Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > General Discussions

Old 04-27-2013, 22:29   #16
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRB View Post
I kill the diamond backs because they are territorial, they don't roam much...
A woman that volunteers at the SPH with my wife had 4 dogs killed by WDBs but she wouldn't kill them. She would catch them and move them several blocks away. Last year she said that she moved 19. I told Nancy that she probably only moved 4 or 5. To find out, she painted one with an orange spot and took it a mile away. It came back. She took it 10 miles away. It came back. She gave up and killed it.

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 22:40   #17
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last hard class View Post
PSM:

Save the dog. Use the BFR.

LHC
You never met the pup, did you? He was with us in PHX but went to sleep before you found us.

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
Old 04-27-2013, 23:36   #18
SOF_VET
Asset

CroFab

CroFab is a polyvalent antivenin that is available for treating envenomations from a variety of Crotalids and North American Pit Vipers. Reportedly, one of the four immunogens used in the production process by the company is derived from the Mojave rattlesnake's neurotoxic venom. However, it should be remembered that a number of factors are involved with the severity of clinical signs including the volume of venom injected, concentration of the venom, age of the snake, location of the bite, etc.

A vaccine for dogs has been developed, but the results are not overwhelmingly significant compared to nonvaccinated dogs. You'll have better results if you PMCS your yard with a .22 or a garden hoe as has been suggested already!

For your information:
http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/vmth/p...newsvol4-1.pdf
http://www.crofab.com/about-crofab

Dale
Old 04-28-2013, 13:29   #19
akv
Area Commander

PRB,

That would get my attention Sir. Do you use snake shot for rattlers?
"Men Wanted: for Hazardous Journey. Small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful. Honour and recognition in case of success.” -Sir Ernest Shackleton

“A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.” –Greek proverb
akv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 13:52   #20
Ambush Master
Quiet Professional

I live in and have hunted in some Serious Rattler country and when I'm out in "the sticks", I carry a Model 29 loaded with #9 shot!!
Old 04-28-2013, 15:04   #21
PRB
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by akv View Post
PRB,

That would get my attention Sir. Do you use snake shot for rattlers?
.22 shot in a small pistol does the trick....or a .38 shot shell...every store in town sells them this time of year.
PRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 15:48   #22
mdpatterson
Guerrilla

What shot did you use?

What did you use to take this bad boy out with? My neighbor just had his first of the year in the driveway a couple days ago, and foolishly went at it with a shovel instead of the .22 snake shot he had in his pocket.

Mike
mdpatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 19:41   #23
PSM
Area Commander

My wife has snake shot as her first round in her .38. The rest are JHP +P. I only carry .45ACP at the moment, but I don't run into snakes as often as she does. In fact, I've never been "rattled" or hissed at.

@AM: I've heard about smelling them first, but I guess my smeller doesn't work 'cause I don't smell anything. I was told that they smell like rotten cantaloupe.

Pat

Old 04-29-2013, 10:57   #24
Dohhunter
Guerrilla

Y'all are giving me the heebee jeebies.

The only venomous snake we have up here is the Eastern Massassauga and it only grows to a max of around 25".

My father accidentally/blindly stepped on a Western DB in Arizona about twenty five years ago when I was walking behind him on a morning desert walk. It was as big around as my then thirteen year old neck and damned if it didn't turn around to look at us as if to say "Seriously?" and kept going.

Luuuuuuuuucky.
Dohhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 21:11   #25
PSM
Area Commander

My sister called last week and told me that a rattlesnake bit my nephew’s dog. She knew that we have a snake problem and told me his Vet suggested a rattlesnake vaccine and spreading crushed mothballs around the outside of our fence. My wife agreed with this advise but I told her that the crushed mothballs was just an “old wives’ tale” and refused to do it. She said that she’d do it if I held down the moths.

Pat

Old 05-14-2013, 22:59   #26
mojaveman
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSM View Post
...and spreading crushed mothballs around the outside of our fence. My wife agreed with this advise but I told her that the crushed mothballs was just an “old wives’ tale”... Pat
I had an old cowboy tell me onetime that he used a rough hewn lariat emplaced around his sleeping position at night to keep unwanted rattlers away. Supposedly they don't like to slither over obstacles but around them.

Never tried it, but it too could be an old wives tale.

Last edited by mojaveman; 04-09-2014 at 23:42.
mojaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 23:19   #27
Sdiver
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojaveman View Post
I had an old cowboy tell me onetime that he used a rough hewn lariat emplaced around his sleeping position at night to keep unwanted rattlers away. Supposedly they don't like to slither over obstacles but around them.

Never tried it, but it too could be an old wives tale.
I've heard it's supposed to be a Horsehair rope.

This is taken from this site ... http://www.bayequest.info/horsetalk/snakes.htm

Quote:
The old tale of a horsehair rope stretched around a campsite or bedroll keeping snakes away is just that, an old tale. Snakes will crawl over cactus needles and objects a lot sharper than the hairs in a horsehair rope.
I know in True Grit, you see John Wayne do it, and if you can't believe J.W., who can you believe?

Maybe one of our resident "Snake Eaters" can shed some light on this.
Sdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 21:59   #28
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRB View Post
No idea how long he's been hanging out in my garage
Got one this morning in our garage. This is the first time, in over 50 years living in Texas, Oklahoma, Arizona, and California (and now AZ again), that I have been rattled...sort of. It was my wife that got rattled as she used the rake to drag it outside where I shot it with my .45. It was a small one and not very loud, but damn I'm impressed with the HK USP!. My first shot, DA, was pulled to the right about 2" from where I was aiming (I was about 2 1/2 to 3 yards from it), but I hit him. The second and third were exactly where I wanted them just below his head. I shot twice more just for practice then I realized I hadn't swapped mags and was shooting my $1 a round self-defense ammo. Well, $5 doller live small target practice. Not bad.

ETA: This is our third 'rattler this year and the first diamondback. The other two were Mohave, were far more aggressive, and didn't rattle. My wife shot them.

Pat

Last edited by PSM; 11-14-2015 at 22:09.
Old 11-14-2015, 23:13   #29
GratefulCitizen
Area Commander

Just about stepped on a young sidewinder at the gym about 6 weeks ago.
Lower level of the gym is just a large garage of a former boat shop and the floor is painted grey similar to the snake.

My son noticed it before I stepped on it.
Shooed it outside with a pvc pipe before it could hide under/behind equipment.

The gym manager was there and is very scared of snakes.
Occasionally I'll grab one of the workout rubber bands, loop it on my ankle so it drags behind me, and startle him with it.

Great fun.
"Whoever watches the wind will not plant; whoever looks at the clouds will not reap." -Ecclesiastes 11:4 (NIV)
GratefulCitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 21:53   #30
PSM
Area Commander

Didn't shoot it, but after a combined 14 years in AZ, I finally saw my first Gila Monster. My wife saw two in her first year. BTW, I've still never seen a bear in the wild. I've seen just about everything else to include walking up behind a cougar on a trail.

I was trying to get closer but it got in the weeds. I've spotted sign of a larger one but haven't seen it yet.

Pretty coloring on it. The pix don't do it justice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180628_164427.jpg (78.2 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg 0628181644_zpszkgyjsex.jpg (58.1 KB, 38 views)