Old 08-19-2013, 06:11   #1
aubreyna
Asset

Prior Service Marine

I am prior service 0311 (infantry rifleman) Marine that conducted two deployments to Iraq. I have been off active duty for 3 1/2 years. Recent College graduate. Still have 6 month in the IRR. My recruiters are telling me that 18x is the only option for PS. Which is fine, because that is what I want.

I do however have a question, I am being told that I will have to complete all of OSUT. Seems like a waste of time and energy to train me in an MOS I already went to war in twice. I will do it with a smile on my face, but I was just wondering if any PS marine infantry have had to do this and what to expect. Any QP input will be much appreciated as well.
aubreyna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 06:42   #2
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

You need an army MOS. that is why they send you there. They may have a shorter PS version as we had it when everyone was in processed and assigned to a training company at Bening. It is the Army not he CORPS so this time is good to reprogram your brain........

People will get tired of hearing well in the Corps we did it that way so Please go there and just learn the army way. Just a thought......

Get your contract, get orders and get into training...
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:14   #3
blue02hd
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by aubreyna View Post
Seems like a waste of time and energy to train me in an MOS I already went to war in twice.
Only twice?

Verified Tax Payer and Future Sex Symbol
blue02hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:04   #4
Beef
Quiet Professional

In past years, the Army has referred to an MOS equivalency chart and recognized that 0311=11B, 0341=11C and just did a lateral move into that MOS. Marine Corps infantry tactics and unit TO&Es are a little different, but its not "night and day." All of that being said, IDK what the current policy is regarding MOS recognition and transfers. I have a difficult time thinking that someone who was in Falujah would need some "retraining." I don't know where you were or when, just an example. Your profile says 1st Bn., 3d Mar Div. You left something out- what regiment? One thing that you need to accept and that is that you are and will always be a "Jarhead." Just laugh and roll with it. Otherwise, you've already lost the war.
Force Recon Assn #2100
2d Recon Bn Assn Life Member

"An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last."

"So you have enemies. Good. You must have stood up for something, sometime in your life."

Winston S. Churchill
Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:15   #5
aubreyna
Asset

I am more then willing to accept it. I have full faith in my ability to be screamed at, and push ups have never hurt anyone. I think I am looking for is advice on how I should approach OSUT.
Should I
A) Go through the motions, and get to the next evolution?
B) Attempt to be a leader? (I was a squad leader in the Corps, and in combat, and though the USMC is not the Army, I believe I know a thing or two about being a PVT and being a warrior)
C) Expect to be treated differently because I was prior service and infantry?

I deployed to Haditha in 07, Fallujah 08-09. First deployment was real, second was an Iraqi babysitting/ pass out candy operation. I by no mean think that I am an expert in the field of infantry. And will look at my time in OSUT exactly how it should be, Training to be in the army, I am just attempting to grasp how I should prepare for it.

I also acknowledge that this is the first step on a long road that progressively gets harder. I believe that I am physically ready for the challenges ahead, I my mental outlook on this path is that I will not give up, and that pain, sweat, and sleep deprivation is the price to pay to belong to the community. OSUT is jus they main thought right now, because it is the first step of many
Old 08-19-2013, 10:21   #6
aubreyna
Asset

Your profile says 1st Bn., 3d Mar Div. You left something out- what regiment? One thing that you need to accept and that is that you are and will always be a "Jarhead." Just laugh and roll with it. Otherwise, you've already lost the war.[/QUOTE]

I was 1st BN 3rd Reg, 3rd MARDIV....I know I ll be a "Jarhead"...I have the giant EGA stupid stamped on my arm to remind me if I ever forget. I grew up in the Army, and Am I actually in Fayetteville. I graduated from Methodist University. I also did 3 years of Army ROTC. So, hopefully I ve broken some of the major Jarheadness....I never say Oorah and only occasionally look for "go fasters" and let a out a disgruntled "yut"
Old 08-19-2013, 10:31   #7
Streck-Fu
Area Commander

Please always call them the Head, Geedunk, and Galley...

