Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > 5th Special Forces Group

Old 03-03-2014, 19:13   #16
Trapper John
Quiet Professional

That sounds about par for the course. Did you guys ever have a BN of 'bodes that had been infiltrated by Khmere Rouge? The other team (A363 I think) had a new BN of 'bodes come in that had a about 50-100 Khemer Rouge. There was an incident (not sure what started it) that escalated to us in defensive positions and mortars up. Tense moments!
Old 03-04-2014, 10:41   #17
Fat Albert
Quiet Professional

I'm sure the KR infiltrated all bode units just as the VC was a part of the RF/PF. The marine bn. was all straight shooters but an airborne unit was infiltrated. We had to watch our backs constantly. Their favorite game was to sneak up form behind and hit you with a T&E mechanism. This happened to me once but I was warned by Spitfire before they got close enough to carry it out. Luckily, I left for R&R the next day. I heard of no situations like you described though we did talk about it in the team house on a few occasions. This makes me believe that the brass knew more than they were saying.
Fat Albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 11:57   #18
Trapper John
Quiet Professional

Albert-

Quote:
This makes me believe that the brass knew more than they were saying.
If you guys weren't briefed on that incident I would call that a major Command failure. I was already a bit miffed that you guys didn't know about the mines - now this! Once could be an oversight () but something as serious as KR infiltrations - that is inexcusable.

BTW did you know a SGT Wambaugh on A362? He came into camp just prior to Tedrick.
Old 03-04-2014, 14:02   #19
Fat Albert
Quiet Professional

Trapper,

The name is very familiar but I can't put a face to it. It's been 42 years and I'm getting old...lol. He wasn't on my team but he was at Long Hai IIRC but I don't know what team. I think he was an E-6 and worked in the south part of the camp.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:19   #20
Dean Jarvis
Quiet Professional

Trapper, this is Short Round. I was on team A-363 between Aug. 71 to April 72. We shared the south compound with your team. Not sure if you remember me. I recall your team came back from the bush once with a baby deer. I don't think it lived long.

I had my company out on our training range one night for a practice RON prior to going to the bush. We saw some gooks coming down the mountian with flashlights (if you can belive that!). We fired off the few 60mm mortar rounds we had then I called in the 4 duece mortar from camp. I had just bracketed these bad boys when all hell broke loose on the outpost. So they shifted fire to support the outpost and my gooks got away. I was under the understanding that my team seargant Pappy Webb had shot up the outpost all by himself. He hated ARVN'S. Was this the same outpost attack you're referring to?

Do you remember Kim? She was a Cambodian that I believe helped you with sick call. She married a Marine and is living in Illinois. She called me many many moons ago to let me know where she landed and told me that your old team leader had killed himself. Can't remember his name.

Anyway, I just hooked up on this website this week after I came across it and saw you were still alive and kicking.

Last edited by Dean Jarvis; 07-09-2019 at 05:15.
Dean Jarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 11:26   #21
Trapper John
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Jarvis View Post
Trapper, this is Short Round. I was on team A-363 between Aug. 71 to April 72. We shared the south compound with your team. Not sure if you remember me. I recall your team came back from the bush once with a baby deer. I don't think it lived long.

I had my company out on our training range one night for a practice RON prior to going to the bush. We saw some gooks coming down the mountian with flashlights (if you can belive that!). We fired off the few 60mm mortar rounds we had then I called in the 4 duece mortar from camp. I had just bracketed these bad boys when all hell broke loose on the outpost. So they shiffed fire to support the outpost and my gooks got away. I was under the understanding that my team seargant Pappy Webb had shot up the outpost all by himself. He hated ARVIN'S. Was this the same outpost attack you're referring to?

Do you remember Kim? She was a Cambodian that I believe helped you with sick call. She married a Marine and is living in Illinois. She called me many many moons ago to let me know where she landed and told me that your old team leader had killed himself. Can't remember his name.

Anyway, I just hooked up on this website this week after I came across it and saw you were still alive and kicking.
Short Round- I do remember you! Damn, this is getting to be old home week around here.

