Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > TMC 14 > Medical Pearls Of Wisdom

Old 12-11-2013, 19:16   #46
miclo18d
Quiet Professional

Well sure as sugar you have been exposed. If the jr or sr is the other medic, you segregate him and the team members not exposed. Get them off the base. They can conduct patrols in relation to finding and trying to fix this Taliban element before it attacks the compound and you're fighting with a sick NG company.

Quarantine the 30 exposed in the tight element and treat with IV Gorillacilli (I took cefoxitan with me on all my deployments but only like 25 viles, that's enough for combat wounds but would only last for about 8 hours with this problem. Make sure you have your mannitol handy (unless there is something better now). Separate the platoons and have platoon medics monitor closely. No contact between platoons. Emphasize the importance of this platoon quarantine. Put the quarantine guys back in the building and make this your home for the next week. The rest of the NG guys go on the perimeter and/or local patrols.

No way you're going to treat an entire 120 man inf company (plus SF team with ANA) prophylacticly. There won't be enough drugs in country but I would order them up just in case. Order up a doctor and/or pa and the med sustainment officer ( I think those guys do PM and infectious disease stuff). Order up PPE masks for everyone in the camp. You might look gay but you'll be able to fight when the time comes.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." — Jeff Cooper
miclo18d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 08:57   #47
Trapper John
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by miclo18d View Post
Well sure as sugar you have been exposed. If the jr or sr is the other medic, you segregate him and the team members not exposed. Get them off the base. They can conduct patrols in relation to finding and trying to fix this Taliban element before it attacks the compound and you're fighting with a sick NG company.

Quarantine the 30 exposed in the tight element and treat with IV Gorillacilli (I took cefoxitan with me on all my deployments but only like 25 viles, that's enough for combat wounds but would only last for about 8 hours with this problem. Make sure you have your mannitol handy (unless there is something better now). Separate the platoons and have platoon medics monitor closely. No contact between platoons. Emphasize the importance of this platoon quarantine. Put the quarantine guys back in the building and make this your home for the next week. The rest of the NG guys go on the perimeter and/or local patrols.

No way you're going to treat an entire 120 man inf company (plus SF team with ANA) prophylacticly. There won't be enough drugs in country but I would order them up just in case. Order up a doctor and/or pa and the med sustainment officer ( I think those guys do PM and infectious disease stuff). Order up PPE masks for everyone in the camp. You might look gay but you'll be able to fight when the time comes.
You've done this before haven't ya?

Quote:
Get them off the base. They can conduct patrols in relation to finding and trying to fix this Taliban element before it attacks the compound and you're fighting with a sick NG company.
IMO this is the most important thing to do given the situation.

Quote:
Quarantine the 30 exposed in the tight element and treat with IV Gorillacilli[n]
This is priority action #2 IMO.

Quote:
Separate the platoons and have platoon medics monitor closely. No contact between platoons. Emphasize the importance of this platoon quarantine. Put the quarantine guys back in the building and make this your home for the next week. The rest of the NG guys go on the perimeter and/or local patrols.
That's #3.

Quote:
Order up PPE masks for everyone in the camp. You might look gay but you'll be able to fight when the time comes.
And that's #4

Ladies and gentlemen you have just had a short tutorial on combat medicine SF style. What, XSFmedic, Ender18d, and Miclo18d have shown you are couple of key points that are emphasized in our training. (1) Limit your Hx and PE to a few key points (3-4). I had this Dx with Patient #1. (2) Speed is your friend - Act -don't second guess yourself. (3) Work with what you have, improvise if necessary. (4) SA is essential. Medical emergencies in a combat environment require decisions that take into account the tactical situation. Plan accordingly.

The actions implemented by Miclo18d would have averted a much a larger disaster IMO. It is very likely that the increased patrolling and your Team out of the FOB would have located the Taliban and dissuaded them from their present intention.

So, this raises another question in my mind. Does anyone think that the pending attack on the FOB and the emergence of bacterial meningitis in NG troops was a coincidence? With that question in mind, what would be some things that you would consider in the AAR?

I don't mean to extend this thread beyond it's usefulness in this forum, but that question just occurred to me as this scenario unfolded and I thought it might be an interesting discussion topic.

Last edited by Trapper John; 12-12-2013 at 08:58. Reason: Spelling
Trapper John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 22:31   #48
miclo18d
Quiet Professional

Something to consider, especially for the line medics, is that my plan is really about common sense if you know what you're dealing with. How do you know what you're dealing with? You start with medical intelligence. You do IPB on illnesses in your AOR just like you would for enemy forces. What diseases are prevelant? What is your biggest threat to your smallest based on occurrence and danger (malaria, TB, TYPH, cholera, leishmaniasis, EEE, mgc, etc. what are S/Sx for each? Prophylaxis? Tx? Preventive Med for each or for all.

The first thing the 18Ds did when we got to a base, especially early on (02-03) was the PM plan for the base. Piss tubes, shit burning details, potable water sources, other water sources, showers, hygiene areas, food areas, etc. we had a platoon plus of 82d on the base with us and Afghan militia (before the ANA). They all had to know the PM plan. My second tour PM was much more established on many of the big bases but was still important. History has always been: more soldiers die from disease than combat. We are always 1 step out from that postulate! This scenario helps drive the point home.

Interestingly enough, I saw some afghans with TB and lots with leish. For US troops it was diarrhea and oddly enough on my team I had 2 cases of appendicitis within a month of each other. I always wondered if there is a slight chance of an endemic element to that. I'm sure lowered immune systems and strange diets and other things like that were causative, but 2 cases a month apart was like, scary!

Back to the scenario. Keep your plan simple. As Doc Illinois pointed out, MGC doesn't spread like Ebola, so your quarantine can be limited and simple, but use the PPE. We have a case here in my county in FL where an elementary aged kid died in 24 hours and they had his daycare closed for 1 day.

The plt segregation was so that you can monitor the platoons and if you see cases pop up you have limited the exposure to the other platoons. My general thought was that the platoons would be on the perimeter and you keep them there until the threat is reduced (enemy AND illness). Think 33-50% security in Ranger school. You have basically triaged the entire camp to expectant (probably exposed) to routine (unlikely exposed).

The team off the base keeps their exposure down and they're more likely to whip the living tar out of the enemy force than a battalion of NG (no offense meant here, just being realistic). SF teams roll with CCT, just a fact of life here.

In my other post I did forget to order up supportive care measures in case any of your exposed guys go south on you. You're going to need some ACLS stuff just in case.

I'll step back and let some others throw in some pointers.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." — Jeff Cooper
miclo18d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 20:38   #49
Koldsteel
Asset

That was a very interesting "case study". Very thought provoking. Thanks for the lesson.
Koldsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 09:13   #50
Trapper John
Quiet Professional

NCIS Episode on Tue. 12/17

Anyone catch the last episode of NCIS on Tuesday 12/17? If not and you have cable that allows you to watch previous episodes, it would be interesting to watch in light of this thread.

See if you can pick up any medical discrepancies. Hint: Look for the slide showing the presumptive causative bacterium, later look for the picture of the rash, both of which were in the background while Gibbs and the team were discussing this outbreak. Then listen for the CDCs diagnosis towards the end of the episode.
Old 12-21-2013, 09:20   #51
Patriot007
Guerrilla

Prophylaxis

Prophylaxis should be triaged to those closest in contact.

A single dose of cipro 500 mg PO is sufficient.

Those exposed to saliva or respiratory secretions are highest risk. If you manage an airway it is recommended to take a dose.
Patriot007 is offline   Reply With Quote