some absolutely horrible circumstances.

We can differ in opinions -- no sweat from me. Please offer your best views. It can make a bigger difference than you can imagine.

Gene
Ah so, I misunderstood. Roger Gene, we are on the same page.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 17:26   #32
kgoerz
Quiet Professional

PT

1st SGT Lipton, The real one who was portrayed in Band of Brothers. He came out to our Range to watch a Demo just a month before he passed away. We asked him what was the one thing a Soldier could do to prepare for Combat. He said be in the best physical condition possible. "Combat is the most physically demanding ordeal you will ever go thru". About gearing your PT towards the mission I totally agree. Barry Sanders was visiting us one time. He obviously was in good shape for Football. So we kitted him up and made him run thru our Urban Movement exercise at MOUT City with Simunitions. He was smoked after moving one block and was amazed at the weight we carried just with the vest, no Rucks involved.
This is off subject. When 1st SGT Lipton passed away a couple of guys from the Team went to his funeral in Class A Uniform. He lived close to FT Bragg in N.C. There was no one else there representing The Army or 101st Airborne. Thought that was pretty sorry. Unless the Family requested no one show. The Army definitely knew about it because his passing and Memorial Service time and location was in all the papers