Before I go on in reply, I suggest you post your bio in the Introduction thread before one of the Moderators or Admins catch up to you, and they will. You don't want the FTFSI moniker. Also, get your DD214 etc together and send it to one of the Admins and request vetting as a QP (you too Fat Albert). I'll vouch for you guys. I bet Fat Albert remembers you too.

Now to your post. Of course I remember Kim Simon. I have a pic somewhere with her and our team in front of the team house. If you can find an address or email or phone number I'd love to get in touch with her again. Send that to me in a PM if you have the info.

I am shocked and saddened with news about CPT Larry Cano (RIP Brother).

The picture I posted in post #5 you will recognize some of those mugs. Pappy Webb is on the back row, right. Mike Chappel sent me that pic, you may remember him too (pic attached).

I recall the incident with you outside the wire. I just remember another long night on the perimeter wall. Not sure what the kerfuffle was with the RF/PF outpost, but I think Pappy was involved. Enemy activity in area was on the uptick about that time and the incident I described was a few weeks or maybe a month or two later. I think that was the same one that Fat Albert was referencing where they got ambushed. The one I was referring was about 5K from Phuc Tuoy.

Did you meet Maggie and George Peppard when they came to camp? I think it was around Thanksgiving. I was taking my 'bodes out that night for extra security. She came by especially to see us and thank me with a big hug. I'll never forget that - one helluva a great lady (RIP Maggie)!

Welcome aboard Brother!

And don't forget that Introduction post!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mike Chapell.jpg (51.9 KB, 161 views)

Last edited by Trapper John; 03-27-2014 at 11:53. Reason: Added clarification
Trapper John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 11:28   #22
Trapper John
Quiet Professional

Quote:

I had my company out on our training range one night for a practice RON prior to going to the bush. We saw some gooks coming down the mountian with flashlights (if you can belive that!). We fired off the few 60mm mortar rounds we had then I called in the 4 duece mortar from camp. I had just bracketed these bad boys when all hell broke loose on the outpost. So they shiffed fire to support the outpost and my gooks got away. I was under the understanding that my team seargant Pappy Webb had shot up the outpost all by himself. He hated ARVIN'S. Was this the same outpost attack you're referring to?

Oh, and as to that dear. Well, the 'bodes ate it!.
Old 03-28-2014, 06:08   #23
Dean Jarvis
Quiet Professional

I'm a newbe at this, so be patient with me as I go through my learning curve to navigate this web site. I'll take your advice and send in the DD214 and I'll post some pics I have.

Where do I go to find the pictures of Pappy Web?

Maggie flew out to visit us in the filed on Christmas day '71. We were in a real hot area (got my CIB on that trip) and we had captured a VC and had him tied up. As I was walking Maggie to my hooch to talk she asked me about him. I told her intelligence said he had been capture 2 other times. So Maggie said that's two to many. I took that as a suggestion to execute him. An Air America chopper came in and picked him up. She broght us a fruit cake. I understood she was drinking everyone back at Long Hai under the table. She was a great American.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MR.JPG (75.2 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Air America.jpg (38.3 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Maggie.jpg (52.5 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by Dean Jarvis; 07-07-2019 at 07:32.
Old 03-28-2014, 06:51   #24
Fat Albert
Quiet Professional

Dean,

Glad to see that you found us! I was at Xuyen Moc from January 72 to April 72 so I'm not sure our paths crossed. With that said, I can't keep my grandkids' names straight either...lol.

Trapper, who and where do I send my 214 and I've already been vetted more than the POTUS.
Old 03-28-2014, 07:32   #25
Dean Jarvis
Quiet Professional

Albert,

Xuyen Moc was our radio relay site we went past every time we went to the filed. Do you remember a guy by the name of Jutras? We had intelligence that Xuyen Moc was gonig to be hit and they asked for volunteers to go out there as added security. Jutras would go out there for about a week and nothing would happen. As soon as he returned to B-36 you guys would get attacked. He did this 2 or 3 times. The gooks must have known when bad boy Jutras was out there because he never saw any action and was pretty pissed off about it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jutras.jpg (42.0 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by Dean Jarvis; 07-07-2019 at 07:11.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:44   #26
Fat Albert
Quiet Professional

Dean,

I remember him very well. The VC hit us a few times but stopped after they mortared their assault team...lol. Now that's the way to fight a war.

