Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Bear Pit > PT/ H2H

Old 03-23-2008, 12:45   #31
longrange1947
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-factor View Post
My wife out of the blue asked me to buy her one of those extendable batons to carry, but I'm not sure its such a good idea and I don't want her to have a false sense of security.

She's only 5'1", untrained (only one semester of self defense and that was years ago in college), and not especially athletic. She's very threat conscious and she's not squeamish. I don't doubt she'd have the will and presence of mind to wack a guy, but I don't know if she'd be able to really employ the baton effectively.

Any advice would be appreciated. What size/brand baton? One she's got it are there any drills or techniques that would allow her to handle it better? If negative on the baton, would pepper spray be a better option?
This is, as TR stated, a bad idea. The baton becomes a deadly weapon once the weapon is used incorrectly. If you strike the head then you have created a bad situation. You are not supposed to strike joints, only long bones, ie upper arms, lower arms with caution, thighs, lower legs. As you can see, you are really close to the assailant when this occurs.

Echos, if you ever get Mace, for whatever reason, remember it is not fired into the face but onto the chest so the vapors hit his face.

Rick B.

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is knowing it is great on a hamburger but not so great sticking one up your ass.

Author - Richard.

Experience is what you get right after you need it.

Author unknown.
longrange1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 16:53   #32
echoes
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goggles Pizano View Post
Holly,

Not sure if this had been discussed in this thread but you should be aware of two tactical issues regarding OC employment:

1) When the weather is below freezing the effectiveness of your OC is diminished. In fact the colder it gets the less effective it becomes-I have sprayed suspects in single digit weather conditions and it has had no effect until they were transported to a heated environment.

2) I see you bought the stream and that is good! Fog is horrible. I have rolled through an OC cloud fighting a suspect more times than I care to mention. Just be aware that when you deploy OC it does not discriminate between sprayer and sprayee!
GP, Thank you for the information. It is good to know about the OC.

longrange...Thank You for the "head's up!"

Holly

Last edited by echoes; 03-30-2008 at 05:46. Reason: Received the answer...thanks!
echoes is offline   Reply With Quote