Old 02-05-2019, 08:15   #1
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
OBD II Scan Tool?

Do any of you use an OBDII Scan Tool?

I'm not looking for the super-duper tool. I just want to know what to expect when I go to a dealer for service.

Although, I think the ability to reset some "stupid" codes would be handy.

Please Opine..

examples:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A2YWURTSRUAKKQ

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00652G4TS...0668520_dpLink

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 09:17   #2
PedOncoDoc
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_BPK View Post
Do any of you use an OBDII Scan Tool?

I'm not looking for the super-duper tool. I just want to know what to expect when I go to a dealer for service.

Although, I think the ability to reset some "stupid" codes would be handy.

Please Opine..

examples:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A2YWURTSRUAKKQ

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00652G4TS...0668520_dpLink
I use one - I like to do my own maintenance and simple repairs. Those you linked are good products, as is the OBDLINK MX+. I prefer one that links up with a phone/tablet/computer by bluetooth and uses an app that can be updated.

If you're looking for a simple read and clear for codes, you can get this done at most auto parts stores for free and they will print out the codes for you. If you don't want to shell out $60+, this one is very favorably reviewed and under $30.
‎"The dignity of man is not shattered in a single blow, but slowly softened, bent, and eventually neutered. Men are seldom forced to act, but are constantly restrained from acting. Such power does not destroy outright, but prevents genuine existence. It does not tyrannize immediately, but it dampens, weakens, and ultimately suffocates, until the entire population is reduced to nothing better than a flock of timid, uninspired animals, of which the government is shepherd." - Alexis de Tocqueville

Last edited by PedOncoDoc; 02-05-2019 at 09:24.
PedOncoDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 09:19   #3
cat in the hat
Quiet Professional

Most auto parts stores will hook one up and test for you and give you the code,

American on the inside, useful on the outside
cat in the hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 09:43   #4
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Should have mentioned my entry point.

My wheels sat most of last week in the cold condo parking lot. Thur it had dropped to 11F. Saturday I was going out to shop. Got in and after 10 sec the temp gauge jumps to 250 and a warning light is on. Tried again several times, letting it run for 30sec or so to see if it was just a frozen thermostat. I know they used 50/50 antifreeze. Tried again Sunday afternoon, the same. Tried yesterday, it was in the upper 40t's, same.

Go online to my vehicles user group and the hive consensus is the temp sensor is probably bad. Several suggested I test for codes because it could be a couple different things.

Hence my quest. My thinking is now that they mandate the OBD II port in all US vehicles, it's not a bad idea to know before you get to the dealer what might be wrong.

My wheels: Porsche 958 Cayenne GTS, 2014, 49+K miles, out of warranty. The 50K check-up was 4 months ago.

Old 02-05-2019, 09:48   #5
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedOncoDoc View Post
I use one - I like to do my own maintenance and simple repairs. Those you linked are good products, as is the OBDLINK MX+. I prefer one that links up with a phone/tablet/computer by bluetooth and uses an app that can be updated.

If you're looking for a simple read and clear for codes, you can get this done at most auto parts stores for free and they will print out the codes for you. If you don't want to shell out $60+, this one is very favorably reviewed and under $30.
Your suggestion is already on the list, but it brings up the next Q,, what software app to use. I'm an apple toady :]

Old 02-05-2019, 10:45   #6
1stindoor
Quiet Professional

I used to own one and used it all the time on my previous truck and wife's cars. When it gave up the ghost I meant to replace it....it's been nearly 2 years...I seem to have a procrastination problem. but I haven't needed it in nearly two years either (knock on wood). I found it to be worth the cost, especially to know beforehand when you take it to the mechanic But you own a Porsche...therefore you have too much money anyhows.
-TOMAHAWK9521
1stindoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 10:56   #7
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stindoor View Post
I used to own one and used it all the time on my previous truck and wife's cars. When it gave up the ghost I meant to replace it....it's been nearly 2 years...I seem to have a procrastination problem. but I haven't needed it in nearly two years either (knock on wood). I found it to be worth the cost, especially to know beforehand when you take it to the mechanic But you own a Porsche...therefore you have too much money anyhows.
Used,, I let someone else eat the 2yr - 50% depreciation drop :]

Old 02-05-2019, 11:47   #8
PedOncoDoc
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_BPK View Post
Your suggestion is already on the list, but it brings up the next Q,, what software app to use. I'm an apple toady :]
I'm an Android guy, but from what I've seen either OBD Fusion or Torque Pro should treat you well.
‎"The dignity of man is not shattered in a single blow, but slowly softened, bent, and eventually neutered. Men are seldom forced to act, but are constantly restrained from acting. Such power does not destroy outright, but prevents genuine existence. It does not tyrannize immediately, but it dampens, weakens, and ultimately suffocates, until the entire population is reduced to nothing better than a flock of timid, uninspired animals, of which the government is shepherd." - Alexis de Tocqueville
PedOncoDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 12:02   #9
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

I have had one for years.

Comes in handy when you are troubleshooting and keeps some mechanics honest.

Once you get the code, you can either look it up in the book or online.

That will tell you (generically, sometimes) what the problem might be.

Sometimes, it is just a matter of closing your gas cap (P0457 or PO442) and saving a trip to the shop.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 12:06   #10
Isobaric
Asset

In terms of overall capability, I doubt you'll notice a ton of difference between a standalone unit and the Bluetooth receiver/transmitter + OBDII application for either Android / iOS device. At this point the CAN communication protocols used for automotive diagnostics are fairly standardized so either utility will be capable of retrieving, viewing, and clearing DTC's. Both will also have some capability to view and record live data which can prove useful in diagnosing certain issues (intermittent misfire, sensor/actuator drift, etc).

Personally, I have an inexpensive Bluetooth adapter (LINK) in each of my vehicles paired with 'OBD Fusion' on the phone for emergency situations where I might otherwise end up stranded. Overall the app seems fairly robust, minimal crashes or other undesirable behavior, though I'm sure there is some room for variance depending on what the back-end device is.
For more extensive troubleshooting I have a PC with a suite of diagnostic and calibration SW, however this is a residual effect of having worked as a development engineer in the automotive industry, and I wouldn't recommend for the sole purpose of clearing DTC's.

If I had to chose one or the other, I would stick with the Bluetooth adapter plus phone application. Increased likelihood that you will have it available when an issue arises, comparable functionality and cost. Only downside is the risk future OS or application updates will introduce instability, however I've haven't encountered this to date.
Isobaric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 20:37   #11
chdoro89
Asset

I worked as a technician for the past 6 years and will often turn to my bluetooth OBD scanner when I don't need the in depth features provided by my SNAPON scanner. That being said this scanner provides quite a bit of functionality for the price.

https://www.bluedriver.com/products/...iver-scan-tool
chdoro89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 05:36   #12
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by chdoro89 View Post
I worked as a technician for the past 6 years and will often turn to my bluetooth OBD scanner when I don't need the in depth features provided by my SNAPON scanner. That being said this scanner provides quite a bit of functionality for the price.

https://www.bluedriver.com/products/...iver-scan-tool

I pulled the trigger on the BAFX Products - OBD Reader for Check Engine Lights & Other Diagnostics (for iOS Devices), model 4336330160, MPN BAFX OBD

The BlueDriver was the 2nd choice and went toe-to-toe on customer FB ratings.

BAFX @ 26USD vs BlueDriver @ 99USD
BAFX 2yr ve BD 1yr warrenty
ODG Fusion software 10USD with free updates

Will update with results
Thanks for the help

Old 02-09-2019, 19:30   #13
35NCO
Guerrilla

Read/write when is the last time you scanned your car for malware or a virus?

If you have an older rig or you do something no one cares about, feel free to use whatever product.

If you have a new car, smart car, hi-tech whatever, and or might be slightly interesting to someone, DO NOT use imported scanners. Especially ones that can read write or are connected to the web. The threat may not be there yet, but it most certainly will be soon. Even if not the direct threat, no reason to share all your telemetry data with strangers.

Consider it your PII:
(2018 Ford, Vinxxxxx, 09/07/2018, drove to X location, two passengers, avg 65 mph. Stopped 3 hours. Truck hauling 650lbs...ext...ext)

Not only that but leaking system sensor capabilities to unknown collectors will not be good for future automotive security or domestic manufacturing compedative resiliency.

Also, if your car can "drive it self" be damn certian that at some point someone will figure out how to drive it for you. These web/gsm/CDMA (and GPS) enabled 24/7 vehicles are a substantial security incident waiting to happen.

Be wary of those offering free gifts or scan tool capabilities too good to be true for the price. Use trusted repair facilities and if it's a cheap shop, find out what they use.

Think of it like any cyber threat, it just takes one connection one time, and its game over.
35NCO is offline   Reply With Quote