Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > 5th Special Forces Group

Old 09-07-2008, 09:43   #31
Tony G
Quiet Professional

SF from the start. 18X straight out of college.

Do not pray for easy lives. Pray to be stronger men.
- John F. Kennedy -
Tony G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 09:59   #32
Richard
Quiet Professional

I was drafted and after 5 days of testing, immunizations, and such, took the SF test. I was then discharged and re-enlisted as a volunteer for SF (12B changed to 91B after completing Phase 1). The BIG threat of not finishing SFTG was to be sent to the Eighty-Twice (11B), 20th Engineer Brigade (12B), the 44th Medical Brigade (91B), or the 50th Signal Battalion (05B). And if you REALLY pissed somebody off, you got sent to the Tilted Shithouse (1st Corps Support Command).

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 10:08   #33
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

101st ABN then 82nd then on to the Q course and never looked back.....
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 15:47   #34
skydoc60A5G
Asset

Guess you might as well hear the whole gamut......I was approached during MC Officer Basic in 1973...didn't volunteer until 9 years later after 4 years AD in Germany in Army Hospitals and some really interesting but militarily boring civilian time. Then finished the Reserve Q course starting with BAC at Ft. Benning in '83 with Phases I-III completion and full 5G qualification in '85...all of this as an active Reservist in the now deactivated 12th Special Forces Group...served 5 years in SF...best time in my military career.

Most of us got to SF as fast as we could...just took some of us longer than others...

"Homo sum: humani nihil a me alienum puto."

Last edited by skydoc60A5G; 09-07-2008 at 15:50.
skydoc60A5G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 16:44   #35
GaretTrooper
Asset

My path was Basic, Inf AIT(where I volunteered) then 24 years in SF
Old 09-07-2008, 18:44   #36
ZonieDiver
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
I was drafted and after 5 days of testing, immunizations, and such, took the SF test. I was then discharged and re-enlisted as a volunteer for SF (12B changed to 91B after completing Phase 1). The BIG threat of not finishing SFTG was to be sent to the Eighty-Twice (11B), 20th Engineer Brigade (12B), the 44th Medical Brigade (91B), or the 50th Signal Battalion (05B). And if you REALLY pissed somebody off, you got sent to the Tilted Shithouse (1st Corps Support Command).

Richard
I was a volunteer, not a draftee, but the SF recruiter got me in BCT at Ft. Lewis in Jan '70. AIT Inf at Ord, Airborne, and SF. We feared washing out and being sent not to the "Eighty-Twice," but to the "Almost Airborne"! (We had some other names for the 82nd, too.) My conventional infantry time came later, after deactivation of 8th SFGA.
Old 09-08-2008, 07:03   #37
Blitzzz (RIP)
Quiet Professional

My Military Time line.

Hey Guys, this ids it.
Joined the army out of High school 1967 (unknowingly as AIRBORNE unassigned)
SO they sent me to:
Basic at Ft Benning Ga.

AIT at Ft Gorden Ga. for MP school ( I declined a wavier for Jump School as that is why I came into the army and was sent to FT Benning for Jump School, INSTEAD of to the 716 MP Battalion in Siagon in Dec of 68 ) yes, I do believe in a God.

AT Jump School I heard that I was going to Ft Bragg to the 82 MPs, and started looking for some other line of work. Then the SF recruited walked through the class area letting all know that SF testing would be that weekend. I took the test and was sent to Bragg to SF school. Never spending a day as an MP>
Finished 12B and was ordered to 1st group on OKI ( Throw me in the Brier patch!).

In end of 1972 I was returned to Bragg where the SF slots were filled ( due to the returning of 5 th Group and the recent deactivations of the 3rd and 6th)

I was assigned in route to the 47th Eng BN (Cbt ABn) who redesignated to 27th Eng Bn Cbt Abn.

Returned to 7th Group in1976 (free at last, free at last)

1980 was spent atDLI for German
1981-1983 in Det A Berlin

Returned to Ft Knox one year, May to May in the 522nd Eng Co. Mech.(Arrghhh)
Special note: it was a fantastic learning experience for conventional Army.

