Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Soapbox

Old 11-13-2016, 10:35   #31
Divemaster
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
I should enroll in another "college" sociology course when I get back.
They hated me in mine. Lucky for them it was all online.

However, I do think sociology text books should be required reading for conservatives, especially those who don't understand the enemy, or whose understanding comes from only reading and listening to other conservatives. This is where you learn that "class struggle" is actually, for lack of a better term, a branch of sociology, and that Karl Marx is one of sociology's revered founding fathers.
Old 11-13-2016, 10:58   #32
Divemaster
Quiet Professional

In the vein of my post above, I believe people opposed to progressivism should undertake a study of the other side. SF guys already know this as we've always sought knowledge. Finding copies of Marx or Mao or Alinsky in an SF vet's personal library is not unusual.

As good starting point I would recommend reading Radical Son: A Generational Odyssey by David Horowitz. Also, one should be a frequent visitor to progressive websites and blogs. They are treasure troves of insight into how they think. A good example is this little gem from last year on salon.com:

http://bit.ly/2fKIk9j

TUESDAY, APR 28, 2015 02:15 PM PDT

Baltimore’s violent protesters are right: Smashing police cars is a legitimate political strategy

It's crucial to see non-violence as a tactic, not a philosophy. If it fails to win people over it's a futile tactic
BENJI HART

As a nation, we fail to comprehend Black political strategy in much the same way we fail to recognize the value of Black life.

We see ghettos and crime and absent parents where we should see communities actively struggling against mental health crises and premeditated economic exploitation. And when we see police cars being smashed and corporate property being destroyed, we should see reasonable responses to generations of extreme state violence, and logical decisions about what kind of actions yield the desired political results.

I’m overwhelmed by the pervasive slandering of protesters in Baltimore this weekend for not remaining peaceful. The bad-apple rhetoric would have us believe that most Baltimore protesters are demonstrating the right way—as is their constitutional right—and only a few are disrupting the peace, giving the movement a bad name.

This spin should be disregarded, first because of the virtual media blackout of any of the action happening on the ground, particularly over the weekend. Equally, it makes no sense to cite the Constitution in any demonstration for Black civil rights (that document was not written about us, remember?), but certainly not one organized specifically to call attention to the fact that the state breaks its own laws with regard to the oppressed on a nearly constant basis.

But there is an even bigger problem. Referring to Black Lives Matter protests, as well as organic responses to police and state violence as “non-violent” or “peaceful” erases the actual climate in which these movements are acting, the militant strategies that have rendered them effective, and the long history of riots and direct action on which they are built.

I do not advocate non-violence—particularly in a moment like the one we currently face. In the spirit and words of militant Black and Brown feminist movements from around the globe, I believe it is crucial that we see non-violence as a tactic, not a philosophy.

Non-violence is a type of political performance designed to raise awareness and win over sympathy of those with privilege. When those on the outside of struggle—the white, the wealthy, the straight, the able-bodied, the masculine—have demonstrated repeatedly that they do not care, are not invested, are not going to step in the line of fire to defend the oppressed, this is a futile political strategy. It not only fails to meet the needs of the community, but actually puts oppressed people in further danger of violence.

Militance is about direct action which defends our communities from violence. It is about responses which meet the political goals of our communities in the moment, and deal with the repercussions as they come. It is about saying no, firmly drawing and holding boundaries, demanding the return of stolen resources. And from Queer Liberation and Black Power to centuries-old movements for Native sovereignty and anti-colonialism, it is how virtually all of our oppressed movements were sparked, and has arguably gained us the only real political victories we’ve had under the rule of empire.

We need to clarify what we mean by terms like “violence” and “peaceful.” Because, to be clear, violence is beating, harassing, tazing, assaulting and shooting Black, trans, immigrant, women, and queer people, and that is the reality many of us are dealing with daily. Telling someone to be peaceful and shaming their militance not only lacks a nuanced and historical political understanding, it is literally a deadly and irresponsible demand.

The political goals of rioters in Baltimore are not unclear—just as they were not unclear when poor, Black people rioted in Ferguson last fall. When the free market, real estate, the elected government, the legal system have all shown you they are not going to protect you—in fact, that they are the sources of the greatest violence you face—then political action becomes about stopping the machine that is trying to kill you, even if only for a moment, getting the boot off your neck, even if it only allows you a second of air. This is exactly what blocking off streets, disrupting white consumerism, and destroying state property are designed to do.

Black people know this, and have employed these tactics for a very, very long time. Calling them uncivilized, and encouraging them to mind the Constitution is racist, and as an argument fails to ground itself not only in the violent political reality in which Black people find themselves, but also in our centuries-long tradition of resistance, one that has taught effective strategies for militance and direct action to virtually every other current movement for justice.

