Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Early Bird

Old 09-08-2018, 03:44   #61
Pete
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardcorps View Post
I stand corrected. Shall I get down and give you fifty pushups? ........
Might help but it does show where you get your news from. The news that helps you form your opinions.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 06:53   #62
hardcorps
BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Might help but it does show where you get your news from. The news that helps you form your opinions.
I got that short piece about Palin by doing a Google Search. But I get my news from various sources, left and right. Mostly newspapers, magazines, and online. I almost never watch news on TV.
hardcorps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 07:38   #63
SouthernDZ
Quiet Professional

"When you find yourself in a hole, stop digging" -- Will Rogers (found that on google too).
SouthernDZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 08:29   #64
Pete
Quiet Professional

Quote:
I got that short piece about Palin by doing a Google Search. But I get my news from various sources, left and right. Mostly newspapers, magazines, and online. I almost never watch news on TV.
For 10 years you've believed Gov Palin was a dunce because of something that was done on a SNL skit.

You also believe her to be a dunce because that's what your left wing fake news sites told you to believe.

If you read something that fits your biases you believe it. If you read something that doesn't then you don't believe it.

So what else are you wrong on?
Old 09-08-2018, 09:07   #65
Pete
Quiet Professional

Will be gone for about 24 hours so y'all behave yourselves.
Old 09-08-2018, 10:46   #66
Old Dog New Trick
Quiet Professional

Hardcorps, tell me a story about yourself.

You have children? (I do, one boy, he’s young, I’m old)

Were you a Marine at a young age? Stay long after your tour of duty? I’m guessing you were drafted? (I joined of my own free will at 17, for a short time - get my shit together - I was a rudderless high school dropout at the time - that short time lasted 21 years and turned my life around.)

You start out in life wealthy, average, or poor? (I was in a typical 1960’s family, typical until my dad left my mom at five, typical until watching your war on the family TV and listening to Walter Cronkite tell all. I didn’t grow up rich or poor but there were times food stamps put food on the table and times where everything was possible.)

You appear to have done well in life, work in (literally) Hollywood, dine with real life Hollywood action figures, and live in Grenada Hills (I know the place well - my uncle raised my cousins there in the 70’s - it’s a successful mans’ neighborhood - or was. I grew up in and around Burbank.) Again it sounds like you have done well in life. (I have too, my career in the Army led me to a second career in law enforcement/counterterrorism; I really do what you write about - have everyday for 38 years now, no scripts, no breaks, no retakes. I provide for my family, drive nice cars and live in a big house.)

As such, I really don’t want my son to join the military when he’s old enough. I’m working hard so he has an opportunity to get an excellent education, find a great job, and do all the things I never had the opportunity to do, although I would not change anything about my life. (Well, I’d like to go back and finish the 12th grade get the diploma and fly the helicopter instead of jumping from them, that might have been better. But no, my life turned out just great. I spent much of it cleaning up after the wars before me from Europe to Southeast Asia.)

If you have children, are they expected to serve in peacetime or war? Would you help them or encourage them to avoid service in war after graduating from school or writing their own yet to be produced movie? What if before you are done in life, you have your own production company, and a son or daughter to hand it down to...wouldn’t you, want them to stay away from it?

It’s not “dishonorable” to take over the family business or become the family breadwinner after parents poured their entire lives into your success. I would hope and pray that after the hardships and destruction of entire families from WW1 to Vietnam that we never have a draft again and that there will only be a military where people like me can volunteer to do what others cannot or will not do. I don’t fault them nor despise them and I would not want them protecting my flank or my six. So many lives needlessly lost because of the poor leadership this country has had in the past (recent past as well) still judging the current CinC.

Do you find fault only with Donald Trump or anyone from that time period? Should the college students of Kent State or other universities be held up as cowards and draft dodgers? How about the hundreds of thousands of military aged males who had the time to protest but not enough courage to sign up?

One last before I go, which Hollywood tough guy you know actually served in the military?

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” (Sir Edmund Burke)

Last edited by Old Dog New Trick; 09-08-2018 at 10:50.
Old Dog New Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 10:55   #67
hardcorps
BANNED USER

Quote:
For 10 years you've believed Gov Palin was a dunce because of something that was done on a SNL skit.

You also believe her to be a dunce because that's what your left wing fake news sites told you to believe.

If you read something that fits your biases you believe it. If you read something that doesn't then you don't believe it.

There's an old saying: Better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you're an idiot, than to open it and remove all doubt.

My initial opinion about Palin was positive, because I trusted McCain's judgement. Then she opened her mouth (for the Katie Couric interview) and I saw quite plainly that she was a dummy; an ignorant dummy. I'm sure McCain made the same realization around the same time. Subsequent interviews with Palin did not convince me otherwise. It didn't matter if those interviews were on Fox News or on CNN.
Old 09-08-2018, 11:14   #68
hardcorps
BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dog New Trick View Post

Were you a Marine at a young age? Stay long after your tour of duty? I’m guessing you were drafted? (I joined of my own free will at 17, for a short time - get my shit together - I was a rudderless high school dropout at the time - that short time lasted 21 years and turned my life around.)

