Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Area Studies > Africa

Old 02-22-2012, 12:55   #1
MR2
Quiet Professional

US troops now in 4 African countries to fight LRA

NAIROBI, Kenya (AP) -- U.S. troops helping in the fight against a brutal rebel group called the Lord's Resistance Army are now deployed in four Central African countries, the top U.S. special operations commander for Africa said Wednesday.

The U.S. announced in October it was sending about 100 U.S. troops - mostly special operations forces - to Central Africa to advise in the fight against the LRA and its leader Joseph Kony, a bush fighter wanted by the International Criminal Court for crimes against humanity.

Rear Adm. Brian L. Losey, the top U.S. special operations commander for Africa, said the U.S. troops are now stationed in bases in Uganda, Congo, South Sudan and Central African Republic.

Balance here: http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...02-22-08-55-56

It's Never Crowded Along the Extra Mile - Wayne Dyer

WOKE = Willfully Overlooking Known Evil
MR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 15:08   #2
Guymullins
Guerrilla Chief

My comiserations

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR2 View Post
NAIROBI, Kenya (AP) -- U.S. troops helping in the fight against a brutal rebel group called the Lord's Resistance Army are now deployed in four Central African countries, the top U.S. special operations commander for Africa said Wednesday.

The U.S. announced in October it was sending about 100 U.S. troops - mostly special operations forces - to Central Africa to advise in the fight against the LRA and its leader Joseph Kony, a bush fighter wanted by the International Criminal Court for crimes against humanity.

Rear Adm. Brian L. Losey, the top U.S. special operations commander for Africa, said the U.S. troops are now stationed in bases in Uganda, Congo, South Sudan and Central African Republic.

Balance here: http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...02-22-08-55-56
Hell holes all, and rife with diseases that have not yet been invented. These guys are going to earn their dollars. The LRA are unbelievably savage and primitive group. Their military skills are few, but they know their area and operate like ghosts within it.
Guymullins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 15:19   #3
kgoerz
Quiet Professional

Come on, you all can't be that blind. There are precious Metals there son.
Old 02-22-2012, 20:25   #4
cat in the hat
Quiet Professional

I worked for ADM Losey last year and He knows the value of SF in those environments. While he might lean towards his roots for other missions, when it comes to UW/FID, he knows who does it best.

American on the inside, useful on the outside
cat in the hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 11:15   #5
CloseDanger
Guerrilla

AFRICOM interactive map.
CloseDanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:58   #6
spherojon
Guerrilla

This is the Kony 2012 movement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4MnpzG5Sqc
Old 03-07-2012, 19:43   #7
DevilSide
Guerrilla

Just watched kony 2012, I'd say it's definitely a honorable project, and I encourage everyone to spread this video. It really is sad what goes on over there...
The general who advances without coveting fame and retreats without fearing disgrace, whose only thought is to protect his country and do good service for his sovereign, is the jewel of the kingdom - Sun Tzu
DevilSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 20:07   #8
afchic
Area Commander

My daughter asked me to watch the you tube video tonight. In the 30 minutes I did, it got over 2.5 MILLION hits. It was only at 200,000 last night and is now over 11 million.

My daughter is talking to her student body president tonight to see how they can participate in Paper the Night on April 20. If you see the video, it is OUR kids, and KIDS all over the world that are doing this. The pride I have in my daughter right now brings me to tears.

My military mind tells me we can't be the world's policeman, but when you see something like this, as a parent, it is hard to explain to your child why. Why is this happening to kids their age, and much much younger. Foreign Policy just doesn't cut it to a 14 year old.

I am going to do what I can to help her foray into the vast world, and know that one person can make a difference.
afchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 20:34   #9
MTN Medic
Quiet Professional

Holy $#!&! This has been going on in that God forsaken land for thousands of years. I am sorry that people just found out about this (and likely the presence of the continent of Africa) but shut the hell up.