And while I don’t believe that every protester involved in attacking police cars and corporate storefronts had the same philosophy, or did what they did for the same reasons, it cannot be discounted that when there is a larger national outcry in defense of plate-glass windows and car doors than for Black young people, a point is being made. When there is more concern for white sports fans in the vicinity of a riot than the Black people facing off with police, there is mounting justification for the rage and pain of Black communities in this country.

Acknowledging all of this, I do think events this weekend in Baltimore raise important questions for future direct and militant action in all of our movements. In addition to articulating our goals, crafting our messaging and type of action, we need to think carefully about what the longer term results of militant action might potentially be. Strategies I might suggest, and important questions I think we should try and answer as we plan or find ourselves involved in political actions are these:

-Are we harming state and private property, or are we harming people, communities and natural resources? Is the result of our action disrupting state and corporate violence, or creating collateral damage that more oppressed people will have to deal with (i.e., Black families and business owners, cleaning staff, etc.)? Are we mimicking state violence by harming people and the environment, or are we harming state property in ways that can stop or slow violence? Are we demonizing systems or people?

-Who is in the vicinity? Are we doing harm to people around us as we act? Is there a possibility of violence for those who are not the intended targets of our action? Are we forcing people to be involved in an action who many not want to be, or who are not ready?

-Who is involved in the action? Are people involved in our action consensually, or simply because they are in the vicinity? Have we created ways for people of all abilities who may not want to be present to leave? Are we being strategic about location and placement of bodies? If there are violent repercussions for our actions, who will be facing them?

We should attempt to answer as many of these questions as possible before action occurs, in the planning stages if possible. We also need backup plans and options for changing our actions in the moment if any of the agreed-upon conditions are not the same when it comes time to act.

I rolled my eyes when inquiries in Ferguson “shockingly” revealed racist emails sent throughout local government, including higher-ups in the Police Department. I think many of us knew the inquiry of virtually any police department would yield almost identical findings. The riots in Baltimore have many drawing parallels between policy and conduct in both cities now. What kind of action brought to light for the less affected what Black people have always known? What kinds of actions will it take to make it widely understood that all policing is racist terror, and justice can only come with its permanent abolition?

Black power, Queer power, power to Baltimore, and to all oppressed people who know what time it is.
Old 11-13-2016, 11:09   #33
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

"You don't like a particular policy or a particular president? Then argue for your position. Go out there and win an election. Push to change it. But don't break it. Don't break what our predecessors spent over two centuries building. That's not being faithful to what this country's about."

President Barrack Obama, 2013

Apparently, the Dims didn't get the memo this time.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 11:10   #34
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbtengr View Post
I'll meet you in Madison if you will meet me in Iowa City.
Can't we just nuke 'em from orbit?

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 11:11   #35
Divemaster
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
"You don't like a particular policy or a particular president? Then argue for your position. Go out there and win an election. Push to change it. But don't break it. Don't break what our predecessors spent over two centuries building. That's not being faithful to what this country's about."

TR
Why should they. They know Obama doesn't believe it either.
Old 11-13-2016, 12:09   #36
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:

TR
Oooooh,, I was told to delete that email??

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 02:54   #37
bblhead672
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF0 View Post
More often than not, children are taught democracy this, democracy that. When was the last time you heard a teen or young adult speak of our "constitutional republic"?
Our elected representatives in Washington and other places rarely, if ever, use the term constitutional republic.
“Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.”

--Thomas Jefferson
bblhead672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 12:05   #38
WarriorDiplomat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblhead672 View Post
Our elected representatives in Washington and other places rarely, if ever, use the term constitutional republic.
Whatever they teach in Government class which was when I went to school was about the constitutional republic that was protected from mob rule by electing representatives is completely undone by social studies classes and related courses. I have seen the popular vote being used as proof that our system is broken that the electoral college is null and void of legitimacy. I saw this as a setup to gain popular support to eliminate the electoral college. I think to the papers I wrote about the Federalists papers which I thought made the purpose clear for representative government by reducing and eliminate consolidation of like minded people in an attempt to consolidate power. Liberals are perfectly fine with consolidation of power being contained in a few states like New York, California, Illinois, Florida and a few others where the population is huge they are equally ignorant. I have been mulling the succession movements and have come to a conclusive recommendation for any liberal come across and that is move to Canada another liberal country who is already where they really want to be. I cannot stand white liberals spewing hatred against white people they hate the color of their own skin and people like Van Jones is screaming how this is whitelash but no mention of the majority vote us bigots are the deplorables Hillary referenced.

