Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Soapbox

Old 02-19-2018, 13:50   #1
bblhead672
Area Commander

Flashback 30 Years: Guns Were in Schools ... and Nothing Happened

Quote:
The millennial generation might be surprised to learn that theirs is the first without guns in school. Just 30 years ago, high school kids rode the bus with rifles and shot their guns at high school rifle ranges.

After another school shooting, it's time to ask: what changed?

Cross guns off the list of things that changed in thirty years. In 1985, semi-automatic rifles existed, and a semi-automatic rifle was used in Florida. Guns didn’t suddenly decide to visit mayhem on schools. Guns can’t decide.
I remember the days when the high school parking lot had lots of trucks with rifles and shotguns in the rear window rack. No one thought twice about: a) messing with anyone's guns and b) shooting up the school and classmates.
bblhead672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 13:56   #2
Streck-Fu
Area Commander

I was JROTC in high school 1986-89) and we trained with air rifles.

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Streck-Fu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 14:19   #3
PSM
Area Commander

What happened was the war on boys. Rather than proper discipline in the schools and homes, hyperactive boys were put on psychotropic drugs to control them. Eventually, they stop taking the drugs and pop. This is why the timeline for school shootings only goes back 20 years (Columbine). The guns were available before that and schools were gun-free zones before that but nothing happened. Every boy involved had been on drugs to control their behavior.

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 14:58   #4
Old Dog New Trick
Quiet Professional

What changed? An additional 30-years of liberal policies being shoved down the throats of Americans because the 20-previous years hadn’t done the job.

It started in California in places like Haight and Ashbury in the late 60’s with dope smoking haters of everything groovy. It started with a counter military movement against the Vietnam war that also saw to it that Vietnam veterans would not become educators to our children.

What changed? In 1980 Cable Network News (CNN) and others who benefit from high ratings showing the worst of humanity on a 2-hour loop for 24-hours or longer. It didn’t matter if the truth went against the message everyone with journalistic degree was an overnight expert.

What changed? They freed the last of the mentally insane (1984ish) and tore down the institutions used to treat those who did not deserve death but clearly couldn’t survive or succeed in normal life.

What changed: in 1990 yes, 1990 introduced by Sen. Joseph Biden Jr. (D-Del) and signed into law by G.H.W. Bush, the Drug and Gun Free Zone Act.

What changed? In 1994 they succeeded in banning a whole class of weapons that nobody cared much about and most couldn’t afford that amounted to less than 0.0001% of all guns used in a crime.

What changed: In 1999 two misfits killed a bunch of their classmates and themselves in the first worst school shooting and the media covered it live from the ground and the sky and throughout the week with witnesses and subject matter experts like liberal psychologists and police chiefs who were no more an expert than the local janitor for the entire week and then some. And they (media) keep reminding us every chance they get that the last body count is this so maybe you can do better.

What changed...movies, television, video games, computer games and more. There is an epidemic of violence in our culture and teachers to doctors are all to happy to administer drugs to control that culture.

What hasn’t changed? How we deal with mental illnesses and emotional issues brought about by so many things it’s hard to find a place to start.

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” (Sir Edmund Burke)
Old Dog New Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 15:15   #5
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional

What happened?

My humble opinion:

1. God removed from schools and society (no standard of conduct)

2. Gratuitous violence becomes "entertainment" (movies, board games, video games)

3. Psychotropic drugs being distributed like chicklets (pharmacologically induced violence)

4. Emotional emasculation of the human male

James Madison
Ret10Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 15:32   #6
Old Dog New Trick
Quiet Professional

Oh I forgot one important area - Zero Tolerances rules in schools where suspensions and expulsions are the norm for minor actions that used to be dealt with by in-school, after school, or Saturday morning extra curricular activities not of the fun type.

Think the “Breakfast Club” movie for those not familiar with staring at each other for an hour or hand writing an essay on your mischievous actions or fighting.

One other very important issue that needs to be reviewed is the role of the parent and discipline. Today parents and the children are under the impression that spanking your kid, grounding them, or locking up everything you ever gave them or they purchased with your money is somehow wrong. No it isn’t! Discipline starts at home and continues until they are grown and leave the house. If they stay past school and 18 it’s still your house your rules!