What in the hell does awareness do? I will give you an answer: Make upper middle class school girls feel better about themselves while thousands are slaughtered. Great. Good job. Sorry if I seem callous, but if you don't already know what the US is doing in the area already (hint: what these people are asking for) you should probably shut up until you have read a little bit on the subject.
Old 03-07-2012, 20:58   #10
head
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTN Medic View Post
What in the hell does awareness do?
Remember it's an election year. There is a moment in the video that points out that a certain person decided to publicize he sent troops to Uganda.

I would be surprised if the SEALs don't interdict Kony on the first week of November.
Old 03-07-2012, 21:12   #11
Mntneers
Asset

Certainly an outstanding ad campaign, but don't be so fast to jump on the "Kony 2012" bandwagon. Not that it's not a great message because it is, but the charity behind it "Invisible Children", at least in my eyes, could essentially be called a scam.

http://thedailywh.at/2012/03/07/on-kony-2012-2/

And all of these influential high school, college and young adult aged activists-for-a-day are going to donate and tell their friends to donate to that group instead of many others that will actually help those kids in Africa.
Mntneers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 21:19   #12
head
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mntneers View Post
Certainly an outstanding ad campaign, but don't be so fast to jump on the "Kony 2012" bandwagon. Not that it's not a great message because it is, but the charity behind it "Invisible Children", at least in my eyes, could essentially be called a scam.

http://thedailywh.at/2012/03/07/on-kony-2012-2/

And all of these influential high school, college and young adult aged activists-for-a-day are going to donate and tell their friends to donate to that group instead of many others that will actually help those kids in Africa.
Gotta love this photo from that link.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2941.jpg (100.5 KB, 188 views)
Old 03-07-2012, 22:03   #13
John_Chrichton
SF Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by head View Post
I thought it was photoshoped. Hipsters with AKs and RPGs haha

The American Apparel People's Liberation Army.

This campaign is bullcrap. Remember when everyone was gung-ho about the genocide in Darfur? Now nobody gives a damn. Public attention has been directed elsewhere.
Old 03-07-2012, 23:58   #14
charlietwo
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by head View Post
head! That picture simultaneously made me laugh and cry. You may have melted my brain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by afchic View Post
My daughter asked me to watch the you tube video tonight. In the 30 minutes I did, it got over 2.5 MILLION hits. It was only at 200,000 last night and is now over 11 million..
Look at the Invisible Children financial statement The functional expenses are.. well, I don't understand what they're doing with their $7m revenue (to put it lightly). Perhaps they would like to send in the terrifying Blue Helmet Crew? When I noticed they were trending #2 on Twitter, I didn't trust it. Seems too fabricated.

Kudos to your daughter for paying attention to something outside of her sphere. Just remind her that the only way to stop tyrants is to shoot them in the face.
charlietwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 01:28   #15
mugwump
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTN Medic View Post
Holy $#!&! This has been going on in that God forsaken land for thousands of years. I am sorry that people just found out about this (and likely the presence of the continent of Africa) but shut the hell up.

What in the hell does awareness do? I will give you an answer: Make upper middle class school girls feel better about themselves while thousands are slaughtered. Great. Good job. Sorry if I seem callous, but if you don't already know what the US is doing in the area already (hint: what these people are asking for) you should probably shut up until you have read a little bit on the subject.
Watch the video. Sing along...All they are sayyyying is give war a chance.

The organization brought the public pressure to bear on the Obama administration that resulted in the current deployment. It's a social media campaign to keep the pressure on congress to actually finish what we started. Not a bad thing.

This movement is bringing a lot of positive attention to SF and their mission re: UW/FID. I would have thought that's a good thing. The Navy would know what to do with this public relations windfall.

I have questions about their financial transparency and I doubt they'll get my money, but they address that issue as well. At least they aren't saying lets all get together in a drum circle for world peace. They're saying put pressure on your representatives to finish the job and kill this bastard.

“Klaatu barada nikto”
mugwump is offline   Reply With Quote