Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Bear Pit > PT/ H2H

Old 11-28-2006, 12:10   #46
x SF med
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete
Reading through this reminds me of Mike E taking "PT" with Big Jake's SCUBA team in the mid 70s, my mind says 76ish.

Also the fun days of "Combat Football" better know as "getting even with your highers morning".

Damn I miss combat football, and full contact softball....

Hearing, I forget. Seeing, I remember. Writing (doing), I understand. Chinese Proverb

Too many people are looking for a magic bullet. As always, shot placement is the key. ~TR
x SF med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 13:17   #47
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yurk
Mr Harsey,

You are ahead of your time...

One of the things I teach here is a MAC version of Advanced CQB training. Using simunition rounds, a team will stack on the door, enter the building, continue to search, and we will randomly place a soldier with a Full Blauer Suit on in a short room. We set up different senerios where the soldier in the suit will either grap the muzzle as soon as they enter the room, or we will force the first person in the door to have a weapon jam, etc. Using MAC training, instead of taking a knee and completing "SPORTS", we teach to the soldiers to close the distance with the enemy and drive his muzzle thru the enemy skull, Bronco Stomp Him, Butstock to the head, etc. With the Blauer Suit we can do this at 100%.

I think the senario training would make Col. Applegate proud (I think NDD would be into it too )

Yurk
We already do that during training.

It is an excellent tool, as long as the role player reacts appropriately to being shot with Sims.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 14:46   #48
frostfire
Area Commander

This have been posted before, but it's in tune with Yurk's arguments http://www.moderncombatives.org/history.html

The first time I came in contact with the concept of combatives was from gutterfingting and the two books: get tough and kill or get killed. The way I integrated it to my MA training was combatives really give the mindset aka." in sports if you don't win, you don't go home w/ medals, on the street, if you don;t win, you don't go home". This perspective turned on the controlled agression switch instantly.

Yurk, how do you teach MACP level I in a mixed unit? Do you train mixed gender group and pair opposite gender together? How you make "them" comfortable w/ the position and concept? telling them rape prevention application?

"So we can suffer, and in suffering we know who we are" David Goggins

"Aide-toi, Dieu t'aidera " Jehanne, la Pucelle

Der, der Geld verliert, verliert einiges;
Der, der einen Freund verliert, verliert viel mehr;
Der, der das Vertrauen verliert, verliert alles.

INDNJC
frostfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 15:29   #49
H2H
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostfire
This have been posted before, but it's in tune with Yurk's arguments http://www.moderncombatives.org/history.html

The first time I came in contact with the concept of combatives was from gutterfingting and the two books: get tough and kill or get killed. The way I integrated it to my MA training was combatives really give the mindset aka." in sports if you don't win, you don't go home w/ medals, on the street, if you don;t win, you don't go home". This perspective turned on the controlled agression switch instantly.

Yurk, how do you teach MACP level I in a mixed unit? Do you train mixed gender group and pair opposite gender together? How you make "them" comfortable w/ the position and concept? telling them rape prevention application?
Some of my background includes teaching "Self-Defense", and I also volunteer now teaching "Spouse Combatives" for the FRG programs around Bragg. We get the wives into the Combatives School for a 2 hour class, and go thru some of the simple drills, make it a "Fun" environment, allow them to do some of the things the husbands do in class, etc.

This is a huge difference in the way I teach MAC with females in the classes. Almost every level I class I teach has approx. 5-10 female soldiers. with approx 50-60 male soldiers. My philosophy is very direct and very simple. I let all students know day 1, that we are an "Army of One" (Army Strong does not fit the speech) and thus, if the students are big, small, white, black, male, female, skinny, fat...they will be held to the same standards for the course. It is a voluntary course and if they do not like it, don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out. The class is physically demanding, and we lose soldiers every class because of it. I am yet to have a problem with females and I do not anticipate one in the future.

