Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > General Discussions

Old 07-25-2013, 19:04   #1
cbtengr
Area Commander

AF Chaplain under fire

Further proof of the erosion of this countries moral compass. Only one opinion that counts in this country, the opinion of the offended. Of course no one cares if this BS offends any of us.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-foxholes.html
cbtengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 19:28   #2
BryanK
Guerrilla Chief

Well, I had my first "DADT Repeal" briefing in a base chapel whilst mobilizing
Moral compass you say? Their moral compass is so f'd up that they couldn't lead a penny to a whore house.

"Too many men work on parts of things. Doing a job to completion, satisfies me."- Richard Proenneke
BryanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 22:18   #3
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanK View Post
...they couldn't lead a penny to a whore house.
¿Que? I'm not sure I could either.

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 06:00   #4
Irishsquid
Guerrilla

Hate speech? Wow. That may be the dumbest effing thing I've ever read. I disagree with the good Chaplain, but that certainly doesn't make anything hate speech...I will say, though, that I find the concept of a country having a 'moral compass,' kind of confusing. People have moral compasses, and most morals are completely subjective...so for a nation of varied individuals to have a moral compass is just...confusing...

If, however, we decide that a country should have a moral compass, decided based on its adherence to the ethics or morals required by a given religion, then I'll say this country's moral compass was gone long before any of us were born...and it had nothing to do with Chaplains...
Irishsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:30   #5
Richard
Quiet Professional

Original story and chaplain's OpEd piece if anyone's interested in reading it.

Personally, I think the CH Reyes did an excellent job of 'walking the line' of not declaring a necessity for any 'religious' faith in his opinion piece and the JBER Cdr was in error in not standing up for what he said and his right to say it.

Richard

Chaplain Ordered to Remove Religious Essay From Military Website
FoxNewsRadio

http://radio.foxnews.com/toddstarnes...y-website.html
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:56   #6
JHD
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Original story and chaplain's OpEd piece if anyone's interested in reading it.

Personally, I think the CH Reyes did an excellent job of 'walking the line' of not declaring a necessity for any 'religious' faith in his opinion piece and the JBER Cdr was in error in not standing up for what he said and his right to say it.

Richard

Chaplain Ordered to Remove Religious Essay From Military Website
FoxNewsRadio

http://radio.foxnews.com/toddstarnes...y-website.html
Agree. I thought his piece was fair and balanced. I wonder if the situation had been reversed and an atheist wrote an opinion on why there was no God. If Christians had then complained, would the piece have been pulled?
JHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:28   #7
Irishsquid
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHD View Post
Agree. I thought his piece was fair and balanced. I wonder if the situation had been reversed and an atheist wrote an opinion on why there was no God. If Christians had then complained, would the piece have been pulled?

In general, I think both sides should just keep it to themselves, and stop writing articles. Atheism is just as much a 'faith,' as any religion, and equally irritating when it is pushed on me. I tend to follow the philosophy of "Religion is like a penis. It's ok to have one, and it's ok to be proud of it, but it's not ok to take it out and wave it around."
Old 07-26-2013, 08:35   #8
JHD
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishsquid View Post
In general, I think both sides should just keep it to themselves, and stop writing articles. Atheism is just as much a 'faith,' as any religion, and equally irritating when it is pushed on me. I tend to follow the philosophy of "Religion is like a penis. It's ok to have one, and it's ok to be proud of it, but it's not ok to take it out and wave it around."
I don't necessarily disagree with you, but based on where he wrote it, his regular column, Chaplain's Corner, it seems like faith would be the primary topic.
JHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 09:35   #9
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Our progress in becoming a nation of the offended is nearly complete.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:09   #10
craigepo
Quiet Professional

Father Emil Kapaun just received a posthumous Medal of Honor for his Korean War service. Fast-forward to today, and we discipline a military chaplain for this?

There are a lot of overpaid leaders in this country.

