Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Pipeline (Special Forces Training) > Special Forces Assessment & Selection

Old 08-05-2010, 00:06   #16
18C4V
Quiet Professional

Furry,

The problem is your credibility. You don't have any and you haven't been to schools where rucking is the bread and butter of such courses such as PRC, Ranger School, RSLC, SFAS, SFQC and other courses out there that have timed road marches.

Even though I testify in court as a police officer in criminal hearings, I sure as hell know that I'm not a lawyer.

Last edited by 18C4V; 08-05-2010 at 00:13.
18C4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 07:14   #17
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

I feel like a civilian skydiver is telling me how to prepare for MFF training...

Does this mean that a military guy with a lot of ruck experience should be telling experienced mountaineers how to prepare for a climb?

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 07:40   #18
Rumblyguts
Guerrilla

Quote:
Footdrill I wanted to start this thread to see what others are currently doing to prepare for SFAS or the NG SFRE. More specifically, what kind of PT others are doing so we can compare and contrast and possibly elicit the advice from the QP.
Quote:
furry I thought this thread was an open discussion about prep work. I didn't see anywhere that this thread was limited to replies by QPs only, so if I missed that then my fault.
Nope, you're right, it doesn't look like the thread was limited to only QP replies. Seems like he was looking for other plans nd ideas from other hopefuls, and advice from QP's
Rumblyguts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 12:54   #19
furry
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumblyguts View Post
Nope, you're right, it doesn't look like the thread was limited to only QP replies. Seems like he was looking for other plans nd ideas from other hopefuls, and advice from QP's
That was my understanding as well.

WM: Thanks for your reply, honored you would chime in. And yes, I agree, ultimately everyone has to tweak training to what works for them. I was simply offering up a different approach than what seems to be the singular approach championed by this site.

Quote:
I feel like a civilian skydiver is telling me how to prepare for MFF training...

Does this mean that a military guy with a lot of ruck experience should be telling experienced mountaineers how to prepare for a climb?
Actually, such an individual might have some knowledge to share. I don't take a myopic view and only accept fitness advice from people who are climbers, and I don't see why this would be any different.

As for the civilian telling you how to prepare: yes, it happens all the time. I have friends and acquaintances who have been hired by SOF units to train them in their respective areas of expertise (ice, rock, and alpine climbing).

So long as the advice is presented honestly and openly, the reader is free to evaluate its weight and credibility on their own. The marketplace of ideas, as it were.
furry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 13:35   #20
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by furry View Post
That was my understanding as well.

WM: Thanks for your reply, honored you would chime in. And yes, I agree, ultimately everyone has to tweak training to what works for them. I was simply offering up a different approach than what seems to be the singular approach championed by this site.

Actually, such an individual might have some knowledge to share. I don't take a myopic view and only accept fitness advice from people who are climbers, and I don't see why this would be any different.

As for the civilian telling you how to prepare: yes, it happens all the time. I have friends and acquaintances who have been hired by SOF units to train them in their respective areas of expertise (ice, rock, and alpine climbing).

So long as the advice is presented honestly and openly, the reader is free to evaluate its weight and credibility on their own. The marketplace of ideas, as it were.
furry,

Why don't you follow the rules ? You haven't filled out your profile yet! We have no idea who you are..............

Big Teddy
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 13:49   #21
furry
Asset

Apologies. Done.
Old 08-05-2010, 18:02   #22
caveman
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceshigh View Post
I've maxed my pushups and run on the APFT but my situps have been stuck in the high 60's (I'm working on it).
Try the AB Ripper X workout from P90X, while the name of the program sounds stupid and I've not done any of their other workouts, I will say that it definitely has the potential to bust a plateau; I've had considerable success with it. It's not easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior-Mentor View Post
Experienced Soldiers know things won't go exactly in accordance with an Operations Order (OPORD). But you have to have a baseline, a plan. GET SELECTED is that baseline. From there, you can FRAGO as you like.
I like this analogy.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:50   #23
11Ber
Quiet Professional

