Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Bear Pit > PT/ H2H

Old 03-23-2013, 07:31   #16
ZonieDiver
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bracholi View Post
My apologies all. My knowledge of chemistry is severely lacking.
“Using human embryonic kidney (HEK-293) to produce flavor enhancers …the aborted fetal tissue used to make Pepsi's flavor chemicals does not end up in the final product sold to customers…”
I didn't, and still don't, understand how the HEK-293 doesn't end up in the final product. I'm not trying to make waves, but it does appear I may have cannon-balled into a shark tank. I'll let this one go, but would like to see someone explain how one might extract a chemical from HEK-293, add it to a food, and then state that nothing of the original material made it into the food supply.
Put the shovel down.

And...open some books, google some non-tinfoil sites, and read thoroughly.

Then report back.

Thanks.

And... switch to black coffee! Seriously, it makes life so much more simple!
Old 03-23-2013, 07:40   #17
Trapper John
Quiet Professional

Bracholi - I could give you a short answer to your question about HEKs, but I much prefer Zonie's advice, so I won't Looking forward to reading what you have learned.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:00   #18
Bracholi
Auxiliary

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonieDiver View Post
Put the shovel down.

And...open some books, google some non-tinfoil sites, and read thoroughly.

Then report back.

Thanks.

And... switch to black coffee! Seriously, it makes life so much more simple!
After looking into it, I think the switch to drinking my coffee black makes sense. I'm thinking it may help me quit smoking as well. Thanks for the advice.
Bracholi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:34   #19
Bracholi
Auxiliary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapper John View Post
Bracholi - I could give you a short answer to your question about HEKs, but I much prefer Zonie's advice, so I won't Looking forward to reading what you have learned.
With this labyrinth of information and misinformation I figure I'll just wait until some reliable sourcing is available. So far the only things I can confirm is that HEK-293 is recovered from voluntarily aborted fetuses.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...feta/?page=all
Quote:
“What Pepsi is doing is saying that they’re not taking the cells directly from a fetus. Well, that’s true, they’re taking them from a lab,” Ms. Vinnedge said. “They’re doing this with semantics to get around what they’re really doing.”
Quote:
“We really aren’t going after [Nestle and Kraft] like we are with Pepsi because Pepsi is still in the development stages,” Ms. Vinnedge said. “They can change it. They can say, ‘Let’s use a morally responsible cell line.’ “
So it appears I've been wrong about many things. The original argument, before being twisted equally by the two sides, isn't about the ends, it's about the means.
Old 03-23-2013, 12:04   #20
Razor
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Probably got more than you asked for didn't ya Bro?
No, not at all. I had never even heard of inflammasomes until now, so I truly appreciate the education. I'm assuming, using a HS-level understanding of cell function, that the nucleus has at least a degree of control over these inflammasomes, or are they independent actors?

I would be very interested to see if its the molecular structure of the HFCS or simply the large amount of glucose that causes the inflammatory response, i.e., if I give someone enough HFCS or enough sucrose to result in equal amounts of glucose reaching the gut, is the response the same or markedly different? Most folks don't stop to consider the sheer amount of sugar-based calories they consume in a day when they pound down soda--its shocking, really, and I wonder if that knowledge would influence their daily drink choices.

Since the national sugar beet research facility is here in CO, I'm a strong proponent of limiting HFCS, and advocate for more research in creating HFBS...something has to replace the business lost by Magpul's move.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 13:19   #21
GratefulCitizen
Area Commander

Quote:
The short-term solution is to watch out for HFCs in the diet (nearly impossible).
True story.

I'm on the road for 230-300 miles/day in the UPS truck and another 200 miles/day commuting.
Given the location and time restrictions, finding poison-free food is difficult.

The driver who had this route before ate too much fast food, ended up with IBS, and eventually had to have a section of intestines removed.
I'm not taking any chances.

"Road" food and drink has pretty much been restricted to coffee, water, seeds, and nuts.
Only use real dairy and real sugar in coffee, and have to be careful about seeds/nuts (Planters and Frito-Lay stuff usually comes poison-free).

