Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Soapbox

Old 11-26-2016, 02:43   #1
Trapper John
Quiet Professional

Election Highlights Economic Divide

This morning I read a front page piece "Election exposes a wealth divide" in the Philadelphia Inquirer from a Brookings Institute analysis of the election results:

"The divide is economic, and it is massive. According to the Brookings analysis, the less-than-500 counties that Clinton won nationwide combined to generate 64 percent of America's economic activity in 2015. The more-than-2,600 counties that Trump won combined to generate 36 percent of the country's economic activity last year."

So what does this analysis say? Is there an economic divide (haves and have-nots) driving the electorate? It would appear not. The uber-economic counties around Dallas-Ft Worth, Phoenix, and a large swath of Long Island did not go for Clinton.

I suspect that this analysis falls into the category of "true-true but unrelated" and strongly suspect that something else is at work here.

What say ya'll?
Old 11-26-2016, 06:26   #2
Divemaster
Quiet Professional

They must have gotten this backwards. Remember, Republicans are the party of the rich. That's been drummed into my head for decades.
Old 11-26-2016, 07:30   #3
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

At this point, what difference does it make? She got trumped, however you break it down.
My concern is whether she and her boss will face justice re: Benghazi.

Not meaning to be offhanded or disrespectful to your post; I just couldn't care less about how she was kept out of office.
Old 11-26-2016, 07:59   #4
LarryW
Area Commander

The devil's in the details. What do they mean by "economic activity"? Consumer spending, price indices, manufacturing, employment, etc?
LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 08:45   #5
Old Dog New Trick
Quiet Professional

Not going to say there isn't welfare and massive subsidies in the red counties because there is but, the majority of blue counties in the electoral map don't produce shit. (Well, actually that may be all they produce.)

I'm clearly living in a democratic utopia (greater Seattle area) and the hardworking folks I know voted for Trump. We are just a minority. In fact I believe the middle to upper class daily grind folks are the minority supporters of the majority of voters.

So much for the XV and XXIV Amendments.

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” (Sir Edmund Burke)

Last edited by Old Dog New Trick; 11-26-2016 at 08:59.
Old Dog New Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 08:47   #6
Paslode
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brush Okie View Post
She is not down for the count yet. They are trying recount in key states Trump won and yelling voter fraud. I guess Soros is pissed

Hopefully Trump can continue to fight the Clinton machine, they have had near 20 days to doctor the votes like they did for Al Franken.
Old 11-26-2016, 09:41   #7
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional

Quote:
She is not down for the count yet. They are trying recount in key states Trump won and yelling voter fraud. I guess Soros is pissed
Don't have a good feeling about this. There has been enough time to get to the right people and have recount fraud easily. Everybody watches the vote for fraud. Who watches the recount?

James Madison
Ret10Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 10:46   #8
Trapper John
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
At this point, what difference does it make? She got trumped, however you break it down.
My concern is whether she and her boss will face justice re: Benghazi.

Not meaning to be offhanded or disrespectful to your post; I just couldn't care less about how she was kept out of office.
No disrespect Dusty, could not agree more with your sentiment.

I am just curious as to how Libthink views the outcome. So far I am seeing a lot of denial and micro-analysis of false metrics with a double down on identity politics. One or two exceptions - Elsewhere I mentioned the politics editor for the Hollywood Reporter and more recently David Brooks for the NYT.

It's always a good idea to keep tabs on the oppositions thinking.
Old 11-26-2016, 10:51   #9
Trapper John
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryW View Post
The devil's in the details. What do they mean by "economic activity"? Consumer spending, price indices, manufacturing, employment, etc?
Later in the article they equated "economic activity" with GDP.
Old 11-26-2016, 11:53   #10
Paslode
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret10Echo View Post
Don't have a good feeling about this. There has been enough time to get to the right people and have recount fraud easily. Everybody watches the vote for fraud. Who watches the recount?
On top of that there is an massive assault on sites like Drudge and Breitbart labeling them as Fake News. And the Clintons and the media started the meme about Russian influence long before Nov 8 and have ramped that up several notches.

It all leadds to delegitimizing Trump and the intial election results.
Old 11-26-2016, 12:41   #11
Old Dog New Trick
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapper John View Post
Later in the article they equated "economic activity" with GDP.
I think the question of 'economic activity' in the metric of election distribution has to come down to the "makers" and the "takers."

Just as a parasite requiring a host to live and multiply and reinfect a new host, when or if the parasite kills the host it too will die. When it has killed the last host it will have killed itself.

The GDP is a monetary measurement of all goods and services "produced" by a nation over a given period. It's the 'host' while wealth distribution (GDP per capita) is the 'parasite' ("takers") sucking the life out of the "makers" eventually the host will die or become a 'taker' too.

Trump promised to make more makers which is what made/makes this country great. People actually do want to work and make a better life for themselves and their family.

Clinton made promises to give the takers more. The takers currently outnumber the makers and have never actually participated in the process of making - anything but another taker.

While they may be unhappy with the results they will ultimately be better off - at least for awhile longer. If the election is changed now at this point and before Trump is sworn in and assumes office...things are only going to go from mild disappointment to wild speculation on the future of America.

Part of me is hoping for the latter.

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” (Sir Edmund Burke)
Old Dog New Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 14:28   #12
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Alot of people are pi$$ed. Voter fraud? This is the party that fought Voter ID with bayonets because "it disadvantages a few* and there's no indication of voter fraud nationally to justify it."

* = the lazy & disinterested who won't get a free state-issued ID and pick up the phone for a free-shit ride to the polls. These are the targets of "we'll register you today, sign your affidavit, and take you there & back. Just vote Blue. Did you get your new Obamaphone?"

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 02:00   #13
Trapper John
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dog New Trick View Post
I think the question of 'economic activity' in the metric of election distribution has to come down to the "makers" and the "takers."

Just as a parasite requiring a host to live and multiply and reinfect a new host, when or if the parasite kills the host it too will die. When it has killed the last host it will have killed itself.

The GDP is a monetary measurement of all goods and services "produced" by a nation over a given period. It's the 'host' while wealth distribution (GDP per capita) is the 'parasite' ("takers") sucking the life out of the "makers" eventually the host will die or become a 'taker' too.

Trump promised to make more makers which is what made/makes this country great. People actually do want to work and make a better life for themselves and their family.

Clinton made promises to give the takers more. The takers currently outnumber the makers and have never actually participated in the process of making - anything but another taker.

While they may be unhappy with the results they will ultimately be better off - at least for awhile longer. If the election is changed now at this point and before Trump is sworn in and assumes office...things are only going to go from mild disappointment to wild speculation on the future of America.

Part of me is hoping for the latter.
Good analysis ODT! As to the recount, HRC has joined in support of the effort and I smell George Soros all over this. My fear is that Ret10Echo is correct and you may realize the latter.

Stay Frosty my friends! (Read locked and loaded)
Old 11-27-2016, 03:36   #14
JimP
Quiet Professional

It's a bunch of bullshit. Just overlay the national crime map with her voting districts and they align perfectly. They may generate "some" wealth, but they also cost the Nation far in excess of whatever the hell the little nancy-boy, pajama-and-cocoa swilling metrosexuals produce.

You could just take the districts/counties she won and wall them off and watch the productivity of the country skyrocket while the crime rate plummets.
JimP is offline   Reply With Quote