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Streck-Fu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 12:23   #8
blue02hd
Quiet Professional

Just my .02 from your responses on this thread to some of our other esteemed members.

You have used the words "Go through the motions", "attempt to be a leader", and "expect to be treated differently" in describing what you believe is your path to being a Quiet Professional. You describe 2007 as the last deployment that did not include the words "babysitting" or "passing out candy".

And of course I am very curious how you believe MOS training would be a waste of time, when you admittedly acknowledge there are a few points of Army culture that you are still looking to master.

As a currently serving TL with his SECOND former Marine Corp TM SGT, I would like to know if you think the training scheduled for you is a joke, truly beneath you? Perhaps I should ask my TM SGT? I'm sure his response would be very "predictable". I know what my former TM SGT would say, Lynde was an angry Irishman who had a way with words. I am confident both will say that you need to demonstrate that you are better than the average bear, and that you belong in the top % of your OSUT, SFAS, or Q Course class. Just food for thought, since you have asked for our opinion. Of course, I could be wrong.

Good luck in the course. If you truly want to be a QP, you would look forward to the extra time to excel, show you belong here, maybe help a teammate in need. When you succeed then I will look forward to raising a glass with you. Marines, I have found, make very "strong" TM SGTS.

YMMV.

Old 08-19-2013, 16:30   #9
hotshot
Quiet Professional

Crossing to the other side..

Quote:
Originally Posted by aubreyna View Post
I am more then willing to accept it. I have full faith in my ability to be screamed at, and push ups have never hurt anyone. I think I am looking for is advice on how I should approach OSUT.
Should I
B) Attempt to be a leader? (I was a squad leader in the Corps, and in combat, and though the USMC is not the Army, I believe I know a thing or two about being a PVT and being a warrior)
C) Expect to be treated differently because I was prior service and infantry?

Mis dos centavos,

Never "just go through the motions", use the time wisely to better yourself as a soldier. Be creative, you will probably spend a lot of time learning things you have already been taught; use that time to further your existing skills if you can.

You will be more of a leader than anyone else there more than likely. Take charge in the absence of orders, I expect that you will spend copious amounts of time mentoring the new recruits on simple military tasks.

The Drill Sergeants will likely notice that and give you guidance on what they expect from you at that point. I would expect to be held to a higher standard than the rest of the "recruits".

Good luck in your pursuit,

CH
hotshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 17:54   #10
ghp95134
Guerrilla

No Ghosting Allowed

I was a former USAF E-4 when I entered the army in 1979. Regardless of my inexperience in real military matters, the drill sergeants expected me, as prior service -- and older recruit -- to lead. They gave me opportunities to succeed and groomed me. I applied for OCS and while waiting after graduating OSUT, was made drill corporal and Additional Duty NCO.

You, with REAL military experience, will be a magnet for leadership responsibilities and drill sergeants will quickly evaluate you. I understand the desire to sometimes "ghost" ... but your talents will be quickly noticed and utilized. You will not be allowed to ignore your responsibilities.

No ghosting allowed!

Every Army school that I've attended had its share of Force Recon or other Marines. They *always* achieved 110% and graduated top or near top of the class. I remember a time at Benning when some Force Recon troops hung a "HOO AH" banner from the cross-arms of the 250 Ft. tower.

Get in, get dirty, get recognized.

--ghp

------------
"And all this science, I don't understand. It's just my job five days a week" -- Rocket Man
ghp95134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 19:50   #11
Beef
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by aubreyna
"I am more then willing to accept it. I have full faith in my ability to be screamed at, and push ups have never hurt anyone. I think I am looking for is advice on how I should approach OSUT.
Should I
C) Expect to be treated differently because I was prior service and infantry? "

I personally cannot believe that you have these questions! The Marine Corps has obviously changed since I wore the EGA ('74-78. '86-88)! You are aspiring to become qualified and join a very select brotherhood in which leadership, excellence, setting the example and imparting knowledge is the job description. There is no cruise control. You should be singled out as a leader based on your knowledge, physical conditioning, bearing and example. Whether your Drill Sgts or whatever Doggies call them, know your history or not. You need to approach OSUT like your life depends on it.

