Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Early Bird

Old 03-02-2019, 10:26   #1
Golf1echo
Area Commander

Location: Western Carolina in the rainforest,4000' along the Eastern Cont. Div.
Commemorating the 10th Mountain Div. of WWII

Yesterday was a quintessential Winters day up at Ski Cooper, very appropriate to honor the Soldiers of the 10th Mountain Division of WWII, members of the OSS, the Norwegian 99th Battalion as well as others involved with Mountain Warfare through out our history. A nice 14"dusting of some of the finest snow I can remember accentuated the days activities.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10th MT Div Monument to the fallen.jpg (84.7 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg 99th monument 2019.jpg (96.5 KB, 65 views)

Essayons

By Dand

"In the school of the wilds,there is no graduation day"Horace Kephart
Golf1echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 03:37   #2
glebo
Quiet Professional

Very nice. The snow was very appropriate...
Old 03-05-2019, 09:14   #3
Golf1echo
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by glebo View Post
Very nice. The snow was very appropriate...
Understand not everyone loves snow, for those of us that do it was amazing, cleared up briefly as the events took place.

https://99battalion.org/

https://www.99battalion.org/index_files/Page1452.htm
An interesting perspective of the thread the 99th wove through WWII from it's recruitment of an all Norwegian unit, assigned to the 10th Mountain Division at Camp Hale, Colorado, fighting through Europe in places like Malmedy ( Battle of the Bulge), being part of "Wild Bill" Donovan's counter intel ops keeping Germans and logistics in Norway as Allied Forces fought through into Germany and finally landing in Norway after the war ended to make sure all Germans and 70,000 Russian save laborers ( many wanted to stay in Norway) were put onto trains back to Germany and Russia, dealing with collaborators and finally liberating Norway for the Norwegians.

Essayons

By Dand

Last edited by Golf1echo; 03-05-2019 at 13:14.
Old 03-06-2019, 09:27   #4
Golf1echo
Area Commander

Avalanche season

With the high snow fall in central Colorado and avalanches making news thought some might like to see some of the loads hanging on those mountains.

Edit: interesting article about the same area regarding the subsequent avalanches that occurred ...
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.new...news/amp/27785
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Avalanche Snow 1.jpg (46.8 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg Avalanche Snow 2.jpg (104.2 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg Avalanche Snow 3.jpg (66.5 KB, 22 views)

Essayons

By Dand

Last edited by Golf1echo; 03-24-2019 at 17:29.
Old 03-07-2019, 08:11   #5
glebo
Quiet Professional

That's a lot of snow to come crashing down. Yeah, I like snow...ion pictures. Grew up in that stuff. But I got to go into a warm house at the end of the day.

Living 24/7 in it...different story. As I'm sure many of us have had some cold wx training. It can really suck
Old 03-07-2019, 10:11   #6
Old Dog New Trick
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf1echo View Post
With the high snow fall in central Colorado and avalanches making news thought some might like to see some of the loads hanging on those mountains.
Awesome! Annual spring break ski trip to Colorado with my son next week. No back county for me anymore ‘bad knees’ I stick to the groomed runs while my 12y/o chases the Black Diamond runs.

Oh and Winter Warfare training wasn’t all suck.

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” (Sir Edmund Burke)
Old Dog New Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 14:43   #7
Golf1echo
Area Commander

When we were little we used to say "Winter Rules"...kind of a motto. Where my house is in the South we had a lot of 33f and rain not much fun in that and it was uncommon to get people to join me out in the snow.

Sounds like you will have a lot of fun, it was the best snow I can remember. The weather can be very different on the Eastern Slope VS the High Country, I 70 has been problematic and the plows are overwhelmed, if you get into Denver and see a window to get up into the mountains take it! They have been setting off Avalanches along 70 closing the highway for hours. If your heading down South and over , 24 hasn't been so bad with the exception of Battle Mountain. They are saying avalanche danger is at a historic high, we have received 130% of annual snow fall and it's snowing in Leadville now and every day this week it looks like. The images were taken on the East side of Independence Pass which closes over Winter...the only other person I saw back there was CAIC Colo. Avalanche Information and Control... neither of us lingered back in there.

At Camp Hale main, they hadn't plowed the parking for a while now so spent Sunday helping the folks exiting the Hut System get out...everything got very wet so was glad my sleep system dried the gear out by morning. Snow shoes with tails sunk about 3' deep before a purchase and venturing away from camp you could end up chest deep if you weren't stepping softly. Nobody to bother you though

Edit: This site can save you a lot of hassle traveling, you can Taylor it to the areas you travel and get real time alerts - https://www.codot.gov/travel
Attached Images
File Type: jpg G1 POD Camp Hale 19.jpg (28.1 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Camp Hale 19b.jpg (36.1 KB, 19 views)

Essayons

By Dand

Last edited by Golf1echo; 03-07-2019 at 17:05.
Old 03-08-2019, 07:16   #8
Old Dog New Trick
Quiet Professional

G1e thanks for the link. Coming up from Texas haven’t figured the exact route yet but that website will be a great resource.

Now I just need find someone in the Colorado Springs area to adopt a family for Saturday night.

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” (Sir Edmund Burke)
Old Dog New Trick is offline   Reply With Quote