Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Bear Pit > PT/ H2H

Old 05-08-2010, 05:47   #31
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by NousDefionsDoc View Post
This thread is about sandbags, not lifting free weights. There are other threads for that.

steel eel,
Where are you getting your rubber mulch?
Yeah, yeah, yeah...

I would like to know about the rubber mulch as well.

Crip

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 08:00   #32
Sean
Asset

Rubber mulch works great. I made an 80lb. sandbag a couple weeks ago from an old duffel bag and rubber mulch from Lowe's. It was about $7 for a 20lb. bag. It's bulky enough, doesn't shift around on you like sand or other materials might, and easier to find (in the South, anyways) than the wood pellets that the Military Athlete guys recommend. I've used it on a few workouts, and it holds up well, and works great for getups, cleans, and carries. The only downside is that $28-30 is a bit pricey, but still better than a lot of online vendors that sell sandbags for $60+.
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 09:22   #33
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Should have known Lowe's. I asked them about the wood pellets and they didn't know what I was talking about. I kind of like the shifting around though - stabilizers.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 15:17   #34
zeke
Asset

I was able to find wood pellets at Home Depot for $5 per 45lb. bag. Not sure if they have them at all Home Depots. I haven't had any issues with dust but I'm in a bit of a soggy location.
zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 12:31   #35
steel_eel
Auxiliary

Edit: Someone already answered the question.

Last edited by steel_eel; 05-12-2010 at 12:42.
steel_eel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 10:32   #36
steel_eel
Auxiliary

Have you created any sand bag exercises? Let's see them.

Here is one:

The Bear Went Over The Mountain 80# bag.
Begin with the sand bag lying lengthwise, bottom facing you, your legs shoulder-width apart. Squat down to bear hug the bag, and immediately sling it on your right shoulder while thrusting your legs up. Using both arms, lift bag over head to opposite shoulder (not unlike exercise used in group log pt). Bear hug the bag, squat down to starting position, and return bag to its original location. Repeat exercise with left shoulder first. This is one rep.

YouTube user "RobShaul" has some good sandbag exercises. He runs Mountain Athlete/Military Athlete. I like what he has going on across the board, and I actually prefer his routines over most CF programs.
steel_eel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 15:03   #37
Boomer-61
Auxiliary

Bag filler

I finally put together a bag of my own and used the wood pellets. I found them at Northern Tool and Equipment. If they don't have them in stock you can order them to that store and not have to pay shipping. The 40lb bad was $6. I used a parachute bag filled with two bags of the chips. I just left them in the plastic. The weight to fill volume ratio is good.
Boomer-61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 10:27   #38
abc_123
Quiet Professional

A standard army duffle will hold 120# of wood pellets. Open up the bag and just dump them in. No room for more pellets than that.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:21   #39
Back211
Asset

I used rice in my sandbags. There is an asian market couple min away (the closest store to my house) and I got a good deal on alot of rice so I made a couple sandbags and a punching bag.
Fine sawdust is alot heavier but the rice is easier to handle, however alot of sawmills and workshops will be happy to give you their sawdust.
Before I made some sandbags I had leftover bags of concrete that had hardened a long time ago and where just lying around, I used that for training too and its nice too.
Just throwing ideas out there.
Back211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 15:33   #40
booker
Guerrilla

The duffel is great for a heavy sandbag, but you can also build a bulgarian bag using an old inner tube (or dish out a couple hundred bucks for an "authentic" bag). Also, Tractor Supply has inexpensive wood pellets.

http://mountainstrength.squarespace....arian-bag.html

Some workouts with the bulgarian bag:

http://thestrengthdoctor.com/?p=695
Old 03-21-2011, 17:01   #41
scooter
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back211 View Post
I used rice in my sandbags. There is an asian market couple min away (the closest store to my house) and I got a good deal on alot of rice so I made a couple sandbags and a punching bag.
Fine sawdust is alot heavier but the rice is easier to handle, however alot of sawmills and workshops will be happy to give you their sawdust.
Before I made some sandbags I had leftover bags of concrete that had hardened a long time ago and where just lying around, I used that for training too and its nice too.
Just throwing ideas out there.
Just don't put the saw dust bags near the fire...
scooter is offline   Reply With Quote