Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Gourmet Guerrilla

Old 01-24-2013, 11:19   #31
booker
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn View Post
Pat, we use the supreme sous vide, its within a degree on the digital temp. The best book, imo is Kellers "Under Pressure", but you must have a cryorvac machine, and a good one, if you want the best results.
Learned about the cryovac the hard way. The thermo had some issues, sent it back, waited a couple of weeks, then just had them send me a refund. Time did not make the heart fonder...

While it is a nice method of cooking, the amount of PITA it caused me wasn't worth it. Keller's book is amazing (all of them are). I'm going to go with an Orion cooker in the spring, maybe I'll revisit the sous vide after the memories fade.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:39   #32
Penn
Area Commander

Here are two different approaches/technique to fish cooking. The Salmon was Sous Vide @ 113^F for 12 minutes, remove for the (Zip Lock Bag) placed on Paper Towels, seasoned, wonder flour, Then quickly Sauteed-for color only.
The Snapper was Sauteed, the Veg was Sous Vide. If you are using the skin, you have to make it crisp, the only way is direct heat, so Sous Vide method is a no go with skin on.

Zip LOCK BAGS
We stopped using the Cryovac Machine for fish & meat. 1. Time consuming process. 2. Results were the same.
You remove 95% of the air by folding the bag over the protein, then sealing the strip. We use the double seal bags.

Edit to add: tonight I'll take some other pictures of setting the fish up for service.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dfloret Grill Patio 025.jpg (36.1 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg dfloret Grill Patio 028.jpg (44.8 KB, 54 views)

Last edited by Penn; 04-26-2013 at 06:42.
Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:59   #33
mugwump
Area Commander

Anyone tried using the propane torch method for things like getting a char on steaks and crisping fish skin post sous vide?

“Klaatu barada nikto”
mugwump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 00:37   #34
Penn
Area Commander

Fish Sous Vide
L>R This id the Halibut both in and out of the Bag after being cooked Sous Vide
2. Halibut Skin side up before removal from the bag.
3. Sous Vide Halibut & Salmon before being seared.
If you can zoom in, you'll notice how the albumen is just set, cooked perfectly.

Last edited by Penn; 04-27-2013 at 00:43.
Old 05-19-2014, 10:23   #35
(1VB)compforce
Guerrilla Chief

So I got the new (to me) sous vide water oven (sous vide supreme) and wanted to see if I would get the same results I've seen at some restaurants. Here's a 1.5" thick ribeye cooked sous vide for ~two hours at 136 F (for a final core temp of 134) followed by a quick sear in a very hot pan. I have to say I'm very impressed with the way that the entire steak came out medium rare as advertised rather than having the thick overcooked ring around the outside edge. There will definitely be a lot more of this style of cooking going on here in the future. BTW, I didn't take the picture until after I had eaten most of the meal so presentation isn't there...

On a side note, I got the book(s) Modernist Cuisine that Penn posted about quite a while ago and again earlier in this thread. There's some really good information in there although, as Penn mentioned, some of the equipment they use is out of reach for non-commercial cooks. I don't see a combi or vapor oven in my kitchen any time soon ($10k-$30k each) The photography in the books is amazing and the set came with several of the pictures sized for framing. They'll be hanging in the kitchen soon.

I was going to post this in "Who's Cooking What Today?" but this thread seemed more appropriate even though it was older.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sous vide steak.jpg (37.9 KB, 35 views)
(1VB)compforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 10:46   #36
PSM
Area Commander

Thanks for the report. This keeps slipping down my to-do list but I'm still eager to master it.

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 14:15   #37
echoes
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSM View Post
Thanks for the report. This keeps slipping down my to-do list but I'm still eager to master it.

Pat
You will.:
echoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 14:17   #38
echoes
Area Commander

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by echoes View Post
You will.:
��
echoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 14:48   #39
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by (1VB)compforce View Post
So I got the new (to me) sous vide water oven (sous vide supreme) and wanted to see if I would get the same results I've seen at some restaurants. Here's a 1.5" thick ribeye cooked sous vide for ~two hours at 136 F (for a final core temp of 134) followed by a quick sear in a very hot pan. I have to say I'm very impressed with the way that the entire steak came out medium rare as advertised rather than having the thick overcooked ring around the outside edge. There will definitely be a lot more of this style of cooking going on here in the future. BTW, I didn't take the picture until after I had eaten most of the meal so presentation isn't there...

On a side note, I got the book(s) Modernist Cuisine that Penn posted about quite a while ago and again earlier in this thread. There's some really good information in there although, as Penn mentioned, some of the equipment they use is out of reach for non-commercial cooks. I don't see a combi or vapor oven in my kitchen any time soon ($10k-$30k each) The photography in the books is amazing and the set came with several of the pictures sized for framing. They'll be hanging in the kitchen soon.

I was going to post this in "Who's Cooking What Today?" but this thread seemed more appropriate even though it was older.
134 degrees??? The whole idea is not to have the proteins seize up!
Old 05-19-2014, 15:12   #40
(1VB)compforce
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
134 degrees??? The whole idea is not to have the proteins seize up!
It was my first time cooking this way and I was concerned about the safety side. As I get more comfortable, I'll adapt.

