Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Special Forces Questions

Old 11-07-2017, 10:06   #31
Astronomy
Quiet Professional

Probably. My first SF assignment was to 1-10 and, at the time I arrived (1980), they hadn't seen a live SF E-5 in quite awhile. So long that I got treated like a new puppy found under a Christmas tree. Had an E-4 "S" qualified guy showed up, they'd have probably taken turns feeding him.

At that time, 1-10 teams were full of senior guys. Teams chock full of deeply experienced Vietnam era SF E-7s. Guys from all the Groups. Guys who knew how to schmooze choice assignment to Bavaria through Mrs. Palmer.

Meanwhile, most of my graduating SFQC class were filling billets at Bragg. With the exception of myself and another E-5 who went down to Panama, every junior Ranger tabbed NCO in my class went straight to SWC after graduation. Drafted as cadre instructors before they ever saw their first ODA. If you had just come from a Ranger Batt or other Airborne Infantry unit, you went to Phase I or Phase II. Even if you were only an E-5. The schoolhouse cadre bench at that time was not very deep.

That was 1980. Three AD Groups. SF was short of experienced mid grade NCOs on teams and enjoyed little support or patronage from DA. The late 70's were a time of existential crisis for Army Special Forces. There were powers on-high that wanted the organization to disappear forever.

Half the folks you'd meet in the Army were absolutely sure that SF had been disbanded after Vietnam. Or didn't know that we existed.

During the early Reagan Era, that began to change, and lots of newly minted E-5s & E-6s started getting pumped onto teams. Especially as we became our own branch & filled the new Groups (1st & 3rd).

Last edited by Astronomy; 11-07-2017 at 13:58.
Astronomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 20:41   #32
Joker
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last hard class View Post
Well, we used to pin the rank on before the actual promotion. So there were some E-4's on our teams.

LHC
In A-1/7 we had a bunch. I wore mosquito wings on a team.
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 21:17   #33
mojaveman
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
I was an E-4 upon SFQC graduation.

Did you have a break in service after your first enlistment? Just curious.
mojaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 12:03   #34
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojaveman View Post
Did you have a break in service after your first enlistment? Just curious.
Yes I did. Spent three years in the 1-505 ABN INF, got out for two years and came back in. After a two year break was in Phase One less than three days after arriving on Ft. Bragg.

Jan, 1983, I re-enlisted.
SFQC SGM told me that I'd be in the "next class" that I think started in Feb or March, 1983. He told me I'd be in PT for the next month to get ready. I told him I could do 200 push-ups, 200 sit-ups and then run a sub five minute mile. I was ready. He smiled and said "If you can in process in 3 days I will get you into the next class."

After a two year break I was in Phase One three days later. (Easily proven by my records.)
Old 11-12-2017, 12:43   #35
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Yes I did. Spent three years in the 1-505 ABN INF, got out for two years and came back in. After a two year break was in Phase One less than three days after arriving on Ft. Bragg.

SFQC SGM told me that I'd be in the "next class" that I think started in Feb or March, 1983. He told me I'd be in PT for the next month to get ready. I told him I could do 200 push-ups, 200 sit-ups and then run a sub five minute mile. I was ready. He smiled and said "If you can in process in 3 days I will get you into the next class."

After a two year break I was in Phase One three days later. (Easily proven by my records.)
Such a show off

People that were set on what they wanted and prepared succeed.
Wonder how these new troops would do without people feeding every step of the process to them.

Good job TS. You knew what you wanted and were ready to learn what they taught.

Last edited by SF_BHT; 11-12-2017 at 12:46.
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 15:07   #36
Scimitar
Area Commander

Quote:

I always meant to ask TS, what did you get up to on your 2 year sabbatical?

