Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Area Studies > Asia

Old 06-17-2017, 05:24   #16
hoot72
Guerrilla

A very strange man indeed.

On one hand, he tell's the US to kindly leave. But leaves the backdoor open along with a total intelligence failure that the Abu Syaff and their band of thieves have now evolved into an ISIS type organization and have brought in a whole bunch of foreigners into Mindanao via Borneo so easily.

I guess corruption and back door dealings are still going on between the police/military and what have you. Nothing changes in the Philippines.

Money is king.
hoot72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 12:32   #17
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

We've been "assisting" the Flips for decades in their war against islamic terrorism...... they are not winning.

Not really sure what's holding the Phil army back from destroying the entire population of islamic terrorists in their country.
Old 06-17-2017, 18:31   #18
hoot72
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
We've been "assisting" the Flips for decades in their war against islamic terrorism...... they are not winning.

Not really sure what's holding the Phil army back from destroying the entire population of islamic terrorists in their country.

Corruption TS. Quite simply corruption. At all levels of government in Mindanao. And leaking intelligence to the bad guys.
Old 06-17-2017, 19:11   #19
Mustang Man
Guerrilla

Quote:
Corruption TS. Quite simply corruption. At all levels of government in Mindanao. And leaking intelligence to the bad guys.
That's part of it. Don't get me wrong, I know they're a corrupt country. I'm just thinking it's more about Duterte holding back due to UN & humanitarian constraints with possible intervention. He's taken a very ballsy approach to his war on drugs, that brought world wide criticism. I'm sure he'd want to apply his drug approach to Islamists but is concerned of world out cry. He seems like a genuine nationalist with a high approval rating and trust of his people. I'm sure we'll see serious action by him in the near future if things continue to escalate.

BMT
Mustang Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 19:25   #20
Sohei
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang Man View Post
That's part of it. Don't get me wrong, I know they're a corrupt country. I'm just thinking it's more about Duterte holding back due to UN & humanitarian constraints with possible intervention. He's taken a very ballsy approach to his war on drugs, that brought world wide criticism. I'm sure he'd want to apply his drug approach to Islamists but is concerned of world out cry. He seems like a genuine nationalist with a high approval rating and trust of his people. I'm sure we'll see serious action by him in the near future if things continue to escalate.
His attacking terrorists would receive far less of an outcry than his methods of dealing with drug traffickers. However, I am curious as to his motives behind not destroying the terrorists operating there as I don't believe it's based on his concerns for negative feedback.
Sohei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 20:50   #21
Sohei
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brush Okie View Post
He would kill the golden goose. No more terrorists means no more US aid money to skim off. Our politicans really live in the land of frolicking unicorns.
That was my thoughts as well, but I thought I may have been an outlier on that one.
Sohei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 04:05   #22
hoot72
Guerrilla

The foreigners would usually fly into Indonesia (JakRta or Bali)and connect on to flights heading to Tarakan or smaller towns closer to Sebatik island which is their exit point to get to anywhere in Mindanao bypassing any Philipine sea patrols. Very easy to do. And been used for years.
Old 06-18-2017, 09:49   #23
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brush Okie View Post
He would kill the golden goose. No more terrorists means no more US aid money to skim off. Our politicans really live in the land of frolicking unicorns.
That makes sense.........
Old 06-18-2017, 11:44   #24
Mustang Man
Guerrilla

He's playing both sides

Duterte has been separating himself further and further from the U.S. due to Obummers policies while shifting to China. What we're now seeing in the Philippines is likely Covert Action (Propaganda, Political Action, Paramilitary Ops, and Lethal Action) to destabilize and remove Duterte from power. This is now something we're learning and understanding with Assad and Syria. Timing is everything, ISIS insurgency was hardly an issue in the Philippines until Duterte won the last election defeating the U.S. backed Wall Street banker Mar Roxas. Overall, there are likely more forces at play than just Philipino corruption. Duterte is using and leveraging BOTH the U.S. and China for personal gain of his own country, much like Gamal Nassar did with the Soviets and U.S. in Egpyt.

Just my 2 cents.

BMT
Mustang Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 01:25   #25
Penn
Area Commander

Liveleak Philippine SF vs ISSI Urban

Not sure of the time/date of this video, but it highlights Philippine SF vs ISSI urban and a larger AO then what is being reported here.

https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=e3b_1498715833

The imbed J was a surprise.
Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 03:58   #26
Flagg
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn View Post
Not sure of the time/date of this video, but it highlights Philippine SF vs ISSI urban and a larger AO then what is being reported here.

Cheers for that.

The SOF guys at the beginning seem pretty switched on with good kit.

Sounds like the conventional guys at the end got bumped pretty bad.
Flagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 16:34   #27
Joker
Quiet Professional

Published on Jun 28, 2017 on YouTube.
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 00:57   #28
hoot72
Guerrilla

Looks like a tough fight ahead. The malaysian police, special forces and special branchhad a tough time with these buggers back a few years ago snd lost a number of men to ambush scenario's.

The police were outgunned and needed the co-operation of the army to end it.
Old 06-30-2017, 12:17   #29
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn View Post

This is the internet.

Any "video" found on the internet should be suspect, as in anyone could make it and anyone could post it.

It could be real or extremely fake.

Take heed.