I personally don't like beef too fleshy so this was only slightly more done than I would want it anyhow. I might go as low as 130, but no lower for my own dinner.
Old 05-19-2014, 16:43   #41
cbtengr
Area Commander

I am glad this topic got a bump, I may not try Sous-Vide cooking but am going to clarify some butter and grill some steaks. Can anyone tell me if the butter can be reused?
Old 08-13-2014, 20:19   #42
Penn
Area Commander

Thanks for taking the time to post that report on the method you used, but as TS indicated your process is a bit off.

To correct that and approach the method properly buy or look on line for Thomas Keller's book "Under Pressure", Amazon has the book used for $12.00 dollars.

Pay particular attention to his time and temperatures, cataloged in the glossary as they relate to different products. His temperatures are spot on, but require the exact same equipment to execute properly. That said, I have two of the Sous Vide units you have (reconditioned 1/2 price from the company), they work perfectly, but only if I am diligently prepping the items to be Sous Vide correctly. We do NY Strips at either 130^F for 30 Minutes = Rare, or 140^F for 40 Minutes = Medium. We then quickly sear all edges on the plaque, then rest on a screen, prior to being served.

imho, it's the only way to cook meat. Especially, if you want a perfect edge to edge sear. When we grill any meat over an open wood and charcoal grill, it is first Sous Vide. The result of the slow controlled temperature cooking process, then grilling, renders mind boggling extraordinary results.
Old 08-14-2014, 05:06   #43
(1VB)compforce
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Thanks for taking the time to post that report on the method you used, but as TS indicated your process is a bit off.

To correct that and approach the method properly buy or look on line for Thomas Keller's book "Under Pressure", Amazon has the book used for $12.00 dollars.

Pay particular attention to his time and temperatures, cataloged in the glossary as they relate to different products. His temperatures are spot on, but require the exact same equipment to execute properly. That said, I have two of the Sous Vide units you have (reconditioned 1/2 price from the company), they work perfectly, but only if I am diligently prepping the items to be Sous Vide correctly. We do NY Strips at either 130^F for 30 Minutes = Rare, or 140^F for 40 Minutes = Medium. We then quickly sear all edges on the plaque, then rest on a screen, prior to being served.

imho, it's the only way to cook meat. Especially, if you want a perfect edge to edge sear. When we grill any meat over an open wood and charcoal grill, it is first Sous Vide. The result of the slow controlled temperature cooking process, then grilling, renders mind boggling extraordinary results.
Thanks Penn. I'll have to add that one to the library. I want to try some of the recipes out of Modernist Cuisine but haven't gotten there yet. I've only read the first 2-1/2 volumes so far.

For the first time I was using the guide that came with the machine. It said 1 hour and hold in the machine for up to 3 more. My guests were late arriving which is where the extra time came from. I'll definitely adjust my times down as I get more comfortable with it.

How do you deal with wet food like a marinated steak? The little vacuum sealer I have tries to suck all the liquid out and ends up getting a crappy seal. Do you use a chamber sealer or just stick with ziplocks and not worry about the vacuum part?

Last edited by (1VB)compforce; 08-14-2014 at 05:08.
Old 08-14-2014, 07:18   #44
Penn
Area Commander

Quote:
How do you deal with wet food like a marinated steak? The little vacuum sealer I have tries to suck all the liquid out and ends up getting a crappy seal. Do you use a chamber sealer or just stick with zip locks and not worry about the vacuum part?
When we have marinated, which is very rare for us to do, we use zip lock bags.

On the most expensive book set you'll ever buy, a $625.00 investment, I'm not terribly impressed, mainly, its more of a primer for the non-professional. This will become apparent as you delve further into the world of Sous Vide cooking and discover that it is just another culinary technique to use at your discretion.
Old 08-14-2014, 07:50   #45
(1VB)compforce
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
When we have marinated, which is very rare for us to do, we use zip lock bags.

On the most expensive book set you'll ever buy, a $625.00 investment, I'm not terribly impressed, mainly, its more of a primer for the non-professional. This will become apparent as you delve further into the world of Sous Vide cooking and discover that it is just another culinary technique to use at your discretion.
Thanks, I've been going back and forth on getting a chamber sealer. I'll stick with ziploc for now.

I agree with your assessment of the book/volumes. I have picked up a few things from it that have helped out with refining my technique. Probably the most valuable so far was the way intrinsic water can be manipulated to affect the results. Interestingly, even during my brief tenure at culinary school, that was never really discussed. The focus there was on how heat affects the product's protiens or fibers. Yes, using liquid nitrogen or an autoclave is interesting, but I don't see me ever stocking it in my house. I play with a lot of the molecular stuff so I have all kinds of esoteric books that cover the topic. Everything from Molecular Cuisine(Herve This) to Texture (Martin Lersch http://blog.khymos.org/recipe-collection/ ) I don't consider the big expense to be a waste, just low ROI.