Old 02-23-2015, 06:17   #1
Pete
Quiet Professional

Jet Pack

Shades of the 1960's - Jet Pack.

But this one seems to be a turbo and can get more than a few minutes of air time.

"Will technology help us escape urban commuting hell?"

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-30981226

"Fed up of endless traffic jams and overcrowded trains? Then how about commuting to work in your own jetpack?

New Zealand firm Martin Aircraft Company is building a one-person jetpack scheduled to go on sale in 2016. And it actually seems to work.

Although currently slated for use by emergency services, it is only a small leap to imagine it in the hands of commuters...."
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 08:52   #2
Guymullins
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post

But this one seems to be a turbo and can get more than a few minutes of air time.

"Fed up of endless traffic jams and overcrowded trains? Then how about commuting to work in your own jetpack?

New Zealand firm Martin Aircraft Company is building a one-person jetpack scheduled to go on sale in 2016. And it actually seems to work.

Although currently slated for use by emergency services, it is only a small leap to imagine it in the hands of commuters...."
No wings to glide with, no rotor to autorotate? Hope it has a quick deploying emergency chute.
Guymullins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 09:01   #3
Rumblyguts
Guerrilla

With drones being banned, I wonder if this would be banned as well due to privacy issues.

Commuting to work? There's a reason why we weren't issued steerable chutes for mass-tacs
Rumblyguts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 10:33   #4
PhyrricVictory
Asset

I'm terrified to think what the multitude of horrible drivers could do with a 3rd dimension to screw up.
PhyrricVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 10:55   #5
Pete
Quiet Professional

What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhyrricVictory View Post
I'm terrified to think what the multitude of horrible drivers could do with a 3rd dimension to screw up.
What? Like those folks doing a U Turn on the Green Arrow - with a sign right beside it saying "Yield To Right Turn"? Plowing around in their SUV flipping off and honking their horn at the folks trying to right turn?

With this thing they better have good gyro's otherwise a bump will result in two augering in.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 11:17   #6
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

I don't know, this would seem to have some excellent Darwinian properties, until they crashed into or upon a non-particpant.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 12:40   #7
Flagg
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post

I've actually had the Martin Jetpack( a local company here in NZ) on display at a large event I ran a number of years ago.

On some levels, I reckon it's a cool very high end recreational product.

But I'm not convinced it's got the range, payload to compete against existing and mature rotary or existing and maturing quadcopter drones.
Flagg is offline   Reply With Quote