Yurk
H2H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 09:13   #50
Maisy
Ant Bed Kicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostfire
How you make "them" comfortable w/ the position and concept?
The rest of this thread is far out of my knowledge, but this particular query I would like to address from the other side. As most of you know, I am a complete noobie to martial arts, having only started late last year. So the whole "comfort" question is something I have recent experience with.

So, I started Gracie BJJ a few months ago.

I knew going into it that there weren't many women learning, although I didn't at the time realise how few there actually were. I later found out I am one of only 3 women in the entire class. Since most of the time we miss each other (different class times), I think I've only been able to train against another woman maybe 3 times so far. So 99% of the time, my sparring partner is male. Yes, it was scary to walk alone into a class full of strange group of men on that first night. So what? I took a leaf out of the XY manual for it. I ignored it. Worked like a charm.

It was made easier by the fact that the men were all polite and respectful, but as I found out later that wasn't a special effort for me, that's just the way the class is run. About the only thing they changed (as far as I am aware) was to clean up the language a little... Remind me to tell you the story about the "north-south" position one day.

I knew going in I might be initially uncomfortable. It was just something I had to deal with if I wanted to have the benefit of the class. I imagine most woman beginning that first day training feel similar. Big deal. They're grown-ups, they can deal with it.

Personally I'm there to learn a skill. I see the fact that I'm always matched against men who are taller, heavier and stronger than I am a bonus, not a detriment. Sparring with a male teaches me how to defend against a male, and also gets me somewhat used to the level of force a male uses (obviously only to a point).

The only thing I thought about when getting into the positions with a partner I had only met that night was that I was lucky I didn't have the sensitive bits you guys have to worry about, and to watch where my knees were going so I didn't make them cry (accidently, anyway).

Otherwise I was concentrating so hard on the moves nothing else impinged. Once I started sparring I didn't have time to think about being uncomfortable, I was too busy being thrown around....

I find the other women in the class to be similar in attitude. I don't request or expect special attention. If I get hurt, which I do every time (I always come home sporting enough technicolour bruises I look like a battered woman) I do exactly what the men do. I ignore it unless I'm bragging about it.

Anyway, my point is, apart from some basic stuff such as being polite and respectful, I don't see that an instructor should have to change their classes to "cater" for women. That phrase usually means "dumbing down" things because people don't believe women can handle it. In fact the reason for me moving from Hapkido to BJJ was specifically due to my Hapkido instructor beginning to structure his classes like an aerobics class. Idiot!
Old 12-02-2006, 19:58   #51
Bill Harsey
Bladesmith to the Quiet Professionals

Maisy,
Nice to see you here and hear about your training. Good job.
Guys who don't know her, be nice...
...she's from Australia and not the city part.
Bill Harsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 05:52   #52
Maisy
Ant Bed Kicker

Yup, I'm from country Australia, so sppeeeeaaaakkk slloowwllyy and I'll try to keep up...

Thanks Mr Harsey, I'm completely loving the BJJ. I now can't understand why it has such a low female participation rate. To me, it seems to be very user-friendly, didn't take more than about 8 weeks before I was able to actually win a sparring bout.

OK, so he was 15, and it was his first night there ....but he was still bigger, stronger and heavier than I was, and he was in the dominant position and using muscle to stay there. To be able to flip him was..... fun. And it didn't take me years of training and learning Korean to get there. Of course I'm still stuffed against anyone with training and/or anyone who is serious about wanting to hurt/kill me, but I was before anyway.
Old 12-03-2006, 08:32   #53
Sacamuelas
JAWBREAKER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maisy
Of course I'm still stuffed against anyone with training and/or anyone who is serious about wanting to hurt/kill me, but I was before anyway.
LOL

Nothinggggggggggggg wrong with that Maisy. That is called Situational Awareness. Heck, I bet Mr. Harsey gets "stuffed" when wrestling some of his favorite wrestlin' opponents. Course', for Bill to challenge himself to stronger/larger opponents he has to venture out to find competitors that sound more like a song from the Wizard of Oz than some fella in dojo,"Lions, Tigers, and Bears...OH MY"
Sacamuelas is offline   Reply With Quote