You will find SF, if you get that far is full of "Jarheads." And they do not want to be embarassed by someone skating through anything. I have USMC and a grim reaper tattooed on my forearm. During my Phase I initial PT Test, "Mad Max" and Tom TT noticed it. Mad Max: "How much did that tattoo cost you, boy?" Ten bucks in Hong Kong. "WRRRONG, YYYOOUUU AIN"T EVEN STARTED PAYING FOR IT!" True enough. But I laughed and OORAHed my ass off the whole time I was paying. So you need to totally reload and remember, for all practical purposes, you are standing on the yellow footprints in civilian clothes. You have to build your reputation all over and it starts here and now.

Semper Fi,

Beef
Force Recon Assn #2100
2d Recon Bn Assn Life Member

"An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last."

"So you have enemies. Good. You must have stood up for something, sometime in your life."

Winston S. Churchill
Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 20:58   #12
blue02hd
Quiet Professional

ghp95134,

Stay in your lane and follow the forum rules. You have not experienced selection, and should not provide advice on Special Forces Assessment and Selection to our guests. I actually find your advice detrimental in this particular case.

Currently in the Selection process are QP's with up to 8 to 10 combat rotations who are tasked to assess and provide approval for the selection of hundreds of candidates per class. They have a very defined process of determining who will be successful and who will not. Aspiring candidates with "entitlement" attitudes (based on a single combat rotation for example) do very poorly. All things being equal most will never make it across the stage. Attitude, injury, or a realization that QP's occasionally are tasked to "Pass out candy" will take it's toll. When one pounds his chest his chances become even worse. Physical stamina may get you through for a while, but it's ones mental flexibility that will garner success in this field.

Unless your commissioned, don't rely on 3 years of ARMY ROTC to impress anyone outside of high-school. I really can't believe you even mentioned it.

Aubreyna, no one owes you anything here except honest advice. The best advice you can take from this thread comes from BEEF, "your a civilian standing on yellow footprints, and you have to build your reputation all over again, and it started here and now."

Post Less, Read More, and as I said before, good luck with the path you choose to commit to.

Old 08-20-2013, 10:56   #13
ghp95134
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue02hd View Post
ghp95134,

Stay in your lane and follow the forum rules. You have not experienced selection, and should not provide advice on Special Forces Assessment and Selection to our guests. I actually find your advice detrimental in this particular case.
Roger that re SFAS. Mine was advice pertaining to prior service attending OSUT as was mentioned. But I will stack arms and apologize for the detrimental advice.

------------
"And all this science, I don't understand. It's just my job five days a week" -- Rocket Man

Last edited by ghp95134; 08-20-2013 at 11:00.
ghp95134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:11   #14
18C4V
Quiet Professional

The army must have changed something the last few years or maybe it was Guard specific. I know a bunch of Marines who came over to our unit some with huge breaks in service who did not have to repeat OSUT to get an MOS.

My two 18C's as prior service Marines had breaks in service and did not have to do OSUT. One of them is on this board so hopefully he can chime in.
18C4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 13:59   #15
aubreyna
Asset

I think the issue that I am having hard time grasping is the basic is designed to break down an individual to create a foundation that understands the purpose of the military.

Now of course Parris Island will differ because PI is only designed to create a basic Marine. OSUT is designed to create a basic rifleman. I would assume that having prior service infantry would interfere with the DS progress. Now I am obviously wrong with the comments from above. I by no mean, believe I "rate" anything extra or that I am can not learn more of the basics.