S

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp"
-- Robert Browning

"Hooah! Pushing thru the shit til Daisies grow, Sir"
-- Me

"Malo mori quam foedari"
"Death before Dishonour"
-- Family Coat-of-Arms Maxim

"Mārohirohi! Kia Kaha!"
"Be strong! Drive-on!"
-- Māori saying
Scimitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 15:47   #37
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

I cut steel in a factory, worked out, ran, dated women, ran some more, dated more, kick-boxed and ran even more. Trained with the city SWAT team for fun and taught them advanced rifle marksmanship. (I was already a SF trained sniper.) Used to go on ride-alongs’ all the time with the SWAT SGT.

Pissed off the union where I worked by not joining and busting the union required work quota’s. If the union said you could only cut twenty-five pieces an hour, I’d cut forty-five pieces an hour. Did that every day. Had my work checked once a week by a union idiot to ensure I was not cutting corners or doing crappy work.
Seriously pissed them off to the point they threatened me, big mistake.

Was a very amusing time. Made great money but work sucked. Wanted to be back outside. Also missed the camaraderie of the infantry. The only “friends” I had working at the factory were the vets. They all said they wished they could do it again, go back into the military but all had families to support and made great money doing factory work.

I then met a former Special Forces soldier and had a long chat with him. Made up my mind right there I was going back in…… actually had to cross state lines to find a recruiter that had not filled his quota for prior service recruits…… signed up and the rest was history.
Old 11-12-2017, 20:29   #38
Scimitar
Area Commander

I'd say it sounds like you had as much fun out of the Army as you did in, but we all know that isn't close to accurate.

Thanks for sharing TS.

S

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp"
-- Robert Browning

"Hooah! Pushing thru the shit til Daisies grow, Sir"
-- Me

"Malo mori quam foedari"
"Death before Dishonour"
-- Family Coat-of-Arms Maxim

"Mārohirohi! Kia Kaha!"
"Be strong! Drive-on!"
-- Māori saying
Scimitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 18:26   #39
Chucko
Guerrilla

Quote:

Pissed off the union where I worked by not joining and busting the union required work quota’s. If the union said you could only cut twenty-five pieces an hour, I’d cut forty-five pieces an hour. Did that every day. Had my work checked once a week by a union idiot to ensure I was not cutting corners or doing crappy work.
Seriously pissed them off to the point they threatened me, big mistake.
Hmmm. Don't like to play with others. Check
Old 11-13-2017, 19:40   #40
Noah Werka
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Premsore View Post
In 1970, SF started the practice of automatically promoting to E-5 upon graduation. Problem was, us guys who had graduated in the previous few months weren't grandfathered in, so there were a bunch of pissed off E-4's for about a year since there were no E-5 slots opening up now.
So Pete, it sounds like between 70 and 74, SF changed again? Wow.
I was graduated in August of '69 as an Spec. E-4(Commo). Starting with the very next class(Sept.?, Oct.?), all SFQC grads were automatically promoted to E-5. I was one of those pissed off E-4's. They realized the error of their ways ~a year later, and there were a whole bunch of E-4's promoted at the same time. All our promotion orders were backdated to the date of our SFQC graduation. No back pay though.

Noah W
Noah Werka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 18:11   #41
Chucko
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradude54 View Post
I’m a QP but went through SFQC a long time ago and was medically discharged in 1993, so I’m seriously out of the loop now. So hopefully I’m not too far off base asking this one here.

In a comment on military dot com someone posted that everyone wearing the long tab was an E-6 or higher. That sounds odd to me so I thought that I’d ask it here. At the point when a candidate graduates SFQC are they promoted to a certain pay grade? What is the lowest rank that someone can be at the point in their career that they’re awarded the long tab?
What in the world is a "long tab?" When is it awarded?

I read it on many posts and is something I should know, but I don't. Inquiring minds want to know.
Old 12-05-2017, 18:40   #42
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucko View Post
What in the world is a "long tab?"
Kapish??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3stack.jpg (57.8 KB, 43 views)

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 19:05   #43
Joker
Quiet Professional

Now Chucko, do push-ups...
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 21:06   #44
Chucko
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_BPK View Post
Kapish??
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker View Post
Now Chucko, do push-ups...
That's a big 10-4. Thanks. I never heard that until on this site but is worth a hundred pushups....maybe tomorrow.