"One man with courage makes a majority." Andrew Jackson

"Well Mr. Carpetbagger. We got something in this territory called the Missouri boat ride."
Josey Wales
craigepo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:29   #11
Trapper John
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post

TR
BiNGO!! Well said, well said.
Old 07-26-2013, 19:46   #12
cbtengr
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishsquid View Post
Have I missed something here, does the military now force religion on it's soldiers? I would never force my beliefs on anyone and in the same vein I would expect the same from those whose views differ from mine. If you are an atheist fine, if that works for you great. This man is a CHAPLAIN, it's all about his faith, it's his column and he is certainly entitled to his beliefs.
cbtengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 02:14   #13
Irishsquid
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbtengr View Post
Have I missed something here, does the military now force religion on it's soldiers?
Well, simply put, yes. Each and every time someone is forced to bow his/her head for a farce of a prayer. I didn't have a problem with it back when I went through boot camp, because I was a staunch Christian at the time...but yes...it was most certainly pushed. Right up there with "You can go to church on sunday, or you can police the barracks. Only way you get to rest is if you go to church."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brush Okie View Post
Look up the job of a Chaplin/minister/rabbi etc. It is to preach and talk to others about their faith. Notice I did not say push it on people but it is his JOB to talk about his faith, not keep it to himself.
That, I agree with. It is his job...and as I said, calling what he said 'hate speech,' is about the dumbest thing I've ever heard. I think the guy should be able to stand there in the middle of the service and preach his faith. Not watered down, not 'seeker-friendly,' and not PC. I think that is his job. I just don't exactly understand why there is a "Chaplain's Corner." If I want to get preached at, I'll go to the Sunday service. Then again, I suppose I always have the right not to read it...but can we at least have a "Physicist's Corner?" Clearly, that is a jest...really, though, yeah, my comment about not writing the article was out of line. It IS the Chaplain's job to preach his faith, and if he is given the space to do so in print, he should do so. He should also do so without fear that some idiot will cry "hate speech."

If the world wants to hear an example of hate speech, they should come talk to me, not a Chaplain in the service of a faith that truly does preach love for one's fellow man, regardless of what some of its practitioners do...

Last edited by Irishsquid; 07-27-2013 at 02:21.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:32   #14
Paslode
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post

TR
Quote:
After stints at prominent law firms in both New York City and Washington D.C., Mikey served as the first General Counsel to Texas billionaire and two-time Presidential candidate H. Ross Perot and Perot Systems Corporation. He left Mr. Perot’s employ in 2006 to focus his fulltime attention on the nonprofit charitable foundation he founded to directly battle the far-right militant radical evangelical religious fundamentalists: the Military Religious Freedom Foundation. (http://www.militaryreligiousfreedom.org)

And like many in the NOT 4 Profit Industry Mikey probably receives ample compensation for their so-called philanthropic work.

The funny thing is he doesn't say much about Radical Islam, his focus is Christianity.....I am guessing the Anti-Christian donor pool is far larger and far less life threatening.

Quote:
**SNIP**

About CAIR though, you’ve made some very ill-informed claims. They actually do preach tolerance, and loudly! This is why they are our allies. They support equal treatment of all US citizens, regardless of their religious allegiance. You’ve also made the claim that they support a “fake fantage religion, that is satanic.” No one could begin to argue that their religion is fake. It has more adherents than yours. While I’m not a believer of any of the religions that are causing you such severe indigestion, your argument that Islam is “fake” is hardly one coming from a person well versed in world religions. As for it being a satanic religion…well, you’ve jumped ship altogether there. The Islamic tradition does not worship or support Satan. They’re actually on your team as far as that character goes. Not friendly to the guy at all.

Cheers,

Blake A. Page
Military Religious Freedom Foundation
Special Assistant to the President
Director of West Point Affairs

And who is Blake Page....

http://www.zoominfo.com/p/Blake-Page/1880909235

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/blake-...b_2232279.html

Here is an interview with Mikey:

http://www.pjvoice.com/v32/32300words.aspx

Quote:
About four or five months later, I was at the Academy for a conference, when my younger son (who had just finished the arduous one-month combat survival training) asked me if it would be possible to sit down and talk. It was June 29, 2004, and he was very troubled. He told me he had been called a "fucking Jew," and that he and the Jewish people had total complicity in the execution of Jesus Christ by numerous people up and down the chain of command at numerous places around the Academy.

I took that back to the administration and told them to fix this or I would go to war. I gave them a few months, and then I went to war against them. I’ve been at war against them ever since, in late November 2004.
So his son was called a nasty name and Mikey took it upon himself to go to war against Christianity.

From Allen West:

Quote:
Obama’s conviction believes Mikey Weinstein of the Military Religious Freedom Foundation, an oxymoronic title, must be allowed to castigate as seditious and treasonous the Christians in the military who profess their faith and to condemn them of categorically enacting “spiritual rape.”

Last edited by Paslode; 07-27-2013 at 08:49.
Paslode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:50   #15
Trapper John
Quiet Professional

Paslode- A very good example of the insurgency and the tactics used that are undermining every aspect of our society and very effectively too IMO. To paraphrase TR - the caliphate is nearly complete.

Boiling frogs