Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > And Some Gave All.... > TAPS

Old 08-10-2015, 21:06   #1
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

SGM Ernie Tabata

I regret to inform you that Sergeant Major Ernest K. Tabata passed away this afternoon in the hospital in Chapel Hill, NC.

Details to follow.

I was privileged to serve with Sergeant Major Ernie Tabata for two years on Demo Committee and have been close friends with him for more than twenty-five years.

I learned more in those two years concerning every subject I asked him about than any other two years of my life. I learned not just about SF engineering, but about how to be a better SF officer, soldier, and man in general.

Ernie took charge of the saber arch detail at my wedding and became a Sergeant Major again, like he was still on active duty. He did it exactly right, and his uniform still fit perfectly.

He was a man who lived simply and humbly, but who was rich in friends and experience.

His legacy lives on in the 20+% of the force he personally left his stamp of approval on, in his more than sixty years of service.

He was a good friend, a good man, and will be sorely missed. The world is truly a lesser place with his departure.

Thank you, Sergeant Major, for your service and your sacrifice, and for the time and wisdom you shared with me over the years.

I hope that you and Anna are together again tonight.

Rest in Peace, Sergeant Major. And save me a place at that final RV.

You will not be forgotten in my lifetime.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 21:19   #2
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

A fitting epitaph for a man whose inner strength and humility influenced everyone he touched. May you rest in eternal peace CSM.
A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.

~ Marcus Tullius Cicero (42B.C)
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 21:30   #3
Ambush Master
Quiet Professional

Rest in Peace Sergeant Major!!
Old 08-10-2015, 21:34   #4
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

Rest in Peace CSM. You taught me many things and you will live on in all our Brothers that you touched in your life.
See you in the ORP.......
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 21:49   #5
MR2
Quiet Professional

Sargent Major.

It's Never Crowded Along the Extra Mile - Wayne Dyer

WOKE = Willfully Overlooking Known Evil
MR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 22:10   #6
Chairborne64
Quiet Professional

Fantastic words Reaper. What an incredible loss. I was very honored to have known him. Rest in Peace Sergeant Major. De Oppresso Liber.

DWIGHT D. EISENHOWER
Chairborne64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 22:22   #7
Joker
Quiet Professional

A true legend. Rest in Peace Sergeant Major. DOL
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 22:22   #8
x SF med
Quiet Professional

SGM Tabata touched a lot of people who did not go through the demo committee, he was a fixture at the schoolhouse for many decades. If anybody didn't know something, the normal response was "Go ask Ernie, um, SGM, um Mr. T...."

The Regiment lost a great man here on earth, but gained an angel watching over us.

Rest Easy, SGM, your legacy is great and our respect is undying.

Hearing, I forget. Seeing, I remember. Writing (doing), I understand. Chinese Proverb

Too many people are looking for a magic bullet. As always, shot placement is the key. ~TR
x SF med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 22:27   #9
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

I had the honor of meeting him once, and the pleasure of hearing others tell stories about him. Huge loss. RIP
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 23:03   #10
blue02hd
Quiet Professional

Words escape me right now.

My wife and I had a chance to smile with him just a couple weeks ago at the SFA it seems. I was lucky to have been a student of his and felt even more privileged over the years as Ernie would always greet me warmly and kindly despite how ever long it was in between handshakes. The amazing thing is that he always remembered my name despite my being only one of thousands he had taught. I think he had that way with many a student. He impressed me as a man who has forgotten more about our craft than many of us will ever learn.

He was, and will always be a legend.

Verified Tax Payer and Future Sex Symbol
blue02hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 03:39   #11
CDRODA396
Quiet Professional

Rest in Eternal Peace and Honor Mr. Tabata, Lord knows you earned tenfold.
Old 08-11-2015, 04:10   #12
Pete
Quiet Professional

Rest in Peace

Rest in Peace, Ernie.

You made one Hell of a great impression on the Force.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 07:05   #13
sinjefe
Quiet Professional

RIP, Sergeant Major.
Old 08-11-2015, 09:40   #14
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
RIP SGM, Vaya con Dios..

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 09:58   #15
Richard
Quiet Professional

Ernie was the personification of the term 'NCO' and 'Sergeant Major' to me.

"RIP, Sergeant Major."

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote