Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > National Guard SF Groups > 20th Group

Old 03-10-2012, 07:36   #16
robert60446
Asset

Thank you guys. I will do my best. Now, I'm back to PT...
robert60446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 06:37   #17
robert60446
Asset

Guys,
My SF dream is over. I got blisters size of baseball in the middle of my feet (both feet) and can't even walk now...i got my rear end kicked, but still i think it was worth it. You learn a lot about yourself from events like this.

Cadre was extremely professional and looking after the soldiers (we had record high temperatures for march - 84F). Event is very well organized and going at the fast pace. You will receive feedback on your performance and advise on what you have to improve. As i said, cadre is really looking after the soldiers, but you have to meet their standards in order to advance. That's the bottom line.

Good luck to everyone who will be going in to the tryouts in the future!

Thanks to everyone for your help.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:18   #18
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Robert:

Sounds like not enough time rucking on a variety of terrain with the ruck and boots you were going to be wearing. Walking on sand will exacerbate that.

Don't write off using the knowledge you have gained to better prepare yourself and giving it another shot some time in the future.

Thanks for giving it a try. Best of luck.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 11:14   #19
robert60446
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post

Sounds like not enough time rucking on a variety of terrain with the ruck and boots you were going to be wearing. Walking on sand will exacerbate that.
TR, you are 100% correct with your observations about my marching workouts. I was always marching on the flat terrain - mainly on asphalt roads surrounding our neighborhood and i did pay a price for it during the tryouts...you can't go forward without your feet. It is simple as this...
Old 03-18-2012, 11:21   #20
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert60446 View Post
Guys,
My SF dream is over. I got blisters size of baseball in the middle of my feet (both feet) and can't even walk now...i got my rear end kicked, but still i think it was worth it. You learn a lot about yourself from events like this.

Cadre was extremely professional and looking after the soldiers (we had record high temperatures for march - 84F). Event is very well organized and going at the fast pace. You will receive feedback on your performance and advise on what you have to improve. As i said, cadre is really looking after the soldiers, but you have to meet their standards in order to advance. That's the bottom line.

Good luck to everyone who will be going in to the tryouts in the future!

Thanks to everyone for your help.
Blisters? We used to just pop 'em and scoot. Must have been something else...
Old 03-19-2012, 05:53   #21
robert60446
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
Blisters? We used to just pop 'em and scoot. Must have been something else...
Dusty,
No matter what kind of excuse i could offer at this point, the bottom line is: i have failed to perform at the top level. It all goes back to my training. Not enough ruck marching time. During my workouts, i have adjusted training to my needs instead of adjusting my body to the training program. The final effect - total failure.
Right from the beginning cadre was straight forward: "You will need to be in the best physical shape of your life in order to be successful during the Evaluation weekend."
I have nobody else to blame, but myself...still i'm happy i was there and that i give it my best shot. Is just my best shot was not good enough, but i have learned a lot about my body and i know what i have to improve - this is priceless...
Old 03-19-2012, 16:23   #22
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert60446 View Post
Dusty,
No matter what kind of excuse i could offer at this point, the bottom line is: i have failed to perform at the top level. It all goes back to my training. Not enough ruck marching time. During my workouts, i have adjusted training to my needs instead of adjusting my body to the training program. The final effect - total failure.
Right from the beginning cadre was straight forward: "You will need to be in the best physical shape of your life in order to be successful during the Evaluation weekend."
I have nobody else to blame, but myself...still i'm happy i was there and that i give it my best shot. Is just my best shot was not good enough, but i have learned a lot about my body and i know what i have to improve - this is priceless...
Imagine the same stress level for more than three weeks. Or even the shorter period it is now.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 23:12   #23
DevilSide
Guerrilla

Rucking is something that I've become better at with time, my PSG told me to lead with my heals and rotate my hips slightly to get extra reach while letting my arms swing and I can say it's helped my pace a good amount.
The general who advances without coveting fame and retreats without fearing disgrace, whose only thought is to protect his country and do good service for his sovereign, is the jewel of the kingdom - Sun Tzu
DevilSide is offline   Reply With Quote