You start out in life wealthy, average, or poor? (I was in a typical 1960’s family, typical until my dad left my mom at five, typical until watching your war on the family TV and listening to Walter Cronkite tell all. I didn’t grow up rich or poor but there were times food stamps put food on the table and times where everything was possible.)

You appear to have done well in life, work in (literally) Hollywood, dine with real life Hollywood action figures, and live in Grenada Hills (I know the place well - my uncle raised my cousins there in the 70’s - it’s a successful mans’ neighborhood - or was. I grew up in and around Burbank.) Again it sounds like you have done well in life. (I have too, my career in the Army led me to a second career in law enforcement/counterterrorism; I really do what you write about - have everyday for 38 years now, no scripts, no breaks, no retakes. I provide for my family, drive nice cars and live in a big house.)

As such, I really don’t want my son to join the military when he’s old enough. I’m working hard so he has an opportunity to get an excellent education, find a great job, and do all the things I never had the opportunity to do, although I would not change anything about my life. (Well, I’d like to go back and finish the 12th grade get the diploma and fly the helicopter instead of jumping from them, that might have been better. But no, my life turned out just great. I spent much of it cleaning up after the wars before me from Europe to Southeast Asia.)

If you have children, are they expected to serve in peacetime or war? Would you help them or encourage them to avoid service in war after graduating from school or writing their own yet to be produced movie? What if before you are done in life, you have your own production company, and a son or daughter to hand it down to...wouldn’t you, want them to stay away from it?

It’s not “dishonorable” to take over the family business or become the family breadwinner after parents poured their entire lives into your success. I would hope and pray that after the hardships and destruction of entire families from WW1 to Vietnam that we never have a draft again and that there will only be a military where people like me can volunteer to do what others cannot or will not do. I don’t fault them nor despise them and I would not want them protecting my flank or my six. So many lives needlessly lost because of the poor leadership this country has had in the past (recent past as well) still judging the current CinC.

Do you find fault only with Donald Trump or anyone from that time period? Should the college students of Kent State or other universities be held up as cowards and draft dodgers? How about the hundreds of thousands of military aged males who had the time to protest but not enough courage to sign up?

One last before I go, which Hollywood tough guy you know actually served in the military?
I'll have to get back to you later, because I've got things to do right now, and some of your questions require long answers. But I can answer a few right now, quickly.

First of all, I enlisted in the Marine Corps, right after I turned 18. I turned 19 when I was already serving in Vietnam.

I don't personally know any on-screen "Hollywood tough guys" who served in the military. But I had a writing partner named Chuck Pfarrer, who served in the Navy SEALS for about 8 years. Chuck went on to write "Hard Target," "Darkman," and a few other successful movies. He's writing novels now.

The only on-screen "tough guy" whom I've personally known, and who's made claims about serving in the military (and the CIA!), is Steven Seagal. He made these claims to me personally, to my face, while I was riding in the same car with him. Turns out that all of this was complete bullshit. He never served a day in his life, in the military or the CIA.

Another big bullshitter was a guy named Frank Dux, who's enshrined in your Hall Of Shame. In the days before the Internet, Frank made all kinds of wild claims about being in Special Forces and participating in secret underground martial arts competitions. I ended up writing a screenplay about these completely fictitious exploits which was titled "Bloodsport," and which became a movie that gave Dux a certain amount of notoriety for a number of years, until his house of cards started to come crashing down. Rather than going into laborious detail, here's what the Military Phonies website had to say about Dux after doing an extensive investigation: https://militaryphony.com/2017/03/19...etting-warmer/. I'm sure most of you have seen this movie. It has also been reported to be Donald Trump's favorite movie, or at least among his top ten.

To briefly answer another of your queries, I have 3 daughters, all of whom are in their 30's. I've been married to the same woman for 36 years now. Which is very atypical for Hollywood, but I've been atypical my entire life.

Back at ya later!

Last edited by hardcorps; 09-08-2018 at 15:00.
Old 09-08-2018, 11:28   #69
Old Dog New Trick
Quiet Professional

Quote:
There's an old saying: Better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you're an idiot, than to open it and remove all doubt.

My initial opinion about Palin was positive, because I trusted McCain's judgement. Then she opened her mouth (for the Katie Couric interview) and I saw quite plainly that she was a dummy; an ignorant dummy. I'm sure McCain made the same realization around the same time. Subsequent interviews with Palin did not convince me otherwise. It didn't matter if those interviews were on Fox News or on CNN.
What she needed was a TelePrompTer and for the interviewer to stay on script with all those pre-submitted questions like all the other leading candidates get.

Just ask Uncle Joe Biden what can possibly go wrong when you speak from the hip? So many inadvertent slip ups with classified information to keep track of.

Oh and I’ll be, his five student deferments and a sixth medical waiver from Vietnam. Must have been hard for McCain to call him his BFF.

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” (Sir Edmund Burke)
Old 09-08-2018, 13:02   #70
hardcorps
BANNED USER

Quote:
Just ask Uncle Joe Biden what can possibly go wrong when you speak from the hip? So many inadvertent slip ups with classified information to keep track of.

