Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces Weapons > Ammo Talk

Old 09-09-2010, 08:39   #76
brianksain
Guerrilla

Edited

Last edited by brianksain; 09-21-2010 at 21:52.
brianksain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 18:49   #77
Gold Eagle
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
Any load approximating the issue M193 such as the Winchester Q3131A or Federal American Eagle would be my generic choice.

Look for a 55 grain bullet with a cannelure.

If you want a more expensive precision round, the 62-69 grain match HPs should shoot well in your rifle.

For light game, I would take any of the heavier bullets in a bonded version.

For varmints, the lighter bullets.

For two legged game, the M193 clones should do just fine.

Avoid Wolf and unknown foreign surplus. Others may have a different opinion, this has been discussed here several times if you want to look it up.

I also enjoy the .22 conversion kit for plinking and CB cap use.

TR
T R what 22 conversion do you recommend at this time? Thanks
Gold Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 15:21   #78
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

I have the Ciener and the Spikes.

The Ciener runs well, but is the most difficult company to deal with I have ever encountered.

My Spikes does not run, even after being returned to the factory. Other who have them love theirs.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 15:41   #79
Paslode
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
Last time I was hunting I just showed the deer (a twelve pointer) I was using Black Hills Ammo and it just laid down and died.

Team Sergeant
It is getting knee deep! That ranks right up there with Cousin Randy's TALL tales
Old 08-12-2011, 13:38   #80
WholeManin2010
Auxiliary

Update, in case anyone is considering buying Fiocchi

Quote:
Originally Posted by WholeManin2010 View Post
Anyone here have experience with Fiocchi's 55 or 62 gr. FMJBT ammunition? I got the impression that their quality is on par with most average American made plinking ammo. I am considering ordering a case of either, as they can currently be had for a fair price and free shipping.

Also, considering that the 62 gr. is not a clone of M855, and does not have the steel penetrator tip, should I expect increased accuracy due to the heavier bullet vs. the 55 grain? Will be blasting it through a piston gun with a 1:7 barrel twist.

Thanks in advance.
I've purchased and fired 1000+ rounds of each weight since this post. BLUF -- I think that better ammo can be had for equal or less money.

The 62 grain (no penetrator, not an M855 clone) worked just fine, and had it not been for issues with the 55 grain rounds, I would consider purchasing it again.

The lighter stuff was prone to blowing primers clean out of the pockets. Good thing I always wear eye pro. Most of the time, the spent primer flew out alongside the expended brass. A few times it made its way into the chamber, which kept the bolt face from seating fully, giving me the closest thing to an FTF that I've ever experienced with my LMT. This happened with about 50 rounds out of 1200.

Interestingly enough, when I purchased the case of 55gr, the folks selling it were very excited about how "hot" it was, mentioning that they'd chrony'd it at some pretty blistering speeds. Seems this (overpressure?) is the likely culprit.

Federal/Winchester/PMC it is.
"Many current Army regulations and policies place insufficient emphasis on individual, crew, and unit marksmanship. If the fighting Army does nothing else, we must be able to hit our targets. Conversely, if we do all other things right, but fail to hit and kill targets, we shall lose."

--Army Vice Chief of Staff General John Vessey
WholeManin2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 16:51   #81
Irishsquid
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatx View Post
Hmm, I may need to look around for some pics of what the 75 gr. TAP will do to a wild pig...fun to say the least!

I didn't take any pictures, but a friend recently called about a problem he was having with wild pigs. I took my rifle and a couple boxes of TAP with me. I will say the round performs quite well in live tissue. Much better than it did in gelatin, in fact. Also, it was a helluva fun weekend.

I'll get pictures next time I head out there.
Irishsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 00:22   #82
Gold Eagle
Guerrilla

Is this considered too hot? Would this wear out a AR prematurely?
http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.c...dir=18|830|845
Old 02-28-2014, 06:47   #83
Streck-Fu
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold Eagle View Post
Is this considered too hot? Would this wear out a AR prematurely?
http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.c...dir=18|830|845
Too hot? No. What is your planned use? It is best used in a 1/7 barrel.

If it's truely a MK262 replica, muzzle velocity is in the 2700fps range.

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Streck-Fu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 11:17   #84
Gold Eagle
Guerrilla

Just curious. Would use to just try out long range and SHTF use maybe. Thanks!