Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > TMC 14 > Medical Pearls Of Wisdom

Old 02-23-2014, 11:51   #1
Stilts
Asset

Cervical Fusion Waiver?

I'm afraid I know the answer, but want to know for sure so I will ask: can a waiver be given for a fusion at the C6-C7 level? I am already serving but it looks to me like this will disqualify me from SF according to the medical regulations. The Doc who performed the surgery has fully released me to lift weights, run, and even said I could do The Bataan heavy if I want.
Stilts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 18:30   #2
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

What did your recruiter and the MEPS Dooctor tell you?

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 20:13   #3
Stilts
Asset

The injury was LOD and I have not spoken to a recruiter or a MEPS Doctor. I am in the Guard, so the surgery was done by a civilian. A medic in my Unit said I may have to go before a Medical Board, but the surgery was in October and I have heard nothing else from them.
Old 02-23-2014, 20:20   #4
sinjefe
Quiet Professional

Recommend having your cervix removed entirely.

Old 02-23-2014, 20:28   #5
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stilts View Post
The injury was LOD and I have not spoken to a recruiter or a MEPS Doctor. I am in the Guard, so the surgery was done by a civilian. A medic in my Unit said I may have to go before a Medical Board, but the surgery was in October and I have heard nothing else from them.
I think it isn't going to happen, and you are not even going to be able to get on Airborne status, but it doesn't matter what we think.

Best of luck.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

Old 02-23-2014, 22:09   #6
Max_Tab
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinjefe View Post
Recommend having your cervix removed entirely.

Lmao that was my first thought.

It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from its government.
Thomas Paine
Max_Tab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 06:50   #7
Eagle5US
Quiet Professional

AR 40-501 Ch2-29 (as referenced applicable in Chapter 5), paragraph d.

d. History of congenital fusion (756.15), involving more than two vertebral bodies does not meet the standard. Any
surgical fusion of spinal vertebrae (P81.0) does not meet the standard.

Ain't no one getting out of this world alive. All you can do is try to have some choice in the way you go. Prepare yourself (and your affairs), and when your number is up, die on your feet fighting rather than on your knees. And make the SOBs pay dearly."
The Reaper-3 Sep 04
Eagle5US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 09:26   #8
Stilts
Asset

Eagle5US, I have read the AR and I know that I'm probably scewed. I also read that as TR noted, I am disqualified from Airborne without a waiver. I only asked because I had been training hard since early 2011 until I herniated the disc in June last year and I don't just want to give up. I understand that getting a waiver for any spinal injury going into this kind of work is probably next to impossible, just thought someone on here would know if there is a chance.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:50   #9
Eagle5US
Quiet Professional

There is always a chance, no matter how small .
If you weren't going to listen to the answers provided here unless they were what you wanted to hear, then why waste everyone's time by asking?

You should ask yourself if it truly is a smart thing to do, absorbing the opening shock of a parachute or that sudden stop at the end of your ABN OPN with a fusion in your neck.
The reason the regulations state you do not meet the standard is because people before you also felt they could "do it anyway", and were wrong. Sometimes at tremendous cost.

Ain't no one getting out of this world alive. All you can do is try to have some choice in the way you go. Prepare yourself (and your affairs), and when your number is up, die on your feet fighting rather than on your knees. And make the SOBs pay dearly."
The Reaper-3 Sep 04
Eagle5US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 19:14   #10
Stilts
Asset

I apologize for wasting anyone's time. I have visited this forum for a long time and have huge respect for everyone here. I knew asking here would result in no b.s. answers from the people who have actual experience with it. Thank you for taking the time to lend advice and for your service.
Old 04-21-2014, 18:12   #11
WarriorDiplomat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
What did your recruiter and the MEPS Dooctor tell you?

TR
I broke my neck and had a total disk replacement at the C6-7 instead of a fusion only lost 10% mobility tops but alot better than the 30+% I have lost due to pain. Got it done at Walter Reed talk to the nuerologist
WarriorDiplomat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 18:18   #12
WarriorDiplomat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stilts View Post
I apologize for wasting anyone's time. I have visited this forum for a long time and have huge respect for everyone here. I knew asking here would result in no b.s. answers from the people who have actual experience with it. Thank you for taking the time to lend advice and for your service.
BTW what symptoms are you having? a herniated disk is not spinal cord damage. I have been a GB for 11 years and have 5 herniated disk in my neck to one degree or another but the one I had replaced was making me unable to do pushups or even put my elbows down without intense pain. If the symptoms are so bad you need surgery then have it.
Old 04-21-2014, 20:26   #13
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorDiplomat View Post
I broke my neck and had a total disk replacement at the C6-7 instead of a fusion only lost 10% mobility tops but alot better than the 30+% I have lost due to pain. Got it done at Walter Reed talk to the nuerologist
It isn't a matter of making him better, he is trying to get into SF.

As Eagle said, AR 40-501, Chapter 2-29 (as referenced applicable in Chapter 5), Paragraph D will not allow him to go SF without a waiver, which is almost certainly not going to be granted.

Quote:
d. History of congenital fusion (756.15), involving more than two vertebral bodies does not meet the standard. Any surgical fusion of spinal vertebrae (P81.0) does not meet the standard.
Soldiers who are already SF are not required to meet the entry physical standards.

TR

Old 04-22-2014, 03:58   #14
CDRODA396
Quiet Professional

A little while back I tried to help a friend of mine (a CPT) get a waiver for a similar back issue. The guy was the #4 Cadet in the Nation in ROTC, hurt his back just before coming on active duty, served as a Combat Engineer for his first assignment, Sapper School, OEF deployment doing route clearance along HWY 1 et al, scoring in the 330's on the extended APFT Scale. Letters of recommendation from 10th Group guys he worked with at Carson, including the Group Surgeon if I recall correctly. Letter of recommendation from me...all around super guy.

NO waiver.

Last edited by CDRODA396; 04-22-2014 at 04:01.
CDRODA396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 15:59   #15
WarriorDiplomat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
It isn't a matter of making him better, he is trying to get into SF.

As Eagle said, AR 40-501, Chapter 2-29 (as referenced applicable in Chapter 5), Paragraph D will not allow him to go SF without a waiver, which is almost certainly not going to be granted.

Soldiers who are already SF are not required to meet the entry physical standards.

TR
I completely understand my situation is different already being SF completely understood if I had had a fusion I would be tracking but a TDR is not a fusion and may allow for a provision.

I am kind of curious why no TDR instead of a fusion I assume his disk was damaged and not his C's.

Last edited by WarriorDiplomat; 04-22-2014 at 16:10.