Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Bear Pit > PT/ H2H

Old 12-16-2012, 12:08   #1
Bechorg
Quiet Professional

UBRR PT Test

First off, to whoever came up with this INCREDIBLY accurate standard to measure overall fitness, kudos to you. I will tell you that this wipes the floor with the Army PT test because one who appears fit can train for the minimum in those events easily and be in bad shape. (Example would be your powerlifting type that hasn't ran more than 4 miles in his life). While unlikely, I hope that this replaces the regular PT test Army wide someday. Unfortunately it is somewhat more resource intensive and takes much longer to administer, and does not take into account age.

For those not aware of it it can be found at http://blog.refactortactical.com/spe...y-round-robin/

Looking at the numbers, simply passing this test with a 900 ensures that guys are in decent shape. If you are pushing scoring 1300-1400 you are an absolute monster. Anyone working crossfit, HIIT workouts, and long distance running with interval work should approach that number. I think if you look at the guys with those scores you will see an elite soldier capable of short high intensity activities and long runs/rucks as well.

Now that the test is filtering into alot of different organizations, I would like to ask what people are seeing. High scores? Failures of people considered fit by Army standards?

If you found this via search and want to train for it, check out Stew Smith's workout plan and EBOOK here: http://www.stewsmith.com/linkpages/UBRR.htm

Last edited by Bechorg; 12-16-2012 at 12:23.
Bechorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 17:09   #2
SomethingWitty
SF Candidate

I tried this test today without the rope climb and shuttle run.

The muscle work is plenty do-able, but the 5 mile run kicked my ass. Those first two miles are fine, but if you are not conditioned for it, the last 3 miles are when your legs tell you "I do not want to be doing this."

I will be trying this again this week with a 5 mile ruck instead of the run.

Last edited by SomethingWitty; 12-21-2012 at 17:17.
SomethingWitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 23:49   #3
Dozer523
BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomethingWitty View Post
I tried this test today without the rope climb and shuttle run.

The muscle work is plenty do-able, but the 5 mile run kicked my ass. Those first two miles are fine, but if you are not conditioned for it, the last 3 miles are when your legs tell you "I do not want to be doing this."

I will be trying this again this week with a 5 mile ruck instead of the run.
Then you didn't actually try the test, didja? BTW you don't listen to your muscles, you listen to your heart.

The ruck should be the EIB 12 miler maybe the next day . . .nah
Need to add a Swim -- say 500 meters untimed
RIF boards are gonna love this. Say bye bye to cooks, mechanics, medics (real medics not 18Ds) PAC pogues etc, etc. Solves the fat-boy problem too, a week before the APFT folks will be anorexic!

I like how the minimum is 100 points. Kinda gives credit where credit is due.

Last edited by Dozer523; 12-26-2012 at 18:36.
Dozer523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 05:42   #4
frostfire
Area Commander

my math must have left much to be desired or something...

Let's see
"Pass all events with at least the minimum score, and Receive at least 1100 total points from all the events combined."

9 events, 1 pass/fail. Looks like 800 min score to me.

Only managed 977 without much prep. Kipp up is my favorite since I do wiper blades for fun

"So we can suffer, and in suffering we know who we are" David Goggins

"Aide-toi, Dieu t'aidera " Jehanne, la Pucelle

Der, der Geld verliert, verliert einiges;
Der, der einen Freund verliert, verliert viel mehr;
Der, der das Vertrauen verliert, verliert alles.

INDNJC
frostfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 13:06   #5
Bechorg
Quiet Professional

Word on the street is you may see this in certain MOS's during the Q- and a good score to shoot for is 1200-1300. Get to it , boys!
Old 12-25-2012, 13:11   #6
Bechorg
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocIllinois View Post
Performed this test this morning. Only real "trouble" was the rope climb, which I've always done in only ACUs. Made it up fast but I felt, and probably looked, like a first timer...

Next time the ruck will be first, or with lots of hills. More of Dozer's "heart" stuff might be required then.
The test is usually done with a 20LB vest on. Don't be a hero, use your legs! Dont extend your arms more than half way above your head, and push off with your legs, working that cinch the whole time. Go for speed too, you don't want to be hanging on that rope for too long.

As for the five mile run, start working in longer runs around 7-10 miles at 9 minute paces once a week. This will get your mileage up, and also put in two four to six mile runs per week at near your top speed. Don't train for a five mile run by running five miles and calling it quits, push it further and be patient.
Old 12-25-2012, 21:41   #7
Sapper124
SF Candidate

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bechorg View Post
Word on the street is you may see this in certain MOS's during the Q- and a good score to shoot for is 1200-1300. Get to it , boys!
It has been seen! My IODA administrated this to Alphas, Charlies and Echos. I believe the bravos were in the field making big rocks into smaller ones at the time it was given and the Deltas were tending to their patients.

Rumor mill has it that IODA's are going away and that the pipeline is changing (as everyone experiences, 3 changes thus far in my time with SWC) so I am unsure what role the UBRR will have for future classes but it was a good assessment.
Sapper124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 13:50   #8
Scimitar
Area Commander

Why not substitute Sit-ups with Sandbag Get-ups.....WAY more functional.

Easy to also test the all important Metabolic Conditioning by introducing a cardio element into some of the stamina elements.
i.e. - Bench Press + Sit-ups + shuttle run 5 rnds for time.

It feels like some of the element mix is redundant, high rep dips mixed with high rep shoulder width pushups mixed with high rep Bench Press
(14 reps to get 125 points to reach minimum pass)

Sit-ups seem WAY over scored. Seeing as 75 reps in 60 seconds is pretty achievable as a max score and scores 200 points, were as most of the other elements realistic max scores get around 160.

And Dips seem a little under scored

S

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp"
-- Robert Browning

"Hooah! Pushing thru the shit til Daisies grow, Sir"
-- Me

"Malo mori quam foedari"
"Death before Dishonour"
-- Family Coat-of-Arms Maxim

"Mārohirohi! Kia Kaha!"
"Be strong! Drive-on!"
-- Māori saying

Last edited by Scimitar; 12-26-2012 at 13:58.
Scimitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 18:01   #9
Aequitas
Quiet Professional

by all means

Take the test and see how you do... It's a great test and when administered properly you'll be smoked....good luck

Last edited by Aequitas; 01-21-2013 at 16:15.
Aequitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 20:16   #10
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scimitar View Post
<<SNIP>>
The test works for the organization for which it was created based on what they wanted tested.

If you have any suggestions I am sure if you enlisted, applied to the unit and were successful in training they would listen...

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 21:09   #11
Jgood
Quiet Professional

you will get the joy of doing this test if you go to SLC
There is only one tactical principal which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wounds, death and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time.
Gen. George S. Patton, Jr.
Jgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:23   #12
shortbrownguy
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bechorg View Post
If you are selected and show up to the 18E course out of shape, the UBRR will be the least of your worries. PT standards have been set, and we intend to maintain them.

SBG sends
Old 01-21-2013, 11:48   #13
Beef
Quiet Professional

I am glad to see this taking off. When I joined SF in the '70's, it was a five event test (which was difficult to train for if you weren't around the horizontal ladder and trip, stumble and fall course.) The run was just 2 miles. Then, of course, we changed to the event course, following the Marine Corps' example substituting push-ups for pull ups. As stated above, a poor indicator of overall fitness. The UBRR seems to have it nailed. A swim event would complete it, as Dozer stated. I think I'll start working on this for my fitness program for my 56 year old retired ass. I am going to water down the minimums and punt the rope climb ( no rope and I hated them anyway.) And if I have an MI, PS.com is relieved of all liability! LOL!
Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 19:56   #14
Jgood
Quiet Professional

UBRR completed this week and it was cold outside lol. if your headed to SLC get ready for it.
There is only one tactical principal which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wounds, death and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time.
Gen. George S. Patton, Jr.
Jgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 20:04   #15
Keenan
SF Candidate

Update for those interested: UBRR is being administered by the remaining IODA's and SOCM is now administering it as well. Although it is only a diagnostic at this level and isn't going to throw you out of the pipeline for botching it It is highly recommended by all (cadre and peers) that you don't sand bag anything.

You'd be surprised how some impressions that had been made in my SFAS class (05-12) have already eliminated a few form the Q.

BTW - The test is doable and if you aren't smoked at the end you didn't gas through enough!
Keenan is offline   Reply With Quote