I returned to 10 SFG at Devins as Team Sgt of 055 and then to Key West for three years and then to 5th group until I retired in'92. ( I was forced the retire as I had declined SGM Academy 3 times to stay a Team Sgt)

THE END. Dave Boltz (blitz)

To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.
Thomas Jefferson
Blitzzz (RIP) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 13:56   #38
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

It was about 18 months in the 82nd.....An opportunity came up to join the 77th and I jumped at it. Only problem was it lasted less than a year and I was on my way to the 11th Abn in Germany. There was a major cutback and we were the first to go......"Banks Babies" is how we were fondly referred as,by the vets in the 77th.

GB TFS
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII

Last edited by greenberetTFS; 09-08-2008 at 14:43. Reason: Clarify reason for leaving 77th....
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 15:15   #39
Mike
Quiet Professional

Enlisted Airborne Infantry Nov. 66 to beat the draft.
That was all I could get by enlisting.
I tested and passed for Infantry OCS.
At Ft Puke BCT they told us there would be a 6 month holdover for OCS and we would be assistant drill instructors while waiting for a class.
I opted out and went to Ft Gordon for Airborne Infantry AIT.
3/4 of the way thru they pulled 3 of us out of a two company formation.
They told us we had to go take the Special Forces test.
Cool-no training that day.
I was later notified that pending graduation from BAC I was to report to JFKSWC and SFTG.
There I would be trained to help save the world from the encroaching red tide.
I went to 6th Gp after SFTG, 2 tours 5th Grp as an A Team Puke, 6 months with 7th Grp and out.
All in 47 months.
I would do it again in a heartbeat.
Old 09-09-2008, 15:38   #40
Dozer523
BANNED USER

I'd been in about 6 years.

Infantry School, A tour in Germany another school, off to Korea then told I needed some TDA time. So they offered me IMA. I'd never heard of it but I'd been to the other choice. Imagine my surprise when I found out they wer SENDING me to the Special Warfare Center! Worked there for about a year and my CSM told me I ought to change the color of my beret. So off I went!
Dozer523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 12:27   #41
Rattlerjake
Quiet Professional

Straight off the street. I was lucky, my brother-in-law was an SF SFC in the FL Reserves. When I went to the recruiter, he got them to put the BS aside and sign me straight up. Graduated SFQC 1 year to the day after signing into the reception station, and spent 22+ years with the greatest group of guys ever.
Rattlerjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 12:48   #42
cant hardly
Asset

18mos

Last edited by cant hardly; 07-26-2022 at 18:41.
cant hardly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 13:00   #43
mark46th
Quiet Professional

Hipshot- Same deal here. At Ft Ord in July of 1970, SF SFC recruiter talked to us. Basic, Commo AIT at Ft Ord, Jan 71 Jump School at Ft Benning, Feb 71 to Ft Bragg for Phase I SFTG. I met some guy there named Richard....
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 14:44   #44
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonieDiver View Post
I was a volunteer, not a draftee, but the SF recruiter got me in BCT at Ft. Lewis in Jan '70. AIT Inf at Ord, Airborne, and SF. We feared washing out and being sent not to the "Eighty-Twice," but to the "Almost Airborne"! (We had some other names for the 82nd, too.) My conventional infantry time came later, after deactivation of 8th SFGA.
It's Eighty Deuce guys!......... I won't go into my story because I know you guys have read it already.........

Big Teddy
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII

Last edited by greenberetTFS; 10-26-2011 at 14:52.
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 14:53   #45
Snaquebite
Area Commander

Drafted...approached by a SF recruiter....took all the tests/passed...discharged and then enlisted for SF...stayed for 28 years with a 4 year stint in "another"unit....

"If one day you decide to know yourself...you'll have to choose the warrior path...You'll reach the darkness of your spirit.... Then, if you overcome your fears....You will know who you are."

"De Oppresso Liber"
Snaquebite is offline   Reply With Quote