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” (Sir Edmund Burke)
Old 02-19-2018, 21:08   #7
sfshooter
Quiet Professional

Ret10Echo and ODNT..........well said! My thoughts exactly. I was one of those high school students that drove to school with a shotgun and rifle in the gun rack of my pickup along with lots of other classmates.
The Left has succeeded in messing our culture up completely. It's too bad they're not bright enough to see what they have caused and are in such surprise over incidents that shouldn't happen.

"I ask you sir, who are the militia? They consist now of the whole people........" George Mason
sfshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 21:11   #8
Golf1echo
Area Commander

Location: Western Carolina in the rainforest,4000' along the Eastern Cont. Div.
As said, it is obvious and no coincidence that when the result of the above mentioned causations unravel they play right into the talking points of the liberal progressives. Capital punishment isn't a deterrent because of the assumption of mental illness... And the lack of treatment. Put another way...isn't this what today's society expects?

I would include parenting. A break down of the nuclear family where expectations and responsibilities are communicated over several generations. The cost of living for single parents today which requires a single parent to work more and parent less without the traditional support mechanisms... Not as an excuse but as a contributing factor in some instances.

Essayons

By Dand

"In the school of the wilds,there is no graduation day"Horace Kephart
Golf1echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 22:24   #9
Old Dog New Trick
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfshooter View Post
The Left has succeeded in messing our culture up completely. It's too bad they're not bright enough to see what they have caused and are in such surprise over incidents that shouldn't happen.
Dare I say (maybe) it’s been the plan from the beginning and us conservatives have given them not enough credit and too much leeway to succeed?

I think we are very lucky to have dodged a very cast lead bullet this last election but we may not be so lucky next time. Going to have to stack the courts in our favor over the next three years or as many years as we have the ball.

The Dems want our guns, they will stop at nothing to get them. Our children are their fodder. Remember who the Democrats are...they have only changed their identity not their true political ideology.

Old 02-20-2018, 21:28   #10
doctom54
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSM View Post
What happened was the war on boys. Rather than proper discipline in the schools and homes, hyperactive boys were put on psychotropic drugs to control them. Eventually, they stop taking the drugs and pop. This is why the timeline for school shootings only goes back 20 years (Columbine). The guns were available before that and schools were gun-free zones before that but nothing happened. Every boy involved had been on drugs to control their behavior.

Pat
EXACTLY
Old 02-20-2018, 22:05   #11
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSM View Post
What happened was the war on boys.

Pat
X-ring.

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 07:01   #12
1stindoor
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblhead672 View Post

I remember the days when the high school parking lot had lots of trucks with rifles and shotguns in the rear window rack. No one thought twice about: a) messing with anyone's guns and b) shooting up the school and classmates.
I grew up in north Texas. Graduated HS in '82. During dove, duck, qual, rabbit, squirrel, deer, etc. season...we always had our shotguns/rifles in the gun rack in the back window in the school parking lot. There were many times we would go hunting after school. We also carried 3 + inch buck knives on our belts.
-TOMAHAWK9521
1stindoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 08:45   #13
Pete
Quiet Professional

Structured Counseling

Structured Counseling

Learned something new talking with a school teacher this past weekend. Seems some kids were getting suspended too much making the school system stats look bad.

So for those that are repeat offenders they've come up with structured counseling.

So a kid who acts out and a regular kid do the same bad deed. The regular kid is suspended and the one who acts out is told to not do it anymore.

He said within a week the students put in special counseling caught on and continue to act out - but now say "Can't touch me. I'm in special counseling."
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 11:54   #14
rsdengler
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stindoor View Post
I grew up in north Texas. Graduated HS in '82.
LOL...I graduated in "82 as well, but in the liberalized state of Maryland. It was a different time back in the early 80's, even for Marylifornia. I still remember my friends shooting in our back field, and I even walked around with a BB Gun and no one ever said a thing. Times have changed....

-Benjamin Franklin

Rita
rsdengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 13:18   #15
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Structured Counseling

Learned something new talking with a school teacher this past weekend. Seems some kids were getting suspended too much making the school system stats look bad.

So for those that are repeat offenders they've come up with structured counseling.

So a kid who acts out and a regular kid do the same bad deed. The regular kid is suspended and the one who acts out is told to not do it anymore.

He said within a week the students put in special counseling caught on and continue to act out - but now say "Can't touch me. I'm in special counseling."
Sounds like some W-W "restructuring" needs to be done with a school board.

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote