Old 03-10-2005, 20:53   #1
Gandhi

What's the deal?

Ok I guess it's an inside thing once you get to a team. But why do all my instructors make warrent officers out to be the abused one on the team?
Old 03-10-2005, 21:22   #2
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Are you on an ODA?
Team Sergeant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 06:07   #3
Pete
Quiet Professional

Warrents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi
Ok I guess it's an inside thing once you get to a team. But why do all my instructors make warrent officers out to be the abused one on the team?

The "WHY" somebody does something has a lot to do with how they act when they get to where they want to go. "WHY" do you want to be in SF? "WHY" did that team member decide to go Warrent?

SF is really a small world where your views on the other MOSs in it are based on your interaction with the people around you. Anytime you hear people talking about others in SF you have to remember they have a limited view of the force as a whole.

That said there are lots of jokes and ribbings that new warrents have to put up with. The interaction between a new warrent and an old team sergeant makes for some good times in the team room. After they become an "Old" warrent things settle down.

When the first warrent course came out I decided I wanted to be a Company Sergeant Major. Another guy in the company decided he wanted to go warrent. He ended up being the XO on my team when I was the team sergeant. He's in my Antigua picture at the team house site. We were a good match at the time.

Bottom line don't base your opinions of SF MOSs on other's opinions. Wait until you get on a team and form your own.

Pete

Last edited by Pete; 03-11-2005 at 06:22. Reason: bad link
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 12:12   #4
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete

When the first warrent course came out I decided I wanted to be a Company Sergeant Major. Another guy in the company decided he wanted to go warrent. He ended up being the XO on my team when I was the team sergeant. He's in my Antigua picture at the team house site. We were a good match at the time.

Pete
I hope that you stayed at the NAVFAC and out of the PANAM Club and the topless beach.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 12:38   #5
Pete
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper
I hope that you stayed at the NAVFAC and out of the PANAM Club and the topless beach.

TR
I did stay at the NAVFAC, they were our "Secret Weapon" and supported (put up with) our activities.

I did not stay out of the Panam Club and we were there when they moved from the Q-hut to the nicer building. We were never baned from the place although we (Zidik) did have to "Police Our Own" one night that caused a little bit of team turmoil for a few days. I'll tell the full story on that one some slow day. Me and EG were the only sober ones that night.

I did see the topless beach.

I did go downtown to the place that served the best chicken. Even though it was placed "off limits" by the Navy most of the team hung out there a couple of times a week. Since the SPs thought we were all nuts anyway after the "Test Burn" they never came looking for us. The Master at Arms wanted to know if we were like that all the time and I said I was making the team be on their good behavior for the trip.

All-in-all the Navy treated us great while we were there.

Pete
Old 03-11-2005, 12:50   #6
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

One pass down Jolly Beach with topless German grandmothers sunbathing was all it took for my team to look for greener pastures. I guess that's what we got for training during off-season. The NAVFAC was the best kept not-so-secret in the business. The Navy was a great host - much better than RR in PR. I've never been to a better facility for MAROPS teams. Too bad it wasn't as popular with decision makers. Peregrino
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 13:15   #7
Pete
Quiet Professional

Chiefs again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrino
The NAVFAC was the best kept not-so-secret in the business.
I learned early in my career to smooge the conventional forces you have to hang with. Chief Carr was the same and had gone down to Antigua on the advance party and set things right for the next 5+ months.

My ability to "get along" with the "Real Army" allowed a Warrent HALO Team Leader to step on his crank big time in Camp Doha one day and come out smelling not too bad. I think he saw his bars go floating off into the Gulf that day in the mess hall.

If he ever decides to tell the 1st half of the story I'll finish up with the second half. The Doha CSM and SFC A. gave me their side but I never asked the Chief his side.

Pete
Old 03-11-2005, 13:19   #8
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete
I learned early in my career to smooge the conventional forces you have to hang with. Chief Carr was the same and had gone down to Antigua on the advance party and set things right for the next 5+ months.

Pete
George and I spent some time together there back in '84 or '85. And the Cajun boy on that team, Thibodeaux.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 13:28   #9
Pete
Quiet Professional

George & Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper
George and I spent some time together there back in '84 or '85. And the Cajun boy on that team, Thibodeaux.

TR
George and Joe are both in the picture at the teamhouse site. Man, one of these days I'll have to learn how to shrink pictures so I can post them.

Pete

Additional Note* IIRC there was a young captain from the 7th who gave us all the leason plans that his team had developed. I also want to think that he went down there with our advance party and he was still there when we, the rest of the team showed up. And IIRC it was he who had showed the advance party where the PanAm Club was. So if our team sinned while we were there, the sins lay on his shoulders .

Last edited by Pete; 03-11-2005 at 14:15. Reason: addition