Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Bear Pit > PT/ H2H

Old 05-12-2011, 12:56   #31
Maytime
Guerrilla

We ran through the new APRT a while ago as a trial run. I thought the standards for the rower were a bit nit-picky and not clearly defined (varied greatly from scorer to scorer).

I liked the new push up standard; to me it was easier, but the 2 second rest period thing was a bit goofy. The scorer had to keep track of how many reps you did AND the amount of rest you were taking, and some folks had trouble keeping an accurate count. It was painfully obvious to see who has never worked their triceps...

I'm unsure about the sprint; it seemed like no matter how fast you went, your score totally hinged on how accurately you placed the block. Not exactly a fitness standard IMHO.

The jump was fun; mostly we laughed at the people who fell on their face slipping on the wet grass.

No issues with the run.

my $0.02, YMMV
Old 05-13-2011, 06:47   #32
Jefe
Auxiliary

Road March

I have always thought that the PT Test should include a Road March.
Jefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 17:25   #33
Murak
Asset

Reserves APRT

Our reserve unit was selected to administer and run a trial form of the APRT next month. I'm thoroughly excited to attempt different physical training tests but the "One-one thousand two-one thousand...terminated" seems a little strange. As to quote from an earlier post we were all trying to figure out how the "Check your block" was going to affect the critical .5seconds you may need on your shuttle. Have there been any other units that have standardized this new test within the past month?

Strength beyond physical capacity.

"They say time is the cure. I can't wait, it's too slow for me."
Murak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 15:59   #34
distance-runner
SF Candidate

Good Article

http://www.army.mil/article/54721/Ne...6_month_trial/

Looks like at least a 6 month trial before the APRT gets officially implemented.

Here's an interesting quote on how the 1 min. of push ups will go down:

"During the two minutes of push-ups of the APFT (Army Physical Fitness Test) we currently do, I do between 60 to 70. Today, (at the Pentagon demo) I did about 29 push-ups in one minute. It sounds like a big difference but for me, the biggest difference is the fact that I can't move my hands and use different muscle groups. Also, not being able to take a break, or sag or bow my back definitely makes a big difference."

Push ups will be very different with no rest or < 2 seconds as posted above, and mainly triceps targeted as hands are required to be in close and cannot move. Should be fun. Here's a video demonstration of all the APRT events:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cf8wn...eature=related
Old 07-25-2011, 12:21   #35
Murak
Asset

Trial

Ran an APRT trial this weekend at drill, results listed.

Pushups - 39
V-ups/Situps - 45
Shuttle - 14.0sec
Standing Jump - 103in
1.5mi. Run - 9:04min

Strength beyond physical capacity.

"They say time is the cure. I can't wait, it's too slow for me."
Murak is offline   Reply With Quote