Old 12-22-2016, 15:59   #1
Divemaster
Quiet Professional

Atomic Buffalo Turds

Yeah, the name is weird, and not apropos at all since all three words in the name have nothing to do with the final product. Let’s call them ABT’s going forward.
Essentially, an ABT is a jalapeno pepper (hence the Atomic given name, I suppose) stuffed with tasty goodness before it is cooked on a smoker. What goes inside is left up to the imagination, kind of like solving a nearly impossible problem in selection.

This was my first attempt, but I know what I like. The Pacific Northwest is seafood country, but I didn’t have enough confidence to risk precious Dungeness crab here. Yeah, I Clintoned out, cheated, and went for canned lump crab. Two 6-ounce cans of crab to 16 ounces of warmed Philadelphia cream cheese, plus a generous tablespoon of garlic powder were mixed in a bowl to create the stuffing.
Besides jalapenos, I also had some of those small, sweet bell peppers on hand. Technically, those would compose Sweet Buffalo Turds, or SBT’s.

Since this was an experiment (as is anything I do on the smoker), I decided to try a couple of different things. I cut of the tops of some of the peppers, cored them, and then filled them with the cream cheese and crab mixture. My second method was to split some. After cutting in half, I cleaned out the innards and slapped on some crabby cheese. However, since I had more surface area to work with this is where I got a wee bit creative. On top of the spread I added a chunk of raw shrimp then wrapped the works in bacon.

For some of the jalapenos I left in a bit of membrane and a few seeds for added heat. This made a notable, and pleasant, difference. The mild heat, rather than overpowering, was complimentary.

On to the smoker at 250-275 with hickory chips in the pan. Two hours later three people devoured everything before they even cooled.

While the experiment was successful, an AAR is always required. I would indeed change a few things for the next batch.

1. Go for the Dungeness crab. It is so much more flavorful than the canned (I assume) blue crab. We can get whole Dungeness for $5.99 a pound right now.

2. More crab, less cream cheese. The ratio was out of balance so much of the crab flavor was lost.

3. Depending on those eating, look at adding more heat. The jalapeno guts can be mixed in to the cream cheese for those wanting it hotter.

4. Consider replacing the shrimp with bay scallops. I also think mussels or oysters would work well. This is just to change up flavors.

There are as many ways to make ABT’s as there are bullets in my gun safe. This was just one way, one time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ABT 1.jpg (36.4 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg ABT 2.jpg (50.9 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg ABT 5.jpg (59.9 KB, 69 views)
Old 01-02-2017, 10:09   #2
Penn
Area Commander

DM, really nice equipment rack, source please?

A suggestion on your technique with regard to the the stuffing mixture. Lose the cream cheese, its extremely heavy and cloaking on the palette. An alternative would be a very light Veloute, (1) or Bechamel (2). Both are basic roux's, flour and butter based sauce's. The difference between the two in the Veloute is stocked base, while the Bechamel is milk based.

A technique that often works best in our kitchen for a dish like yours, we would employ the veloute (very creamy), but tight enough to hold and bind the mixture, rather than the cream cheese, and in doing so we would use the crab juice from the can to add essence to the binding agent.
We would also season the binder and the crab individually before combining and stuffing the peppers.

Our preference with both sauce bases is to season the base as a finished product in and of itself. Ensuring that the base, which is what these two sauces are, reinforces the proteins basic flavor profile.

1. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velout%C3%A9_sauce

2. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B%C3%A9chamel_sauce
Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 12:44   #3
Sohei
Area Commander

Were the ABT's done as finger foods? From the look of them...and with enough crab meat...it looks like they could be a main meal.

Regardless, they look awesome and quite tasty.

Thanks for the recipe!
Sohei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 13:08   #4
Divemaster
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn View Post
DM, really nice equipment rack, source please?

A suggestion on your technique with regard to the the stuffing mixture. Lose the cream cheese, its extremely heavy and cloaking on the palette. An alternative would be a very light Veloute, (1) or Bechamel (2). Both are basic roux's, flour and butter based sauce's. The difference between the two in the Veloute is stocked base, while the Bechamel is milk based.

A technique that often works best in our kitchen for a dish like yours, we would employ the veloute (very creamy), but tight enough to hold and bind the mixture, rather than the cream cheese, and in doing so we would use the crab juice from the can to add essence to the binding agent.
We would also season the binder and the crab individually before combining and stuffing the peppers.

Our preference with both sauce bases is to season the base as a finished product in and of itself. Ensuring that the base, which is what these two sauces are, reinforces the proteins basic flavor profile.

1. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velout%C3%A9_sauce

2. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B%C3%A9chamel_sauce
Believe it or not, I found the rack in the "BBQ section" of Home Depot. Thanks for the advice for making the next batch better.
Old 01-02-2017, 13:10   #5
Divemaster
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agoge2 View Post
Were the ABT's done as finger foods? From the look of them...and with enough crab meat...it looks like they could be a main meal.

Regardless, they look awesome and quite tasty.

Thanks for the recipe!
ABTs are typically an appetizer while waiting for large pieces of dead animals to come off the grill or smoker.
Old 01-02-2017, 13:25   #6
Sohei
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divemaster View Post
ABTs are typically an appetizer while waiting for large pieces of dead animals to come off the grill or smoker.
Thank you, Sir! The only problem with that is...I can see myself "filling up" with those things before the charred beast flesh is done!

Maybe I could try some large Poblanos and make a meal out of them!

Thanks again for the recipe!
Sohei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 18:02   #7
Penn
Area Commander

HD's "BBQ Section" ? I have to ck that out. Its a great kitchen tool for prep and its oven proof.
So, you are doing some serious cooking, how does one go about an invite?
Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 18:53   #8
Divemaster
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn View Post
HD's "BBQ Section" ? I have to ck that out. Its a great kitchen tool for prep and its oven proof.
So, you are doing some serious cooking, how does one go about an invite?
Serious, Moi? Just playing with a new toy. Easy invite, just bring food and/or good beer!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pork butt rub.jpg (83.7 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Pork butt smokin'.jpg (75.5 KB, 18 views)