Food at home involves plenty of oatmeal (regular whole grain rolled oats) some "organic" stuff, and things recommended in Joel Fuhrman's GOMBBS diet.
Drink is limited to coffee, green tea, herbal teas, water, and Guinness beer.

A strange side-effect of the diet is changing taste preferences and reduced cravings/hunger.
Sometimes go 20 hours without eating and don't feel hungry.

The food tends to be more expensive, but your health is probably a good investment.
Possessions can be replaced or purchased in the future, lost health can't always be restored.
"Whoever watches the wind will not plant; whoever looks at the clouds will not reap." -Ecclesiastes 11:4 (NIV)
GratefulCitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 19:41   #22
Bracholi
Auxiliary

So after rummaging around the kitchen for a bit, it appears we're low on foods containing HFCS as it is. The exceptions being pop-tarts, nutrigrain bars, and karo syrup. My wife's now considering making our daughter home-made nutrigrain bars and pop-tarts from scratch.

Also, she's currently making Lactation Cookies, being as she's 40 weeks pregnant and should bring our son into the world any day now. I didn't realize how delicious a healthier cookie could be. I thought the use of dried oats in it would make a chewy cookie, but I was wrong. There isn't any noticeable difference in consistency. Good stuff.

Just made a run on spinach as well... I've never been a fan of any form of salad dressing/vinaigrette so I've actually never eaten a salad. I can however eat my weight in Spinach. So I now believe that a majority of my diet will be made up by bell peppers / spinach / onions / broccoli, stir fried in a small amount of olive oil and soy sauce.
Old 03-23-2013, 21:57   #23
NurseTim
Guerrilla Chief

I found this interesting.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=fvwrel&v=dBnniua6-oM
NurseTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 23:03   #24
GratefulCitizen
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
I would be very interested to see if its the molecular structure of the HFCS or simply the large amount of glucose that causes the inflammatory response, i.e., if I give someone enough HFCS or enough sucrose to result in equal amounts of glucose reaching the gut, is the response the same or markedly different? Most folks don't stop to consider the sheer amount of sugar-based calories they consume in a day when they pound down soda--its shocking, really, and I wonder if that knowledge would influence their daily drink choices.
Glucose vs fructose is addressed about the 45 minute mark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NurseTim View Post
Around the 41 minute mark he seems to summarize why steps 1 and 2 work in my suggestion.
Not so worried anymore about getting 70% of my calories from fat.

Good stuff NT, thanks for sharing.

<edit>
Finished the video.
Wow.

Have a few more adjustments to make to the household diet.
Don't consume much sucrose, but definitely going to address it...especially with regards to my kids.
"Whoever watches the wind will not plant; whoever looks at the clouds will not reap." -Ecclesiastes 11:4 (NIV)

Last edited by GratefulCitizen; 03-23-2013 at 23:50.
Old 04-29-2013, 21:13   #25
GratefulCitizen
Area Commander

Watching that video prompted action.
Been doing something about sugar for the past 5 weeks.

Age/activity level:
-41 years old.
-Don't "work out".

Get about 2-4 hrs per day of natural movement hauling around boxes in the afternoon, but it doesn't really rise to the level of "working out".
Spend most of the day sitting (driving or at home).

Cut sugar completely for 3 weeks, excepting what occurred naturally in berries and other plant foods.
Gradually been letting a little back in for the past 2 weeks.

Satisfied with results.

Within 3 days, I could take deeper breaths and had more torso flexibility.
Must have something to do with "visceral" fat.

Prior to cutting sugar, weighed in the low 180 lb range (at 6'2") and the body fat scale would read 13-15% (weight had been stable, body fat was gradually lowering).
Blood pressure was often reading above 120/80 and morning RHR was around 52-56 bpm (both had been creeping up recently).

Weight is in the low 170 lb range now with body fat reading 9-11% (tonight it was 171 lbs and 8%).
Blood pressure is back under 120/80 and morning RHR is 43-48 bpm.

Told a customer about what I was doing so he tried it and is getting results.

He has serious weight problems, digestive tract issues, and gout.
He's dropped 10 lbs in 3 weeks with no issues other than some minor fatigue.

Looks like the guy in the video may be on to something.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:13   #26
Trapper John
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
No, not at all. I had never even heard of inflammasomes until now, so I truly appreciate the education. I'm assuming, using a HS-level understanding of cell function, that the nucleus has at least a degree of control over these inflammasomes, or are they independent actors?
Sorry it took so long to get back to answering your question. The short answer is Yes but there is feedback - one regulating the other. I've attached a pretty good paper by one of the leaders in the field.

We can follow up with a discussion of how HFCS (or high doses of glucose) are stressors that effect the gut microbiota and that is what promotes obesity. HFCS is just a more concentrated form of fructose and in the continual levels we are ingesting them induce the change in the gut microbiota via the inflammasome. I suspect that fructose is more potent at inducing this effect than glucose, but haven't done the critical experiments to prove that point yet.

Hope this helps. More later.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Inflammasomes Far Beyond Inflammation.pdf (815.0 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by Trapper John; 04-30-2013 at 09:14. Reason: Typos
Trapper John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:31   #27
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Just make pinole squares and make sure you mix in some chia. Spread with peanut butter. You can go all day on a couple.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:42   #28
sinjefe
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by GratefulCitizen View Post
Watching that video prompted action.
Been doing something about sugar for the past 5 weeks.

Age/activity level:
-41 years old.
-Don't "work out".

Get about 2-4 hrs per day of natural movement hauling around boxes in the afternoon, but it doesn't really rise to the level of "working out".
Spend most of the day sitting (driving or at home).

Cut sugar completely for 3 weeks, excepting what occurred naturally in berries and other plant foods.
Gradually been letting a little back in for the past 2 weeks.

Satisfied with results.

Within 3 days, I could take deeper breaths and had more torso flexibility.
Must have something to do with "visceral" fat.

Prior to cutting sugar, weighed in the low 180 lb range (at 6'2") and the body fat scale would read 13-15% (weight had been stable, body fat was gradually lowering).
Blood pressure was often reading above 120/80 and morning RHR was around 52-56 bpm (both had been creeping up recently).

Weight is in the low 170 lb range now with body fat reading 9-11% (tonight it was 171 lbs and 8%).
Blood pressure is back under 120/80 and morning RHR is 43-48 bpm.

Told a customer about what I was doing so he tried it and is getting results.

He has serious weight problems, digestive tract issues, and gout.
He's dropped 10 lbs in 3 weeks with no issues other than some minor fatigue.

Looks like the guy in the video may be on to something.
GC,

Normally I enjoy reading your posts. This one, however, has forced me to come to the conclusion that you are a dork.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:20   #29
frostfire
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by NurseTim View Post
good stuff...makes me reevaluate lots of thing
Some of my habits that has helped since childhood are I don't drink soft drink because it hurts my throat and I don't use salad dressing because the main course is normally flavorful enough that I can just toss it in. At the same time, my consumption of processed/instant meal and using fastfood joints as ruck destination definitely need revision

Thanks for the self empirical study GC, and lol at sinjefe post...you can count me in the dork category too. I think you meant very analytical and methodical though INTJ all the way!

"So we can suffer, and in suffering we know who we are" David Goggins

"Aide-toi, Dieu t'aidera " Jehanne, la Pucelle

Der, der Geld verliert, verliert einiges;
Der, der einen Freund verliert, verliert viel mehr;
Der, der das Vertrauen verliert, verliert alles.

INDNJC
frostfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 21:37   #30
GratefulCitizen
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostfire View Post
Thanks for the self empirical study GC, and lol at sinjefe post...you can count me in the dork category too. I think you meant very analytical and methodical though INTJ all the way!
INTJ...very much so.
Most of my close friends are also INTJ.

Still have some workout logs somewhere tracking what exercise routines got the best results for the least amount of workout time.
Also tried different supplements and diets to see how they worked.

<Break>

Sinjefe, you're just now figuring out that I'm a dork?
Thought it was pretty evident in the exchanges with Nmap 4-5 years ago.
http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/...ad.php?t=18342