During my 2 years in the course I wandered through several different training programs until I found one I like and that wasn't until the past 5 months or so. As I have said several times on here and will tell anyone who hopes to be successful at SFAS, I followed Get Selected to the letter, twice. It prepared me adequately for SFAS and I was successful. Once I got going in the course I felt I was way behind where I needed to be to be a contributing member of an ODA. After SUT, which was first then, I heard about and got into Crossfit. Thought it was the #hit. I was getting fitter and stronger, I thought. However I noticed several things. My run times were lacking because there isn't a strong running emphasis in Crossfit. Second, I was actually becoming weaker. My lift numbers were dropping. I could do body weight stuff all day but could barely DL 350. Third and to me the most major issue, after 20 minutes of work I was done. I feel Crossift trains for 20 minutes of work and that is all. Well, thats ok for most people's fitness requirements, but for us with our jobs 20 minutes could just be the warm up.
I then found CFE and thought cool I can incorporate some running/swimming/c2/cycling into my CF routine. This worked and my run times came back and I didn't have to log 35 miles a week. However, the course is just a tad time consuming and 2 workouts most days with rarely one day completely off from training equals one thing--training burnout. I started to dread having to train and got tired of thinking how can I fit a run and WOD into a Sunday?
I then moved onto CF football. This hit the strength issue. Heavy lifts almost every day. Lasted for a month or so. I began to think, I'm not playing college football anymore, no need to train for it.
I found Mil Athlete in Jan of this year. It works for me, one workout a day, strength, endurance, and work capacity cycles. I workout Monday-Friday and get to enjoy the weekends. Strength is up, running is faster, resting HR is way down, joints feel good, and the wife is happy I don't live for the gym.
Point is Get Selected is what it was designed to be, a tool to prepare you for SFAS. It worked for me and many others before and after me, but like WM said use what works for you. As you can see, it will take some time to find what you like and all programs have their ups and downs. Major thing to take from this, train train train like your life depends on it...because it does.
11Ber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 12:56   #24
Foot Drill
Asset

x

Last edited by Foot Drill; 01-28-2011 at 11:39.
Foot Drill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 13:08   #25
Foot Drill
Asset

x

Last edited by Foot Drill; 01-28-2011 at 11:38.
Old 08-06-2010, 17:09   #26
furry
Asset

Although I apparently have no idea what I'm talking about, I'll dispense anyways...

If you're trying to up numbers in a single event like pushups, situps, etc. try working Tabata intervals. If you google them you'll come up with a great description plus all the research and supporting data.

A Tabata is simply 20 seconds of work, followed by 10 seconds of rest, repeated 8 times for a total of 4 minutes. You can do an entire workout of these with a Tabata of pushups, then situps, then pullups, etc. Or, lets say you pushups are flagging, just tag on a Tabata set of pushups at the end of your workout once or twice a week. If you don't see improvement I'll buy you a ham sandwich.
Old 08-06-2010, 17:31   #27
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by furry View Post
Although I apparently have no idea what I'm talking about, I'll dispense anyways....
This is not the place to test the patience of those who have previously addressed you and your credentials.

Go do PT.

Crip

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 22:46   #28
Aceshigh
Asset

Foot, I do alot of biking in my routine and I don't see the allure to biking in a pack but I'll give it a try once or twice next week. I'll give the should exercise a try to but I've been having some great advances with the basics (shoulder press, military press) all weighted of course.

What I really want to incorporate is more swimming, I'm told it's better for the joints then biking and even at my age there are weeks my joints are hurting something fierce.
Aceshigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 23:25   #29
Foot Drill
Asset

x

Last edited by Foot Drill; 01-28-2011 at 11:37.
Old 08-07-2010, 05:32   #30
dmgedgoods
Guerrilla

"Get Selected" and the SFAS preparation book from the recruiter are treating me well. I am not the fastest, and not the strongest, but knowing this is making me push harder every time. In between rucking and running, I am hitting the bike for lack of a pool. Everything else I do is focused on what I know I need to improve...everything. Being conscious of my down time has helped mitigate injuries.

Besides working the muscles, I constantly try to work my mind. College has allowed me to open up the headspace a bit. NDD has posted some tremendous stuff in the Mindset forum. Reading, reading some more, reading again is a great way to unwind and get the brain muscle going.

My wife is behind me 100%, as is the rest of my family...that alone motivates me the most.

Mack