Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Special Forces Fieldcraft

Old 09-08-2006, 20:49   #226
Gypsy
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by x_sf_med
Can Gypsy play Bonnie, although she might not be radical enough....
Who might not be radical enough...me...or Bonnie?

I had also wondered why not use washers for spacers for the rims, now I know.

Last edited by Gypsy; 09-08-2006 at 20:53.
Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 08:32   #227
Bill Harsey
Bladesmith to the Quiet Professionals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy
Who might not be radical enough...me...or Bonnie?

I had also wondered why not use washers for spacers for the rims, now I know.
One reason that washers may not work well is that if you select a handful of cut flat washers out of the bin they probably (almost certainly) will not all be the same thickness unless you are careful to find hardened washers which have better quality control.
yes you can take the time to sort out the 60 or so washers you will need and match them up in groups of five even stacks...

...but that plasma torch works so well
Bill Harsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 08:41   #228
Gypsy
Area Commander

Mr. Harsey, you're the man! Makes sense actually.
Old 09-24-2006, 20:45   #229
Bill Harsey

Applied Redneck Engineering

For some reason last week I found myself at 6 AM stepping into an 18 foot motored driftboat pulled against a gravel bar on the Nehalem River, just inland from tidewater on the north Oregon coast.

My guide friend and I were chasing some unruly King Salmons that had decided to race upstream with the first rains. This time of year the river ranges from 35 ft. deep in places to ankle deep over the riffles with plenty of large rocks hiding just under the dark surface everywhere else.

Somehow we found a big rock that resulted in the motor coming off the mounts and hitting another big rock. After picking the Honda motor back up and drying out the parts that don't use water very well, it wouldn't start.

We went thru the standard drill, spark plug dried, fuel and spark was still good but no amount of pulling would get fire and my guide buddy figured he had just killed the motor for good and went to the oars.

Turns out the intake manifold was cracked open behind the carb mount and the air fuel mix wasn't being drawn into the cylinder to make fire. Now my friend knew he really had killed the motor and was doing the math on that repair. He wasn't having a very good day.

I asked him to hand me my pack with the first aid kit, his was closer and he handed me his roll of white athletic tape and I proceeded to tear short strips and build a "cast" around the crack about five layers thick. Then after a few pulls the motor fired, not perfectly but with careful choke control we had a motor that would run full revs and this lasted the rest of the day. There must have been a bit more crack on the underside that couldn't be seen or accessed but we had a motor again.

Oh yeah, thousands of Kings were migrating up the river in sizes ranging from 25 to over 50 lbs. They jumped and splashed all over the place and had zero interest in taking anything with a hook in it. We got to watch the rain go sideways past our face all day long while the salmon laughed at us but at least the motor got us back.

Last edited by Bill Harsey; 09-24-2006 at 20:54.
Old 09-24-2006, 21:10   #230
Gypsy
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harsey
Oh yeah, thousands of Kings were migrating up the river in sizes ranging from 25 to over 50 lbs. They jumped and splashed all over the place and had zero interest in taking anything with a hook in it.
Maybe they were just celebrating your redneck engineering success Mr. H,

Though some fresh caught salmon would have been a just reward for your hard work....
Old 09-25-2006, 06:44   #231
x SF med
Quiet Professional

What? No 100mph tape, in the bellows pocket? The horror, the horror!!!

Hearing, I forget. Seeing, I remember. Writing (doing), I understand. Chinese Proverb

Too many people are looking for a magic bullet. As always, shot placement is the key. ~TR
x SF med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 08:42   #232
Bill Harsey

Quote:
What? No 100mph tape, in the bellows pocket? The horror, the horror!!!
That's for you big city kids.
Old 09-25-2006, 08:44   #233
x SF med
Quiet Professional

Quote:
That's for you big city kids.
Nah, real big city kids would have a tube of JB Weld in the boat, dontcha know.

Hearing, I forget. Seeing, I remember. Writing (doing), I understand. Chinese Proverb

Too many people are looking for a magic bullet. As always, shot placement is the key. ~TR
x SF med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 09:44   #234
Bill Harsey

Quote:
Nah, real big city kids would have a tube of JB Weld in the boat, dontcha know.
We talked about wanting some JB Weld but I'd left it behind in the shop.
I also seriously considered using my friends 2 liter water bottle and lighting it on fire and use the dripping plastic as a "weld" material. He wasn't too enthusiastic about fire next to the carb even after telling him we'd find all the extra gas leaks.

"dontcha know" I think that's truck driving CB talk, we haven't evolved that far yet in the woods.
Old 10-31-2006, 11:35   #235
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrino
Instead of a solution, I have a solicitation. Sr. Harsey - HELP! I didn't properly store my chainsaw last year. All the usual excuses but I never got around to draining the fuel system and it had a half tank of bad gas sitting in it for most of a year. (I don't have much call to use a chainsaw so when I got it out to test for hurricane season I realized I'd screwed up when it wouldn't start.) I drained it, put in fresh fuel, and got it to start. It worked for a while but now it won't run unless it's on it's side (felling position). As soon as I turn it upright, it quits. I suspect fuel contaminants are clogging something. Is there a solution short of rebuilding the carburator? (Helpful) Suggestions would be most welcome. I really don't want to rebuild a carburator. Thanx - Peregrino
You made me want to find out if my Stihl would run after three years sitting with gas in it.

Since I finally worked my way back to where it was sitting in the garage yesterday, it seemed like a good time to find out.

I dumped the three year old gas (which had Sta-Bil added) and let it drain. I thought about pulling the spark plug, but decided to try it without dragging out any tools.

Then I added fresh gas, gave it a couple of squirts of fresh Sta-Bil, set the choke, and started pulling. Four pulls later, it fired up. Frankly, I was shocked.

Needless to say, I am a Stihl and Sta-Bil customer for life.

I did have an old edger that needed help starting, and we found that WD-40 can work as a starter fluid.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 14:17   #236
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

TR - Mine had to go to the shop. $110 later (and a second trip to the shop) it runs like a top (again). My problem was compounded because the gas actually dissolved the rubber fuel line between the in-tank filter and the carb. Seems that should be replaced annually as routine maintenance - especially if gas has sat in the tank for an extended period. I'm in agreement about the Stihl saws though. This one has seen untold abuse (I bought it broken from a notorious "tool user" in 7th Gp who we won't name here) and with minor repairs it has served me well. Peregrino
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 14:02   #237
kachingchingpow
Guerrilla

Stihl rocks. I've got one in the garage that I've had for 16 years. Could be used as a boat anchor and it would still start on the 3rd pull.

On mine there's a small fuel filter on the gas pickup line inside the tank. Check it next time you have starting issues. Might save a trip to the shop. I have to use a pair of curved hemostats to get to mine.
kachingchingpow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 15:49   #238
Bill Harsey

Ok, I opened up this thread and then walked out back behind the shop where my Stihl 076 has been sitting in the rain for a week with nothing but the same untreated saw gas it's had since this summer.
It took nine pulls then it fired right up and and ran strong. No way would a saw motor start after Reapers three years using un-treated two cycle gas, at least not in my experience.

Jack, the saw has the 36 inch bar on it now but the 48 inch bar and chain are hanging up just inside of the shop door for when it's time to come out and help you finish clear cutting your place.

Last edited by Bill Harsey; 11-03-2006 at 15:52.
Old 11-03-2006, 16:21   #239
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Ok, I opened up this thread and then walked out back behind the shop where my Stihl 076 has been sitting in the rain for a week with nothing but the same untreated saw gas it's had since this summer.
It took nine pulls then it fired right up and and ran strong. No way would a saw motor start after Reapers three years using un-treated two cycle gas, at least not in my experience.

Jack, the saw has the 36 inch bar on it now but the 48 inch bar and chain are hanging up just inside of the shop door for when it's time to come out and help you finish clear cutting your place.

I'll be sulking in a corner with my trusty 026 and its 16" bar. Let me guess - that one's for feeding the sawmill you've got under a tarp behind the shop. Peregrino
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 21:01   #240
Bill Harsey

Peregrino,
Many days went by when I would have killed for a smaller chainsaw while logging.

About the sawmill question, No I don't have a saw mill under a tarp BUT and this goes to the roots of this thread:

You can use a chainsaw to make timbers and lumber, even freehand which I have done.
The key here is, if you need to make a bunch of long ripping cuts is to use as big a displacement saw as you can get and the chain has to be sharpened different.
When we look down on top of a saw chain set up for normal bucking the cutting tooth sharpening angle will be something like 25 to 35 degrees from perpendicular to the bar it rides on.

For ripping, re-sharpen the chain to 10 to 0 degrees and make sure all the rakers are as even as possible in height and keep them HIGH so the saw runs faster using less power. This will produce a smoother cut.