I am watching the "house of representatives" channel where the current POTUS is lecturing us the stupid citizens. I am surprised at how delusional he is about his policies and his reasoning he has spent the last 45 minutes talking up his policies in a sense defending his presidency. The fruits of his Presidency are clear hatred, racism, anti-law, irrational reactions.....the POTUS has carried himself like a chosen disciple of social justice and reality and truth be damned. Many of the liberals have built an imaginary world of slights and hatred they perceive towards themselves like teenagers with dramatic tendencies, this is what I declare as the worst POTUS in history worse than Carter.

We nearly lost the home of the free to a lying, psychotic traitor to America in Clinton she should be held accountable and the Clinton foundation exposed. Obama is what the communist call a useful idiot, as elegant as he speaks I feel he was intellectually in over his head surrounded by Clinton cronies. While Obama was fighting for social justice because after all being the most powerful man in the world wasn't enough for a minority he worked on destroying America Hillary was selling influence unbridled corruption.

Moving forward means we need to push the new POTUS to finish off the Clintons and expose the corruption. We can not forget allowing her to get off is not deterring further corruption and more importantly the Benghazi and the bigger Arab spring. The policies put forth damaged our status, bent the arms of Europe into accepting both the Muslim savages and the liberal policies the U.S. has pushed onto our own country. 8 years of Hillary with our dilapidated military men women and technology the free world may have been lost to the wolves in Russia, China, N. Korea and Iran. Seeing the degradation of our military has me convinced that we would never have beaten a near peer in ground warfare.

We can't let our defenses down now
Old 11-14-2016, 13:16   #39
Box
Quiet Professional

Quote:

TR
Hypocrites don't read memos.

...dont start ordering party supplies just yet. clint0n cash could still be used to buy off 40-50 electoral votes.
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

"Make sure your own mask is secure before assisting others"
-Airplane Safety Briefing

Last edited by Box; 11-14-2016 at 13:20.
Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 13:19   #40
cbtengr
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brush Okie View Post
Ms. Okies son is staying with us while he gets his masters and teaching certification. His last class? White privilege. His take, it does not exist and his paper will be on how it does NOT exist. He will be teaching kids in the near future if he passes this class. Nice to know not all academics are left wing hippie liberals is it not.
I hope that his paper is accepted and his thoughts are respected. He is not attending Berkeley University is he ?
Old 11-14-2016, 13:37   #41
WarriorDiplomat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Ms. Okies son is staying with us while he gets his masters and teaching certification. His last class? White privilege. His take, it does not exist and his paper will be on how it does NOT exist. He will be teaching kids in the near future if he passes this class. Nice to know not all academics are left wing hippie liberals is it not.
Good for him I hope he has a good GPA going into it. I wonder how many students especially older ones were harassed and terrorized into silence about support for conservative principles. I have made the assumption that online DL has gotten bigger because of the liberal brainwashing and anti white sentiment and even then it is hard to avoid racial/social politics. If the stupid uneducated whites who voted Trump in are uneducated its because colleges are inhospitable for white people....to go back to my first statement any minority who is conservative is shamed, attacked and humiliated into silence as well.
Old 11-14-2016, 16:14   #42
sfshooter
Quiet Professional

Quote:
I agree 100% however I doubt it will happen. The Klintons are not stupid. Evil and corrupt yes, stupid no. They have kept out of jail this long so they know how to cover their tracks.They probably have enough dirt on the Washington folks that no one will really go after them.

Trump can not do that alone. Congress or a federal agency will have to do that and again they know so much about so many influancial people the FBI would probably be stopped first.

I forsee more sudden deaths by accident, suicide and heart attacks around Clinton friends and associates in the near future.
I definitely agree. Those of us old enough know what has happened when cracks started appearing around Clinton scandals in the past.
Hell, my high schooler came home some months ago and asked me if I knew that there were 30 some odd people associated with Hillary who had all died somewhat mysteriously.
I guess the new Government teacher has been stepping outside of Common Core from time to time.

Living in a rural community has its perks sometimes

"I ask you sir, who are the militia? They consist now of the whole people........" George Mason
sfshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 16:16   #43
sfshooter
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Glad to hear there are still more good teachers to come. Lord knows our youth need it. Good luck to him and tell him to hold the line.

"I ask you sir, who are the militia? They consist now of the whole people........" George Mason
sfshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 16:42   #44
Divemaster
Quiet Professional

Quote:
So does his mother. He is going to a private college in Olympia. If not I will go to the deans office with him.
Gotta be St. Martin's. He'd already be lynched at Evergreen (which is a public college).
Old 11-14-2016, 22:29   #45
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

I know one thing-across the board. The concept of honor is disappearing.