I have some 8mm film with Jutras in it. I'm going to have it changed to CD and I'll send you a copy when it happens.

Last edited by Fat Albert; 03-28-2014 at 09:49.
Old 03-29-2014, 07:06   #27
Dean Jarvis
Quiet Professional

I've attached a pictures of me during a Bode graduation ceremony taken by a UPI reporter. He gave it to our camp commander, McClain? who wrote on it with a grease pencil "get a haircut" then gave it to my team CO.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg UPI Photo 1971.JPG (58.7 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by Dean Jarvis; 07-06-2019 at 18:07.
Old 03-29-2014, 10:08   #28
Ambush Master
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapper John View Post
Short Round- I do remember you! Damn, this is getting to be old home week around here.

Before I go on in reply, I suggest you post your bio in the Introduction thread before one of the Moderators or Admins catch up to you, and they will. You don't want the FTFSI moniker. Also, get your DD214 etc together and send it to one of the Admins and request vetting as a QP (you too Fat Albert). I'll vouch for you guys. I bet Fat Albert remembers you too.

Now to your post. Of course I remember Kim Simon. I have a pic somewhere with her and our team in front of the team house. If you can find an address or email or phone number I'd love to get in touch with her again. Send that to me in a PM if you have the info.

I am shocked and saddened with news about CPT Larry Cano (RIP Brother).

The picture I posted in post #5 you will recognize some of those mugs. Pappy Webb is on the back row, right. Mike Chappel sent me that pic, you may remember him too (pic attached).

I recall the incident with you outside the wire. I just remember another long night on the perimeter wall. Not sure what the kerfuffle was with the RF/PF outpost, but I think Pappy was involved. Enemy activity in area was on the uptick about that time and the incident I described was a few weeks or maybe a month or two later. I think that was the same one that Fat Albert was referencing where they got ambushed. The one I was referring was about 5K from Phuc Tuoy.

Did you meet Maggie and George Peppard when they came to camp? I think it was around Thanksgiving. I was taking my 'bodes out that night for extra security. She came by especially to see us and thank me with a big hug. I'll never forget that - one helluva a great lady (RIP Maggie)!

Welcome aboard Brother!

And don't forget that Introduction post!!
TJ,
Please make commo, preferably voice or Face to Face, with these 2 Folks and Verify that they are who they claim!!

Dean,
I moved your 214 to an area that can only be observed by QPs, PerSec!!

Later
Martin
Old 03-30-2014, 07:28   #29
Trapper John
Quiet Professional

Quote:
I've attached some pictures of Maggie when she came out to the filed on Christmas day '71 and Jutras. The other picture is the Air America chopper that picked up our POW and a pic of me during a Bode graduation ceremony taken by a UPI reporter. He gave it to our camp commander, McClain? who wrote on it with a grease pencil "get a haircut" then gave it to my team CO.
Yep, that's right it was Christmas when Maggie visited.....and yes she did drink MAJ Lane under the table. I think he was still camp commander and the story I heard was that he made a complete ass of himself that night. You must have been outside the camp too with your 'bodes. I vaguely remember the new camp commander coming in about that time (might have been McClain). Lane was still there for a week or two after the change of command. Lane and Arlinsky (XO) were in the pic I posted with post #5 in this thread. They are squatting front row and Lane is petting JJ. The pic I have with our team (A362) and Kim Simon has JJ in it too. I'll find that pic and post it.
Old 04-02-2014, 06:28   #30
Dean Jarvis
Quiet Professional

TJ

Here's a few more pics. You may recognize some of the people. The Tank hit a mine on one of our training ranges. I'm thinking I should have gotten the Darwin award for walking around it taking pictures. Who know's there might have been some AP mines around.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg villagers.jpg (62.7 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0490.jpg (32.9 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by Dean Jarvis; 07-07-2019 at 07:25.