Old 02-06-2014, 23:57   #1
rojoAZ
Asset

Headlamps

Hello all, im in the market for a new headlamp and I am looking for some suggestions. I have had great luck with petzl in the past, any other brands out there worth looking into?

yes-i did use the search function, the last thread was back in 2010, maybe tech has changed...
rojoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 21:12   #2
P-Squared
Asset

I've had good luck with FenixGear and 4Sevens. Fenix seems to be a bit heavier, but on the other side of the equation, the 4Sevens is lighter and still solid.
P-Squared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 00:30   #3
chuckn0rr1s
Asset

Head lamp

I'm a mechanic and I use a head lamp almost all day long. I have a Black Diamond Spot. its not heavy and I barely notice that its still there sometimes. It works great and is very bright. Petzl, LED Lenser, Coastal, all have good head lamps.

My only regret is since I use mine all day long I go through a lot of batteries so I would suggest a rechargeable one or you can purchase rechargeable batteries which i have yet to do.
chuckn0rr1s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:44   #4
Mills
Quiet Professional

Petzel +1

I have 2 that have lasted me 5 years or so.

The Black Diamond that I have works fine, but the band on it is hot garbage. It is all stretched out after a year of use.
Mills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 13:36   #5
greentick
Quiet Professional

Add Princetontec to your list. Most (if not all) of their headlamps are made in the USA, if that matters to you.

I don't know your preferences with strap routing, I just like the headband style. Read teh spec tho, some of their lines are not waterproof. The EOS and Quad (both have tacticool models as well) are waterproof. I've used an EOS for years as my hiking headlamp in all wx conditions from just above zero and up. They are prettly lightweight but if you use lithium AAAs there is a noticable difference.

Plug: Sierra Trading Post alway has them. If you join their "gearmail" or "dealflyer" they run ~30% off sales frequently.
Old 05-30-2014, 11:31   #6
cbkb98
Asset

I always go cheap with headlamps. Energizer at Wal-Mart. $12-$13, 3 AAA batteries. LED and Red. Waterproof for that evening hunt in WA state trying to find your way back to camp. I've had 2 in the past 10 yrs. Cant go wrong
cbkb98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 21:19   #7
USAPatriot
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by greentick View Post
Add Princeton Tec to your list. Most (if not all) of their headlamps are made in the USA, if that matters to you.
  • Princeton Tec (19 models, made in USA)
  • Petzl (14 models, made in France)
  • Black Diamond (12 models)
Those are the Big 3 makers & many models are under $50. The Surefire Minimus (4 models) & Maximus (2 models) are high end tactical lights. And there are lots of other good headlamps available so there's something for any job you have.

Warranties vary by maker & model, anywhere from 1-year to lifetime. Some will withstand immersion in water (look for O-ring or gasketed sealing surfaces) others are water resistant.

Most headlamps run LEDs that provide longer runtimes than those using incan bulbs. The biggest complaint about LEDs, whether in headlamps, hand held flashlights or weapon lights is that color rendering is poor.

Something really important is the UI (User Interface). Headlamps that do a dozen different tricks often use a UI that's either confusing or challenging to learn. The Petzl website shows videos of each model & explains the UI - they looked complex to me but may suit you just fine.

Power source is another key point - some run AA, others AAA, a few use CR123 (as used in Surefire lights). Weight varies widely among different brands & models. Most use an elastic head strap but some can be detached from the strap & adapted to helmet or MOLLE mount. It's impossible to recommend a particular brand or model without knowing the 'must have' features & your operational needs.

Quote:
... I use mine all day long I go through a lot of batteries so I would suggest a rechargeable one or you can purchase rechargeable batteries ...
Some makers offer rechargeable versions using their own proprietary battery pack. Before purchasing one check on the cost of a replacement pack since it may be really high.

Many (but not all) headlamps accept AA & AAA rechargeable cells. Most cells are rated for at least 500 charges & some claim double or triple that number. Buying a charger is a one-time investment costing roughly $25-$50 and some chargers handle a huge range of cells (AA, AAA, AAAA, 18650, 17500, 16340 (RCR123), 14500, etc.) After buying the charger the cells are cheap to buy & offer a very low cost per hour of runtime.

The chart below is from Sanyo, maker of Eneloop brand rechargeable AA & AAA cells. At this time the Eneloops have the highest capacity & longest life in these sizes. Battery technology is constantly evolving & something else may well replace these.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg eneloop2.jpg (77.0 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by USAPatriot; 07-05-2014 at 07:58.
USAPatriot is offline   Reply With Quote