Oh and I’ll be, his five student deferments and a sixth medical waiver from Vietnam. Must have been hard for McCain to call him his BFF.
Biden's son, Beau Biden, served as an officer in the US military. And ironically, he deployed to Iraq the day after his dad's debate with Palin. Three of McCain's sons served in the US military. Jimmy McCain served in Iraq and Afghanistan, both for the Marines and for the Army. With all that in common, I'm sure McCain and Biden had no problems being BFF's.
Old 09-08-2018, 14:50   #71
Flagg
Area Commander

Quote:

I was never a fan or detractor of Governor Palin.

But I was a massive fan of Admiral James Stockdale:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Stockdale

Some here may be quite disappointed at the split ticket result of Perot/Stockdale being a victorious tailwind for Clinton/Gore.

Clinton/Gore won over Bush Senior by just 5.5% with Perot/Stockdale taking 19%.

If Perot/Stockdale had not run, Bush Senior would surely have won.

Funny how that never seems to come up in historical discussions in the media.

However, Admiral Stockdale was a good man, and truly an intellectual titan.

Who was also character assassinated on SNL by Phil Hartmann(was since murdered by his wife, perhaps a bit of karma).

If there is an A4 pilot and Vietnam POW I’m going to miss, it’s Admiral Stockdale.

Senator McCain’s disruption of real campaign finance reform is sickening.
Flagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 14:59   #72
Box
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagg View Post
Clinton/Gore won over Bush Senior by just 5.5% with Perot/Stockdale taking 19%.

If Perot/Stockdale had not run, Bush Senior would surely have won.

Funny how that never seems to come up in historical discussions in the media.

Not a lot of folks understand that it was Perot going in and out of the election undermining Bush Sr that gave real birth to the Clinton empire.
If Bill had been beaten, he'd have probably faded into obscurity while the Democrats went looking for their next champion.

Imagine what today's political landscape might look like if the Clintons never had a chance to dig that first foxhole that they used to defend their growing empire.
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

"Make sure your own mask is secure before assisting others"
-Airplane Safety Briefing
Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 15:17   #73
Old Dog New Trick
Quiet Professional

I was part of that 19%.

If Perot/Stockdale had won perhaps none of the shit that went wrong since ‘93 would have happened.

-No Clinton(s)
-No Bush
-No Obama
-No Trump

Funny how tiny moments in history can have such a major affect on the future.

-No USS Cole in the news
-No Embassy bombings
-No Mogadishu Mile!

Just some dead goat fucker named Bin Laden. (Dies in Sudan from iron poisoning)

-No 9/11/01 (perhaps?)

Last edited by Old Dog New Trick; 09-08-2018 at 18:19.
Old 09-10-2018, 13:46   #74
hardcorps
BANNED USER

Quote:

As promised, I'm picking up a few of your unanswered questions here:

I still had a couple more years left on my four-year enlistment when I returned from 'Nam. I volunteered for Force Recon during that period, which led to me attending and graduating from Jump School and Ranger School. Those were my best two years in the Marines. There's nothing cooler than a night jump off the tailgate of a C-130.

My family lived in a six story tenement in Brooklyn for the first five years of my life. Then we moved to Los Angeles, and my parents gradually ascended their way up the middle class ladder.

You appear to have done well in life, work in (literally) Hollywood, dine with real life Hollywood action figures, and live in Grenada Hills (I know the place well - my uncle raised my cousins there in the 70’s - it’s a successful mans’ neighborhood - or was. I grew up in and around Burbank.)

Trust me, Granada Hills, for the most part, is strictly a middle class neighborhood. There are a few other film industry folks who live around here, but they're mostly "below-the-line" craftspeople; Production Managers, Transportation Coordinators, and similar. The rich folks in the San Fernando Valley live in Encino, Tarzana, and Sherman Oaks, and further west in Calabasas.

Again it sounds like you have done well in life. (I have too, my career in the Army led me to a second career in law enforcement/counterterrorism; I really do what you write about - have everyday for 38 years now, no scripts, no breaks, no retakes. I provide for my family, drive nice cars and live in a big house.)

Nowadays, I'm getting by quite comfortably on my pensions (from the DGA and WGA), an annuity, Social Security, and residuals. I even get a small Disability check from the VA.

I still despise Jane Fonda and others of a similar ilk from that same period. And while I'm not a fan of Trump, I do admire a number of his recent accomplishments, especially: pulling out of the U.N.'s so-called "Human Rights Council," moving the US Embassy to Jerusalem, de-funding UNWRA, demanding that other members of NATO contribute their fair share, strengthening border controls, and getting the leaders of North and South Korea to shake hands.

I already said what I have to say about phony veterans Steven Seagal and Frank Dux.

Have I answered enough questions? I usually get paid to do this much writing
Old 09-10-2018, 14:07   #75
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
I already said what I have to say

I usually get paid to do this much writing
Good, because we tolerate silence.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3376060966f2d5d3d2c63688f6e44e4c.jpg (64.5 KB, 53 views)

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote