Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > 5th Special Forces Group

Old 11-16-2012, 07:20   #1
Richard
Quiet Professional

John F. Campbell - FORSCOM CDR Nominee

An alumnus of "The Legion"...

Richard

LTG John F. Campbell Nominated For FORSCOM Commander

Lt. Gen. John F. Campbell has been nominated to replace Gen. David M. Rodriguez as the head of Forces Command, the Pentagon announced Thursday.

The nomination by President Obama, which is subject to Senate approval, includes a fourth star for Campbell.

Campbell is the Army's deputy chief of staff for operations at the Pentagon. The Senate has approved the nomination of Maj. Gen. Jim Huggins, former commander of the 82nd Airborne Division, to replace Campbell at the Pentagon.

Campbell commanded the 1st Brigade of the 82nd Airborne Division from 2001 to 2003 and took the brigade to Afghanistan. He was aide-de-camp to the commander of Fort Bragg and the 18th Airborne Corps in the mid-1990s.

Rodriguez has been nominated to become the leader of U.S. Africa Command, which is based in Germany. He has been commander of Forces Command since September 2011.

Forces Command is the Army's largest command and oversees the training of about 700,000 troops based in the continental United States.

The four-star commander of Forces Command is the highest-ranking officer on Fort Bragg, but the three-star 18th Airborne Corps commander remains responsible for the installation.

Campbell graduated from West Point in 1979 as an infantry officer. He attended the Special Forces Qualification Course at Fort Bragg from 1983 to 1984 and served for the following two years in the 5th Special Forces Group at Fort Bragg.

Campbell commanded a company and was division air operations officer in the 82nd Airborne Division.

After brigade command, he was executive officer to Gen. Peter J. Schoomaker, the Army chief of staff.

As a one-star general, he served as deputy commanding general for maneuver of the 1st Cavalry Division and deployed to Iraq.

He commanded the 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault) at Fort Campbell, Ky., from 2009 to 2011. During that time, he spent a year as commander of Joint Task Force 101 in Afghanistan.

Campbell is married and has two children.

http://www.fayobserver.com/articles/...ac=fo.military
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:21   #2
MR2
Quiet Professional

Did he join the Regiment? i.e. is he an 18A?

It's Never Crowded Along the Extra Mile - Wayne Dyer

WOKE = Willfully Overlooking Known Evil
MR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:12   #3
Last hard class
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR2 View Post
Did he join the Regiment? i.e. is he an 18A?
Yes and yes.

Had a team in 1st Bn.

LHC
Old 11-16-2012, 16:53   #4
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last hard class View Post
Yes and yes.

Had a team in 1st Bn.

LHC
No he did not Join the Regiment in my view.

He is SF qualified but when we changed to a Branch he opted out and stayed Infantry. A friend of his told me back then that he thought he had more opportunities in the Infantry.

He does wear the Long tab but has never been an 18A
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 17:03   #5
Dozer523
BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF_BHT View Post
He is SF qualified but when we changed to a Branch he opted out and stayed Infantry. A friend of his told me back then that he thought he had more opportunities in the Infantry.
so THAT explains the stars. (If I'd known then what I. . . no regrets, here.
Dozer523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 00:00   #6
MR2
Quiet Professional

You makes the bed you sleep in.

It's Never Crowded Along the Extra Mile - Wayne Dyer

WOKE = Willfully Overlooking Known Evil
MR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:29   #7
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR2 View Post
You makes the bed you sleep in.
Tactical decision at the time that looks like it paid off. He had stars in his eyes and made it. Each to their own.....
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 20:34   #8
fasteddie565
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last hard class View Post
Yes and yes.

Had a team in 1st Bn.

LHC
No, he elected to stay Infantry, he did command 515 for a while.

He made it very clear to everyone that he was an above enter of mass guy. He was the Adjutant of 1st Bn when I got there. I later put him through pre-scuba and he failed. I had to go see the Bn XO who asked me if the salinity of the water was the same as Key West. I guess I fucked up when I said Sir, I know you are trying to sound intelligent, but, well you are not. Anyway, many people were very upset over John's failure. He soon decided to move back to the Infantry.

FWIW, I put LTG Mulholland through Pre scuba as well, he didn't make it either, and he did all right for himself. For that matter, I put Frank Tony through PS as well. A lot of good all that combat diveredness did for me, Hah.

Last edited by fasteddie565; 02-09-2013 at 20:37.
fasteddie565 is offline   Reply With Quote